Back 2 Back Champs @ VAJ-Cats-tic Voyage: The Mahfuggin GDT!

Noeller

29 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

I still think this is BC trying to sell hope and or trying to play mind games with their potential playoff opponents. 

VAJ or Rourke it doesn't matter. We can handle those ***** cats.

Rourke will be a sitting duck if he plays. He won't have the escapability he once had. Our 2 Defensive Ends will have their fill of the guy. 

I'm still curious how our qb gets his helmet ripped off and we gotta wait for the command center to make the call cuz the morons on the field are incompetent.  

I don't watch the other games as much but it still boggles my mind how what is called in 1 game isn't called in the other. Cfl has a huge problem with reffing, it would be fine if they called the same stuff against every team but they don't. Is there a way to remove refs who perhaps have put money down on these games from the equation. It's 2022. Surely something can be done about this lack of consistency in the calls from game to game 

A little concerned that we got gashed in the run game again with what will essentially be our #1 defensive unit moving forward, minus Nichols. Special teams needs to get their s**t together. Brutal effort. Really hope Liegghio is done with these "yip" type games, where once he misses a field goal the misses keep piling up. Missed field goals here and there are fine but these multiple miss games are killer. Cannot afford one of those in the playoffs. Brown looked good for a rookie minus the rookie mistakes. Hard to evaluate VAJ much as he didnt have to do much. We'll see what happens if we face them in the west final on the frozen tundra with a full squad. Like our chances.

7 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Tricky interpretation.  If he's standing on the sideline and field the ball in the air, or on a bounce, sure.  He's got one foot in, one out and picks the ball off the turf in bounds.

IMO that's illegal participation.

Here's the relevant section bolded to emphasize the particular situation:

It is illegal for a player of either team to go out of bounds, without contact with an opponent, and to reach back into or re-enter the field of play to touch or recover a loose ball.

7 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

I don’t disagree with you that this seems inconsistent, especially when his deliberate intent seems clear here. I am looking into a possible explanation as to why the rule is the way it is, hopefully my source can give me a coherent answer. 

So the person I have contact with is a senior official in amateur football covering Ontario at various levels from high school to junior and CIS for decades. He cannot speak specifically to the CFL rule but says the amateur rule book defines a kickoff as a “ball in flight” until someone in the field of play touches it, and not a “loose ball”. For it to be a loose ball it would have required some sort of prior possession. Therefore if a ball in flight touches anything out of bounds, the ball itself is declared out of bounds. 

He acknowledges that this is a weird situation, and cannot say what the intent is behind the rule allowing a player to be out of bounds and field a kickoff that lands in bounds, only that this is not the same as touching a “loose ball” (like a fumbled ball) while out of bounds, which would be illegal participation. 

8 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

They do know the rules. On a kickoff the receiving player can step out of bounds, stay out of bounds, and field the ball in bounds and it is considered an illegal kickoff. Illegal participation is where a player goes out of bounds without being forced out and re-enters the field of play to play the ball. Here the BC player deliberately stepped out of bounds and fielded the ball, which makes the ball out of bounds. 

I guess what I’m still trying to understand is why there is any need for this rule as outlined above? Why not play it like any punt (except for the fact you can strategically punt ball out)? Seems straightforward enough. If the ball goes out of bounds on its own it’s an illegal kick off. But if the ball remains in the field of play, no matter how close to the sidelines is without going out, the receiving player must play the ball. Or risk of being recovered by the other team. At the very least the rule as it is written seems directly at odds with the illegal participation rule. It is confusing at best. That said, the bombers did not protest in any way (special teams coach look depressed rather than outraged) so they must’ve known that is the rule.

A few musings the day after as I wake up in BC. An expected loss but a lot closer of a game because of the late td. Brown after his first read gets very jumpy and either runs or gets sacked. On an iffy pi don’t change personnel snap the ball quick. BC counts delay of game penalties since 2011 on their scoreboard. Lots of Bomber fans in my section most were great some were dicks and others were **** faced, but I met some really great CFL fans before the game in the bars and during. BC place is really nice but the empty upper deck looks sad when they are not covered, they closed the roof because of wild fire smoke in the area. All in all a nothing game and the Bombers played like it with a a still very green Qb. Grant’s td was classic him made a couple of moves and he was gone and was close to breaking another one. Finally special team kick coverage needs a lot of work.

It ended the way I thought...Leo's getting the 2 pts.   ...As for the game itself.....did not like our cover teams on those kick offs....Letting the other team start at the 50 yd. line continuously is going to cost us.....As for Brown....he's green and it shows....panicked a few times and ended up eating the ball....However that was better than throwing those two outs that went for six in the wrong direction...Thought after the first one he'd have known that you better look off the lurking defender, on those type of passes, and make damned sure our guy was in a better position to receive the ball....Disaster twice...the first one was rushed as it was a bad snap but the second one was all on him....Leggs was off of his game ....can't have that as those pts. are going to be needed in the playoffs...All in all it wasn't that bad an effort from a team with missing parts that make a difference....Didn't like that injury to Kolankowski....hope he's going to be alright

I'm not so sure we should be all that critical of Legs this game. All of the attempts were long and he was accurate , but short on everyone. I think the air is/was a lot denser at BC Place so the length of kicks is a little less than the rest of the CFL stadiums. Might be wrong but all the kicks and punts looked a little shorter than normally used to seeing.

Our run defense was also worse than usual.

I love BA but I don't think he should be trying to kill RBs the same way he kills receivers. They are a lot shifter. Cost us a lot of yards this game.

One more lament about letting Steven Richardson go. Our defense is generally built around playing linebackers in coverage as much as possible. Important to not let running backs get through the line or its basically a first down.

1 hour ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

So the person I have contact with is a senior official in amateur football covering Ontario at various levels from high school to junior and CIS for decades. He cannot speak specifically to the CFL rule but says the amateur rule book defines a kickoff as a “ball in flight” until someone in the field of play touches it, and not a “loose ball”. For it to be a loose ball it would have required some sort of prior possession. Therefore if a ball in flight touches anything out of bounds, the ball itself is declared out of bounds. 

He acknowledges that this is a weird situation, and cannot say what the intent is behind the rule allowing a player to be out of bounds and field a kickoff that lands in bounds, only that this is not the same as touching a “loose ball” (like a fumbled ball) while out of bounds, which would be illegal participation. 

Well, thanks for the follow up. Is there still the missing video footage? 

5 minutes ago, coach17 said:

I'm not so sure we should be all that critical of Legs this game. All of the attempts were long and he was accurate , but short on everyone. I think the air is/was a lot denser at BC Place so the length of kicks is a little less than the rest of the CFL stadiums. Might be wrong but all the kicks and punts looked a little shorter than normally used to seeing.

Sea level air. 

9 hours ago, Mr. Perfect said:

Nothing to hang our heads about tonight. BC acting like they won the Grey Cup says all you need to know about their team and ours considering we were playing with what was essentially a B team. All that said...

- For a first start I was very impressed with Dru Brown. He certainly played better than Adams and you could say he looked better than Cornelius or anything that Ottawa has trotted out all year.

- Grant, as previously stated is just fine.

- Our special teams kick and punt coverage is not.

- Not going to harp on Legs too much. I wonder if he was maybe getting under the ball a bit too much on those kicks considering the kick he made in Saskatchewan, and I highly doubt our coaching staff would trot him out if they felt those kicks were outside his range.

- Desmond Lawrence may not want to unpack the rest of his belongings since he arrived in town. Time for another apple and a road map.

- BA looked awesome! Re-establishing that physical presence over the middle.

- Really happy for Rasheed Bailey. He's mostly been an after thought behind Demski, Schoen and Ellingson. A great leader and foot soldier who got rewarded tonight for all he does.

- Don't love not trying the onside kick, but nothing I'll lose sleep over in a meaningless game.

- Stamps or Lions, don't care. Bombers by 30 in the west final.

100% spot on recap. 

1 hour ago, Geebrr said:

BC’s Grey Cup 

Reminds me of the game in Cgy at the end of last year vs our back up's. How they celebrated that. It was their GC and so is this one for BC. 

9 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Rourke will be a sitting duck if he plays. He won't have the escapability he once had. Our 2 Defensive Ends will have their fill of the guy. 

Their starting ol couldn’t handle our banged up pass rush. Add in jj and more health and it would get ugly for rourke. 

12 minutes ago, coach17 said:

This was a great learning experience for Leggs about kicking in that shitty dome. Not even a little bit concerned about him. 

10 hours ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Yea not his finest moment tonight but two long fg in bc stadium where the air is dead I won’t fault him too much on that.

Was wondering about the two long-range field goals. I know he has made one big one ( game winner I think ) and has badly gassed one as well. Given that the game was a write-off for us, why not let the kid try a couple of big ones and learn how to kick them, without over kicking and gassing them? Kinda like standing on the T box and hitting the ball over a pond. Hit it hard, but hit it square.

Can't figure out why Leggs was coming up short on those long fieldgoal attempts....I know he's got the Leg for long distance attempts....something wasn't working...BUT what is working is his tackling, after he missed one 3 pointer and their returner was heading for open turf....he nailed him.....Luv it when the kicker can get in those licks heh heh

5 minutes ago, Stickem said:

Can't figure out why Leggs was coming up short on those long fieldgoal attempts....I know he's got the Leg for long distance attempts....something wasn't working...BUT what is working is his tackling, after he missed one 3 pointer and their returner was heading for open turf....he nailed him.....Luv it when the kicker can get in those licks heh heh

It's the dome... Leggs is still young and learning. Last night was a learning lesson for him. 

Haven't seen this anywhere else but apparently Rhymes tried to go after BA post-game according to 3DN.  

"Unfortunately, the press box conversation after the game was that Rhymes felt well enough to cross the hallway to the Bombers’ locker room and attempt a confrontation with the safety — the second time the Lions have been accused of that type of behaviour this year."

https://3downnation.com/2022/10/16/lions-show-that-its-dangerous-to-terry-and-eight-other-thoughts-on-b-c-beating-the-bombers/

8 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

Haven't seen this anywhere else but apparently Rhymes tried to go after BA post-game according to 3DN.  

"Unfortunately, the press box conversation after the game was that Rhymes felt well enough to cross the hallway to the Bombers’ locker room and attempt a confrontation with the safety — the second time the Lions have been accused of that type of behaviour this year."

https://3downnation.com/2022/10/16/lions-show-that-its-dangerous-to-terry-and-eight-other-thoughts-on-b-c-beating-the-bombers/

Haha what a bunch of passes. Hope BA pops him again next game. 

7 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

The guy is handsy and pushes off constantly, BA is aggressive tackling players it’s call football. Next time they play tell Rhymes to put on some flags