Mos Class vs Marino Cheap Shot

BigBlue

48 minutes ago, Booch said:

generally in CFL a DT and or NT will in effect draw 2 guys in blocking....it's just how things are schemed a lot...so saying Marino was very effective is a bit of a stretch...You can get same kind of attention and production from pretty much any interior guy...minus the penalties' and stupidity, and all the distractions that go with it.

Now if he was blowing plays up behind line of scrimmage constantly, pushing lineman into QB..piling up sacks and or tackles....it would be a different story....but he wasnt.

Are they weaker tho due to this...likely, as the team environment there now has a huge dent in it, and other losers there are now gonna play a bit less agressively, for fear of being next....and slap that right on CD for not dealing with all the BS earlier...and by earlier I mean last yr already

Christmas is 10x the dt that Marino is. Not an exaggeration. That guy could be an elite dt before long. He’s been extremely good in limited reps. 

as long as toxicity remains discipline won’t come. And the later you get into a football season the harder it is to win. Injuries and adversity compound and pressure escalates. The riders will continue to be worse and get worse this year, same as always with dicky and back to jones. 

poise wins. 

10 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Agreed. Every nose gets a double team for a lot of the game. It's what you are able to do with that double team that seperates the Stoves from the Marinos.

The difference between a good nose and a bad nose isn’t that the bad nose occupies their ol. What starts as a double leads to one of the ol switching off frequently and in the run game getting to the 2nd level. A good nose can push both guys back and close/play the a gaps in the run and push the pocket onto the lap of the qb. 

look at how frequently biggie gets blocked by an ol in games with out stove going back to last year. 

a nose lines up on the c or in the a gap. A guy who gets double teamed as a 3 tech they arent the same as a nose tackle. If they can blow up a play they can accomplish a similar end as a 1/2 tech. But even then, a true nose effects the snap. It’s hard thing centers aren’t used to and in the cfl centers are generally smaller. Guards are use to it bigger and don’t have to worry about getting hit right after then snap. 

11 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Christmas is 10x the dt that Marino is. Not an exaggeration. That guy could be an elite dt before long. He’s been extremely good in limited reps. 

as long as toxicity remains discipline won’t come. And the later you get into a football season the harder it is to win. Injuries and adversity compound and pressure escalates. The riders will continue to be worse and get worse this year, same as always with dicky and back to jones. 

poise wins. 

The difference between a good nose and a bad nose isn’t that the bad nose occupies their ol. What starts as a double leads to one of the ol switching off frequently and in the run game getting to the 2nd level. A good nose can push both guys back and close/play the a gaps in the run and push the pocket onto the lap of the qb. 

look at how frequently biggie gets blocked by an ol in games with out stove going back to last year. 

a nose lines up on the c or in the a gap. A guy who gets double teamed as a 3 tech they arent the same as a nose tackle. If they can blow up a play they can accomplish a similar end as a 1/2 tech. But even then, a true nose effects the snap. It’s hard thing centers aren’t used to and in the cfl centers are generally smaller. Guards are use to it bigger and don’t have to worry about getting hit right after then snap. 

Good expansion on what I stated. I totally agree.

yeah they have several guys on their roster who are way better, and their development was being stagnated having that putz around....the Rider's were trying to cultivate this bad boy image, a team who plays on the edge, and it bit them right in the ass....2.5 yrs now with this experiment and they finally maybe just seeing the problem with it

37 minutes ago, Booch said:

yeah they have several guys on their roster who are way better, and their development was being stagnated having that putz around....the Rider's were trying to cultivate this bad boy image, a team who plays on the edge, and it bit them right in the ass....2.5 yrs now with this experiment and they finally maybe just seeing the problem with it

All of it is because of how badly we dominated them physically in the past couple years but instead of bringing in players who could match our physicality between the whistles they thought bringing in bad boys would do it. They seriously miscalculated. A dirty player doesn't make you more physically dominant....it just makes you a dirty team that loses a significant amount of yardage, momentum, and points due to penalty flags.

All the stupidity and locker room cancer they took on and we still physically dominate them. That's going to be a tough thing to overcome for them. Now they have 2 problems to solve before they can compete at our level.

Edited by GCn20

Over at Riderfans, the majority of posters are outraged at Marino being cut, blaming it on pressure from the TSN panel and social media. The lucid ones are ok with the move and even calling for Duke to follow Marino out the door, accompanied shortly thereafter by Dickenson and Maas. I don't know if the admittedly small sample represents the majority of Rider fans, though.

Marino was a complete non-factor, barely even mentioned during the broadcast, until the stain took a cheap shot at Collaraos at the end of the game. In fact, he's such a non-factor, it's the only time he's ever mentioned - when he's trying to hurt someone. 

Get out of the league, get out of the country. 

15 minutes ago, Noeller said:

again, I'm absolutely certain the league said "enough is enough..." and told the Riders as much: 

Almost certainly that is what happened. They did the same to the Bombers with Dyson. The CFL could suspend him indefinitely but then the CFLPA has the obligation to defend and it almost certainly would not survive arbitration. Therefore, you let the team know that this guy will be chased out of the league one way or another, and it is in your team's best interest to release him and then you just refuse to ever validate another contract for him. He has no legal protection from that.

4 hours ago, bearpants said:

You've got one massive MFer in the middle that looked good... I think #94... he completely stuffed Oliveria on one play for no gain... get that dude more snaps!

That big boy was Miles Brown, 320 lbs of gap plugger.  The last two games have badly exposed the Bombers weakness against the run, it may be partially due to their depleted depth at LB, but I have to think they haven't found the answer yet to the absence of Stove and Nevis at DT.  Sayles and Jake are decent overall DT's but they need a bigger plug in the middle that can't be moved, it appears Ricky Walker and Lawson are just duplicates of the two starters, decent but not great.

27 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Over at Riderfans, the majority of posters are outraged at Marino being cut, blaming it on pressure from the TSN panel and social media. The lucid ones are ok with the move and even calling for Duke to follow Marino out the door, accompanied shortly thereafter by Dickenson and Maas. I don't know if the admittedly small sample represents the majority of Rider fans, though.

I would think that the majority of level headed Rider fans would see this as a good thing for the team, and the league. It's just the absolute wingnuts like Migs (Section139) who see this as a league conspiracy that explains away their losses this season.

6 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

That big boy was Miles Brown, 320 lbs of gap plugger.  The last two games have badly exposed the Bombers weakness against the run, it may be partially due to their depleted depth at LB, but I have to think they haven't found the answer yet to the absence of Stove and Nevis at DT.  Sayles and Jake are decent overall DT's but they need a bigger plug in the middle that can't be moved, it appears Ricky Walker and Lawson are just duplicates of the two starters, decent but not great.

Losing 2/3 of our LBer crew and 2 safeties does not help the run stop at all either. We've been moving Biggie out of the run stop to help in coverage and dropping him deeper down the middle than he should be to help cover the middle of the field against the pass. Having BA back will be huge, as will getting Kyrie,. When Biggie can focus more on the run on 1st down because our lineup is TCB behind him a lot of run plays are going to dry up for the opposition.

Edited by GCn20

17 minutes ago, Tracker said:

I never bother reading that site, so who knows what the overall mood is, but I would suspect the forum fans are not fully representative of all fans, just like MBB likely is not the voice of every Bomber fan out there. The diehards frequent the sites so their opinions are likely more extreme. And although misguided IMO, the “outrage” reaction is not unexpected. When Brendan Dyson was run out of the league, more than a few Bomber fans screamed conspiracy on the old website and claimed the league and TSN were out to unfairly get us with the “Dyson cam” focus, rather than acknowledging that the player was truly dirty as opposed to “hard nosed”. Over time and given the benefit of reflection, fans have changed the narrative and acknowledged that he did not belong in the league either. Typical of any fan base. Thankful that the current Bomber team culture has rubbed off to an extent on the fan base and we won’t make knee jerk excuses for bad apples if they are on our team, for the most part. 

4 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

I never bother reading that site, so who knows what the overall mood is, but I would suspect the forum fans are not fully representative of all fans, just like MBB likely is not the voice of every Bomber fan out there. The diehards frequent the sites so their opinions are likely more extreme. And although misguided IMO, the “outrage” reaction is not unexpected. When Brendan Dyson was run out of the league, more than a few Bomber fans screamed conspiracy on the old website and claimed the league and TSN were out to unfairly get us with the “Dyson cam” focus, rather than acknowledging that the player was truly dirty as opposed to “hard nosed”. Over time and given the benefit of reflection, fans have changed the narrative and acknowledged that he did not belong in the league either. Typical of any fan base. Thankful that the current Bomber team culture has rubbed off to an extent on the fan base and we won’t make knee jerk excuses for bad apples if they are on our team, for the most part. 

We don't have time to make knee jerk excuses, our management and coaches deal with it very swiftly and very decisively.

One thing that really separates our team from the Riders is that they have an "excuse" culture that permeates through their dressing room  Their locker room leaders whether it is Cody Faj, Shaq Evans, Nick Marshall are constantly in the media blaming other players, or the reffing, or the weather for not winning. When your main locker room leaders are making excuses and throwing other players under the bus you have a very poor dressing room culture. They need to get rid of that ASAP and start encouraging player to start taking ownership of what they have or haven't been able to do. I mean seriously Shaq publically threw Duke under the bus, then blamed officiating for his penalty in the span of 30 seconds, Fajardo on a weekly basis has thrown one of his offensive groups under the bus for his poor play and when he couldn't blame them he blamed the weather. That kind of leadership sinks teams. It just does....but hey the excuse train is easier to ride than actually fixing your shortcomings I suppose. The problem is that when you have a culture of excuses, when one conveniently pops up like the Marino side show player jump on board and use it as a prebuilt reason not to do the work.

Our team owns it. Good, bad, or otherwise and then goes out makes a commitment to improve on it and never make the same mistake again. That comes from a solid dressing room where players refuse to make excuses for themselves, and are answerable to each other. That kind of team wins the vast majority of the time. This is the type of player we make sure we are recruiting, and we FIFO everyone else.

Edited by GCn20

15 minutes ago, BBlink said:

Is this code for "I tweeted a bunch of **** I can't stand by and I'm covering it up now"? 

I get that one thing is more important than the other but they are completely unrelated.

This is his employer telling him that his take was a really bad one that is embarrassing them and he should get it off his social media ASAP. I wish I could just erase every stupid opinion I ever shared and then blame it on Ukraine. Easier than saying I was dead wrong. Unfortunately, my audience is not as gullible as a Saskatchewan mouth breather.

Edited by GCn20