Mos Class vs Marino Cheap Shot

BigBlue

4 hours ago, greenrider55 said:

Rest in piss Marino. You were suspended for more games than you had sacks this season. Congrats! 

But seriously, nine tackles, one sack, four games suspended… and people are upset we released him? Lanier/Dabire/Christmas will easily mirror that production, and not attempt to injure the other team in the process. This is a win for the Riders to get that clown off the roster.

You've got one massive MFer in the middle that looked good... I think #94... he completely stuffed Oliveria on one play for no gain... get that dude more snaps!

6 hours ago, BigBlue said:

That will never happen, not even the slightest chance... everyone understands

I gotta stop going to RF for shits and giggles, but my favorite comment was that the BB should sign him and cut Jake Thomas. 

a) the BB culture is never gonna take a guy like that in (maybe just to get him in a room alone)

b) Jake is a national, Marino is a sub par american

c) So out of touch with what culture means to a team.

Edited by itchy

I’ll be very honest, I’m not on board with the “he’s just a crappy player” thing. Until the distractions got in the way, he was a pretty effective run-stopper in the middle who was commanding double teams fairly regularly. Not a big numbers guy but what he was doing freed up guys like Leonard, Robertson, etc

Cutting him definitely makes the Riders worse. 

4 minutes ago, Mike said:

I’ll be very honest, I’m not on board with the “he’s just a crappy player” thing. Until the distractions got in the way, he was a pretty effective run-stopper in the middle who was commanding double teams fairly regularly. Not a big numbers guy but what he was doing freed up guys like Leonard, Robertson, etc

Could make an argument that he frees up Sankey and to some extent Dean.  Never see a blocking scheme where a guy playing nose or three tech on the play side isn’t doubled.  The ends are always 1 on 1 unless a back or receiver is involved.  It’s not really an achievement for a DT to face double teams in zone blocking.  

17 minutes ago, Mike said:

I think he was a dime a dozen DT. He had a lot of tattoos and played dirty, that’s why people think he was good IMO. 

7 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

We saw the pushback publicly from media & fans in July when Massoli was severely injured by Marino. The outrage his injury caused made the CFL give him the longest suspension in CFL history. Jeremiah Massoli & even his Mother called the CFL out for its relative inaction after his injury which was an embarassment for the league. The CFLPA even backed down defending Marino probably from seeing the public anger & advising him to not appeal the suspension.

You have to think that Randy Ambrosie on behalf of the BOG's saw the hit on Collaros & were very concerned about losing another qb or star player from this guy. With Massoli & Rourke out long term the CFL can't afford to lose any more star players like Collaros. It's pretty obvious that Marino didn't get the message after serving his suspension as he continued to be penalized.

I can't prove it but I think Jeremy O'Day got a call from the Commissioner telling him something needed to be done. No more Craig Dickenson defending Marino. No more coddling. No more saying he's being treated unfairly. Just a message from the Commissioner to do something & get it done now. Like I said, I'm no CFL Insider but I believe that's what happened.

Now the question is, will Chris Jones or any other team pick up Garrett Marino? Is he worth the distraction that no doubt will come with his signing? Would even Chris Jones want a giant headache like that on his team? Guess we'll see.

If you believe that the league had a hand in getting him cut (I can’t speculate one way or another) then I don’t see how another team could now pick him up. The one thing the League can do is approve or deny a new contract being signed based on certain policies (domestic violence for one example) so if they forced him out there’s no way they’d let him back in, IMO. 

A lack of discipline, especially to the point where he's basically hunting opposing QBs and getting punished for it, easily overshadowed whatever skill he brought to the table as an athlete. If the cons outweigh the pros, one could argue that makes him a pretty crappy player. Discipline is important.

And in the case of Marino, the cons undoubtedly outweigh the pros.

24 minutes ago, Mike said:

If there is an example of “addition by subtraction” this is it. Whatever he brought as a player, ALL of his attention was negative, it was a mental drain on the team having to answer for him, and he had earned extra attention for his team from the refs, so any halfway calls are not going to buy them the benefit of the doubt. The distraction and negative effects of penalties outweighed any value he had as a player, so in that sense the team is in a better place. 

Here’s a layered question for the board - if Duke Williams was very publicly cut after the loss for his sideline misconduct penalty while being non-rostered on game day (which if I was the coach and after all he has piled up this year I would have done), what kind of message would it have sent to the rest of the team, could it have re-gained some form of coaching control over the rest of the inmates, does Williams’ ability supersede the harm he is doing, and if he was cut would another team pick him up?

Marino was ok. I don't buy the, riders got worse today theory. Marino was/is replaceable from a talent level. He's replacements when he was suspended also got double teamed. Add on his history of play (from all accounts his college days were very similar as his pro days) and the riders got rid of a mid talent player who takes penalties and causes distractions. The riders got better overall imo.

4 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

If there is an example of “addition by subtraction” this is it. Whatever he brought as a player, ALL of his attention was negative, it was a mental drain on the team having to answer for him, and he had earned extra attention for his team from the refs, so any halfway calls are not going to buy them the benefit of the doubt. The distraction and negative effects of penalties outweighed any value he had as a player, so in that sense the team is in a better place. 

Here’s a layered question for the board - if Duke Williams was very publicly cut after the loss for his sideline misconduct penalty while being non-rostered on game day (which if I was the coach and after all he has piled up this year I would have done), what kind of message would it have sent to the rest of the team, could it have re-gained some form of coaching control over the rest of the inmates, does Williams’ ability supersede the harm he is doing, and if he was cut would another team pick him up?

I think someone might try but unlikely Duke would agree to the contract that would actually match his worth.

generally in CFL a DT and or NT will in effect draw 2 guys in blocking....it's just how things are schemed a lot...so saying Marino was very effective is a bit of a stretch...You can get same kind of attention and production from pretty much any interior guy...minus the penalties' and stupidity, and all the distractions that go with it.

Now if he was blowing plays up behind line of scrimmage constantly, pushing lineman into QB..piling up sacks and or tackles....it would be a different story....but he wasnt.

Are they weaker tho due to this...likely, as the team environment there now has a huge dent in it, and other losers there are now gonna play a bit less agressively, for fear of being next....and slap that right on CD for not dealing with all the BS earlier...and by earlier I mean last yr already

1 hour ago, Booch said:

It is a start to try and garner some respectability...still a big uphill battle there tho

They will never be respectable.

They are a total fail as a franchise. 

10 minutes ago, Booch said:

generally in CFL a DT and or NT will in effect draw 2 guys in blocking....it's just how things are schemed a lot...so saying Marino was very effective is a bit of a stretch...You can get same kind of attention and production from pretty much any interior guy...minus the penalties' and stupidity, and all the distractions that go with it.

Now if he was blowing plays up behind line of scrimmage constantly, pushing lineman into QB..piling up sacks and or tackles....it would be a different story....but he wasnt.

Are they weaker tho due to this...likely, as the team environment there now has a huge dent in it, and other losers there are now gonna play a bit less agressively, for fear of being next....and slap that right on CD for not dealing with all the BS earlier...and by earlier I mean last yr already

I’m sure some other DT can get them 1 tackle/game. 

13 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

They will never be respectable.

They are a total fail as a franchise. 

I’m sure some other DT can get them 1 tackle/game. 

just look at ours...Sayles...22 tackles...3 sacks.......Thomas...in a rotation...10 Tackles...1 ST tackle and 3 sacks...Cameron Lawson 8 tackles and 1 sac
(rotational reps) Ricky Walker 6 tackles...1 special team tackle and a sac...in 6 games

and hmmm...not a fine or suspension between them...great team guys...classy.....11-1 team and class of the league all around.....vs 6-6 team....and a joke on all fronts.....interesting

Edited by Booch

17 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

You can't hit anyone away from the play, doesn't matter before-during-after play.  That is unnecessary roughness as I spelled out to you earlier.

Just use a bit of logic....you can barely hit a QB when he's holding the ball....do you think that hit on a QB seconds after he hands the ball off is legal in any circumstance?  It's not.  It wouldn't be legal for a DL to take a run at an OL and blindside him on the backside of the play.

Section U under the UR section:

1. Unnecessary physical contact, including but not limited to, running into, diving into, cut blocking or throwing the body on a player who is:
    1. out of the play, or
    2. should not have reasonably anticipated such contact by an opponent, before or after the ball is dead, or
    3. throwing a ball carrier to the ground after the ball is dead,

It is the very definition of a cheap, and illegal hit. Anyone arguing against that is insane.

14 hours ago, Geebrr said:

I’m sure Michael Ball is heavily criticizing the Riders for this…

Man that guy has so much crow to eat he had to rent freezer space at the Denny's down the street.

6 hours ago, greenrider55 said:

Rest in piss Marino. You were suspended for more games than you had sacks this season. Congrats! 

But seriously, nine tackles, one sack, four games suspended… and people are upset we released him? Lanier/Dabire/Christmas will easily mirror that production, and not attempt to injure the other team in the process. This is a win for the Riders to get that clown off the roster.

Even a RIder fan can sometimes see the obvious....jk....can't give you too easy of a time here or people will think we've gone soft.

1 hour ago, Mike said:

It would make them worse if the dude actually played football instead of gooning it up. 

1 hour ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Could make an argument that he frees up Sankey and to some extent Dean.  Never see a blocking scheme where a guy playing nose or three tech on the play side isn’t doubled.  The ends are always 1 on 1 unless a back or receiver is involved.  It’s not really an achievement for a DT to face double teams in zone blocking.  

Agreed. Every nose gets a double team for a lot of the game. It's what you are able to do with that double team that seperates the Stoves from the Marinos.

Just now, GCn20 said:

Agreed. Every nose gets a double team for a lot of the game. It's what you are able to do with that double team that seperates the Stoves from the Marinos.

u shut yer dirty mouth putting Stove and Loserino in same sentence....u should be ashamed of yourself hahahaaha

1 hour ago, blue_gold_84 said:

A lack of discipline, especially to the point where he's basically hunting opposing QBs and getting punished for it, easily overshadowed whatever skill he brought to the table as an athlete. If the cons outweigh the pros, one could argue that makes him a pretty crappy player. Discipline is important.

And in the case of Marino, the cons undoubtedly outweigh the pros.

Pretty much. Talent alone is not enough.

1 minute ago, Booch said:

u shut yer dirty mouth putting Stove and Loserino in same sentence....u should be ashamed of yourself hahahaaha

Only way I could make the comparison was to put the best out there in comparison.

Just now, TBURGESS said:

Good riddance. The Riders should have cut Marino after the Masoli hit. Being a cheap shot artist doesn't equal a penalty tho.

Still banging that drum. Give it up. No one agrees with you.