Queen Elizabeth Has Died

SpeedFlex27

21 minutes ago, the watcher said:

Someone just died that millions of people  care about . You can be as anti monarch as you want but the thoughtful and kind thing to do would be to leave them to mourn in there own way . Making jokes Iwithin  hours IS thoughtless and ignorant towards them regardless of your own opinion.

I've had 40 years to form my opinion on a family that provides rules on how you are to interact with them.  Her kicking the royal bucket doesn't change my feeling one way or the other.  Mourn away, serfs.

PS - Just wait until Trump dies.  

Edited by Wideleft

9 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

I've had 40 years to form my opinion on a family that provides rules on how you are to interact with them.  Her kicking the royal bucket doesn't change my feeling one way or the other.  Mourn away, serfs.

PS - Just wait until Trump dies.  

You don't get what I was saying. I'm talking about your rude treatment of other people. Not your opinion of the monarchy. I expected more of you.

14 minutes ago, the watcher said:

You don't get what I was saying. I'm talking about your rude treatment of other people. Not your opinion of the monarchy. I expected more of you.

There is a huge difference in "treating people rudely" and offending their sensibilities.

As someone who firmly believes in equality for all, I will not apologize for demeaning royalty in any shape or flavour, because that is THE most celebrated example of inequality on this planet.

Edited by Wideleft

34 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

Even though I don't exactly share your opinion,  it's nice that you are not afraid to speak in what you believe in and don't back down just because others don't share that same opinion.     

1 hour ago, iHeart said:

Time for Canada to move away from the monarchs on our currency IMO.   If we have to change them all anyway, think we should move to something more representative of Canada.

5 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Regardless of what anyone thinks of the monarchy this is a significant event. She was still our head of state for 70 years! The impact might not be immediate but her passing will likely change politics in many commonwealth countries. I be the monarchy is ditched in more than a few commonwealth countries going forward.

Charles is going to find it hard to walk in her shoes.

3 hours ago, Wideleft said:

There is a huge difference in "treating people rudely" and offending their sensibilities.

As someone who firmly believes in equality for all, I will not apologize for demeaning royalty in any shape or flavour, because that is THE most celebrated example of inequality on this planet.

So if there is someone I don't like , say the owner of a large multi national Corp, I should head to their funeral and  crack jokes and mock them ?  No , I wouldn't because it's insulting for mourners. The world needs alot more courtesy not more Maga style insults and mocking.

44 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Charles is going to find it hard to walk in her shoes.

It will be interesting to see where he takes it. He certainly will be a supporter fighting climate change and  of the Green movement in general . But walking in her shoes is a tall order.

4 hours ago, iHeart said:

(would that make Camilla the Queen mother if she outlives Charles?)

Why would she be the queen mother when William won't be a queen and she isn't his mother.....

the queen mother wasn't a job, it was a literal description. She was the queen's mother... Yes she was a queen consort when her husband was king but once he died she was nothing more than the mom to the queen. 

33 minutes ago, the watcher said:

So if there is someone I don't like , say the owner of a large multi national Corp, I should head to their funeral and  crack jokes and mock them ?  No , I wouldn't because it's insulting for mourners. The world needs alot more courtesy not more Maga style insults and mocking.

I'm not at her funeral.

I did not attack her personally.

I did not attack anyone personally.  

I would take a dump in Trump's open coffin if given a chance.

Edited by Wideleft

59 minutes ago, the watcher said:

But walking in her shoes is a tall order.

I'm a bit young and maybe my memory is a bit off on the publics perception of the Royal family.   But wasn't Lady Diana absolutely adored and loved by the world to the highest extent all while Charles and the now former Queen vilified for the longest time as being cold and I guess generally looked upon with far less respect then her?   I thought most people mainly "like the Queen" because she was a fixture and has been around for so long and her quirks on how she dressed and how she carried herself in public.  I don't really remember people really supporting her for her actions.  I do remember people being absolutely devastated and crushed when Lady Di was killed because of who she was but also for all the actions she did for the people across the world.   

I don't think Charles really has much to do to follow suit and I don't think the general public worldwide will really have any high expectations from him.   Now if William were to be King,  I think it will really be a massive deal and "the popularity" of the Royal family will be renewed and he will have massive expectations since he reminds many people of his mother. 

4 hours ago, iHeart said:

well according to this it looks like we won't be seeing Charles on currency for another couple of years

https://people.com/royals/queen-elizabeth-death-changes-uk-currency-stamps/

However the courts have to change all the paper work to Court of Kings Bench.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

4 hours ago, Rich said:

Time for Canada to move away from the monarchs on our currency IMO.   If we have to change them all anyway, think we should move to something more representative of Canada.

She was our Head of State as will Charles now. The only way to get them off our money is to become a Republic where a President is a HOS.

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

I'm a bit young and maybe my memory is a bit off on the publics perception of the Royal family.   But wasn't Lady Diana absolutely adored and loved by the world to the highest extent all while Charles and the now former Queen vilified for the longest time as being cold and I guess generally looked upon with far less respect then her?   I thought most people mainly "like the Queen" because she was a fixture and has been around for so long and her quirks on how she dressed and how she carried herself in public.  I don't really remember people really supporting her for her actions.  I do remember people being absolutely devastated and crushed when Lady Di was killed because of who she was but also for all the actions she did for the people across the world.   

I don't think Charles really has much to do to follow suit and I don't think the general public worldwide will really have any high expectations from him.   Now if William were to be King,  I think it will really be a massive deal and "the popularity" of the Royal family will be renewed and he will have massive expectations since he reminds many people of his mother. 

Charles puts in 10 years as King then abdicates his throne to William. 

12 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Why would she be the queen mother when William won't be a queen and she isn't his mother.....

the queen mother wasn't a job, it was a literal description. She was the queen's mother... Yes she was a queen consort when her husband was king but once he died she was nothing more than the mom to the queen. 

IIRC, a queen consort who becomes a widow assumes the title of queen dowager.

The Queen waved at me once. early eighties I think.

I was crossing Portage, standing on Meridian. cold day, nobody around. RCMP motorcycles in formation went by.

then A Bentley. Queen at the window, looking out, with hand held in wave position.

since I was the only person there, she was waving at me!

Edited by Mark F

I was remembering this morning the time the Queen was visiting Winnipeg and the boat we had her on ran out of gas so she had to step onto another boat which was photographed and we were dragged thru the mud by the British press. I always thought who was the guy who forgot to put gas in that boat. Lol.

Is my memory correct?