Future Ring of Honour Members (Thanks for the idea, DT)

rebusrankin

18 hours ago, GOLD MEMBER said:

Where people are born holds no water for BB HOF never mind ROH status. None!

It absolutely does. Maybe it shouldn’t but it does. Walby was chosen as the first member ever of the ROH over Ploen, and the club even acknowledged at his ceremony how fitting it was that a native-born Winnipegger was the first one up there. When Harris goes up there, a large part of the narrative will be how the home town guy came back specifically to end the drought and restore glory to Winnipeg. 

7 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

It absolutely does. Maybe it shouldn’t but it does. Walby was chosen as the first member ever of the ROH over Ploen, and the club even acknowledged at his ceremony how fitting it was that a native-born Winnipegger was the first one up there. When Harris goes up there, a large part of the narrative will be how the home town guy came back specifically to end the drought and restore glory to Winnipeg. 

yeah...I would think a Winnipegger who had a stellar career..especially for a number of yrs here would be a recipient before a 2..3 yr American who had a good to great time here....it does have a lot of bearing

10 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Walby is the best at his position to ever play. He absolutely should have been first.

3 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Walby is the best at his position to ever play. He absolutely should have been first.

yup...agreed....and in a few yrs he will be the second best...with the best also being up there, and a long tenured Bomber....7 of his 12 yrs have been here, and I truly think he has 1 more in him....and when he goes into the CFL Hall of Fame as the best there ever was, you can guarantee it will be in Bomber colors...we been blessed to have him here for 7 yrs now, and is super awesome he got rewarded with 2 Cups...so far....as he was loyal and hung in and was key to turning the room around...even when first few yrs were fugly

2 minutes ago, Booch said:

yup...agreed....and in a few yrs he will be the second best...with the best also being up there, and a long tenured Bomber....7 of his 12 yrs have been here, and I truly think he has 1 more in him....and when he goes into the CFL Hall of Fame as the best there ever was, you can guarantee it will be in Bomber colors...we been blessed to have him here for 7 yrs now, and is super awesome he got rewarded with 2 Cups...so far....as he was loyal and hung in and was key to turning the room around...even when first few yrs were fugly

That's another thing, Walby played for the Bombers for 16 years. 

I have a high bar for RoH. The ideal is the Walby's, Stegall's, Brown's. Among the best of their position in history with long careers entirely with the Bombers.

3 hours ago, Jesse said:

Demski is one of those guys who's not there yet, but still has time to do special things.

Ring of Honour discussions are hard, because it is the highest honour. Not making it isn't an insult, you need to be the top of the top and have had team success.

We can't put every talented role player up there. And I also don't love the idea of guys who have only played for the Bombers for 2ish seasons - especially if they've had long careers for other teams.

Bryant is the only player who could retire tomorrow and has already done enough, imo. 

I agree with this analysis of ROH suitability. It is very subjective as to what the criteria should be. It has to be much bigger than HOF for me. These are the guys whose numbers would be retired if the club did that. You say #85, no question who we are talking about. Or #6, #63, #11. These are players who when you say their names, it is synonymous with Blue Bombers and nothing else. The face of the franchise, who if you (and I say “you” as the average fan, not the die hards) saw out of uniform in a crowd at the mall you would instantly know who they were. And on top of that, I think you need to accomplish something no other player before you even did, that makes you the best ever, not just best at the time. This is key for me in considering the honour. Longevity will play a role in that as the stats pile up. 

That’s just my take, others will have their own, and that’s fine. But for me, RIGHT NOW (not assuming where we end up at the conclusion of 2022) Bryant is the only one I say is a lock. He’s the only 3 time MOOL in history. But I would honestly have trouble picking him out of a crowd of players (such is the nature of the position) and I don’t think casual fans around the league would automatically know his number. 

O’Shea Is definitely tracking there, but for TODAY is doing what Grant and Murphy did before him in terms of wins and Grey Cup rings. Collaros is on par now with Clements, Jones, and Jonas with MOP awards, and even with Ploen with consecutive rings. Now, a third straight Grey Cup and second consecutive MOP changes the narrative totally for them both and fast tracks them into lock status. Bighill and Jefferson are electric players but we’ve seen that dominance and awards before from Ty Jones and Greg Battle, so until they go up I don’t consider the current guys. Hardrick is HOF but not ring to me. Demski is not in the conversation for the Ring at this point, and would be even less considered if he were not a Winnipegger. Not dumping on him by saying this, but I ask “What has he done that no other Bomber before at his position has ever done that makes him the best of the best?” And I don’t see anything objectively to answer that. 

Just my two cents. 

12 minutes ago, Jesse said:

That's another thing, Walby played for the Bombers for 16 years. 

I have a high bar for RoH. The ideal is the Walby's, Stegall's, Brown's. Among the best of their position in history with long careers entirely with the Bombers.

Absolutely right. There's a WBBFC HoF for great players....but the elite of the elite go into the RoH. 

I don't think Charles Roberts has been mentioned, but his list of accomplishments as a Bomber and 5th place on the CFL all-time rushing list should make him a shoo-in for the ROH.  No Bomber running back has ever gained more yards and he did it in 7 seasons.

Edited by Fatty Liver

Just now, Fatty Liver said:

I don't think Charles Roberts has been mentioned, but his list of accomplishments as a Bomber and 5th place on the CFL all-time rushing list should make him a shoo-in for the ROH.  No Bomber running back has ever gained more yards.

The fact that he's not up there makes me wants to burn the whole thing down - but the topic was guys from the current team.

1 minute ago, Fatty Liver said:

I don't think Charles Roberts has been mentioned, but his list of accomplishments as a Bomber and 5th place on the CFL all-time rushing list should make him a shoo-in for the ROH.  No Bomber running back has ever gained more yards.

based purely on his on field work 100%. Guy is a legend not only for the bombers but league wide. Just a shame that his lack of professionalism sour people's memory of the guy.

16 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

based purely on his on field work 100%. Guy is a legend not only for the bombers but league wide. Just a shame that his lack of professionalism sour people's memory of the guy.

That and his quick, unceremonious departure from the club via trade. If half of the stories are half true, then he was the opposite of a FIFO guy. 

Not sure what regard the club holds him in despite his on-field accomplishments. Stegall was honoured by the club multiple times for his achievements, and every 10-15 minute ceremony was “here’s a custom framed jersey, here’s a custom chair with your number on it, key to the city, Order of the Buffalo Hunt, city street named after you, new stadium gate in your honour, come christen the new stadium with Ken Ploen and Matt Dunigan in uniform, now say a few words”, and with Roberts after he set the club rushing record was a quick two minute “hey you broke the record, here’s a TV for you” announcement. But from an on-field production standpoint, he was one of the biggest stars to ever play for the team. 

after his split with wife, and her and kids went back to the U. S he fell into a dark place....and was very depressed...I helped him out a few times prior to his trade away and was sad where he ended up....I will give him credit the dude cared...bled blue and gold, but he did lack the training part of it, but he didnt have to, and he knew it as it was that way with him all his life...too bad he didnt have a real mentor, or a coach who really pushed him in highschool and college....but soley based on accomplishments, and how he affected teams preparation to stop him...he was one of the best...and not just on the Bomber

14 minutes ago, Booch said:

after his split with wife, and her and kids went back to the U. S he fell into a dark place....and was very depressed...I helped him out a few times prior to his trade away and was sad where he ended up....I will give him credit the dude cared...bled blue and gold, but he did lack the training part of it, but he didnt have to, and he knew it as it was that way with him all his life...too bad he didnt have a real mentor, or a coach who really pushed him in highschool and college....but soley based on accomplishments, and how he affected teams preparation to stop him...he was one of the best...and not just on the Bomber

He is the sole reason I am a football fan and will always be the best in my eyes.

I remember being more sore about the holdout he pulled with two weeks to go in the regular season, upset that he had to share the workload with Blount and Mills. Got suspended by the team for the game in Toronto which they lost, ending their 12 game win streak. Team lost the following week against Calgary and never really got its mojo back in the playoffs. Also recall that Rick Worman got away from the spread-the-ball-around offence to give Roberts more touches to placate him after the walk out, and the offensive rhythm got out of synch. I stand to be corrected in the details as I can’t find any stories on Google to corroborate, but that is how my hazy memory recalls it. 

21 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

01 I don't hold against Roberts, the one that bugs me is 2007. In a game you know you need to lean on a guy like him with a rookie qb getting his first start there's no excuses to show up in the alleged condition he did. 

2019 Andrew Harris wins us the 07 GC, and you'll never convince me otherwise...

1 hour ago, bearpants said:

He mentioned Charlie's grey cup no show so I assumed he meant 2007.

he had 2... was not necessarily a guy to show up in the big game. As has been told many times, he enjoyed Grey Cup Week a lot....