Kicking Discussion

White Out

2 hours ago, Tracker said:

Not impossible to correct. I worked with a world-class athlete who was always top 3 in Canada but bottom third internationally. Once the emotional crap was cleared out (performance anxiety), that athlete placed fifth in the world two months later. 

That's really cool! I'm not on the cut him bandwagon, I'm simply saying at THIS stage. Present day. I'm concerned about him the bigger games. It's not like I'm rooting against the kid, but I also don't wanna have him cost us a chance at a 3peat. 

2 hours ago, JCon said:

Oh my god. Kickers usually redeem themselves when they get a second chance?

Source of the BS? Some stats, please. 

I didn't have to go back very far to find an example. Cote missed a 20 yarder in the 2nd quarter and got a 43 yarder in the 3rd quarter. Anyone have an example of a kicker missing two short FG's in a row to lose their team a game? I really can't remember another time.

Why can't folks simply admit that our kicker missed two convert length FG's back to back to lose us the game? Everything that happened before the first miss didn't matter because we still had a chance to win it on the last play of the game. Heck, we still had a chance to tie it and go into the 2nd OT until Leggz missed the 2nd one. I certainly wasn't expecting Leggz to miss the 2nd one. In fact, I said to my wife that it's great that he has a change to redeem himself so soon after shanking one & then DOINK!

3 hours ago, Rod Black said:

Apparently Pops Miller gave the order to punt in 2010. 

I remember Tim Burke deciding to try for the single on a punt rather than try a field goal.  Think it was 2012 or 2013.  Failed spectacularly, like everything else Tim Burke did as HC.

1 hour ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I remember Tim Burke deciding to try for the single on a punt rather than try a field goal.  Think it was 2012 or 2013.  Failed spectacularly, like everything else Tim Burke did as HC.

I looked it up.  In the Banjo Bowl in 2012, in the game after the Labour Day 52-0 massacre in Regina, the Bombers were up 23-22 with 55 seconds left in the game.  We were in FG range.  Instead of sending out Palardy, Burke sends out Renaud to punt the ball through the end zone, making the score 24-22.  Why??  What was the freaking point of that??  So Renaud kicks the ball through the end zone, and Drew Willy marches the Riders back up the field and with 4 seconds left Sandro Deangelis kicks the winning FG.  Burke you bozo....just unbelievable.  We had really nothing to lose if Palardy misses the FG, we were still up by one and Sask was in the same place down one point or two.  It was so dumb.

54 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I looked it up.  In the Banjo Bowl in 2012, in the game after the Labour Day 52-0 massacre in Regina, the Bombers were up 23-22 with 55 seconds left in the game.  We were in FG range.  Instead of sending out Palardy, Burke sends out Renaud to punt the ball through the end zone, making the score 24-22.  Why??  What was the freaking point of that??  So Renaud kicks the ball through the end zone, and Drew Willy marches the Riders back up the field and with 4 seconds left Sandro Deangelis kicks the winning FG.  Burke you bozo....just unbelievable.  We had really nothing to lose if Palardy misses the FG, we were still up by one and Sask was in the same place down one point or two.  It was so dumb.

Was out of the country. Glad I didn’t have to see it. Missed the previous game too. Sounds like Burke should be given an ignoble award. 

hey, why no three stars, HH, or crunch of the game thread? Miller creamed Philpot. 

3 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

This is some good research. I remember that game well. The only thing that remember differently is that Burke did not trust Palardy's field goal kicking so - instead of attempting the 42 yard field goal - sent the punter out (Renaud?) to try to pin the Riders deep (i.e. in fairness to Burke, he was not trying for the extra point, but trying for the field position to make Willy march the full length). Then Renaud did not execute the plan and kicked in through, giving the Riders the ball on the 35 (much more doable to get into field goal range). After the game what was maybe most memorable to me was that Burke threw Renaud under the bus publicly. 

Edited by deepsixemtoboyd
providng clarity plus spelling

1 hour ago, deepsixemtoboyd said:

This is some good research. I remember that game well. The only thing that remember differently is that Burke did not trust Palardy's field goal kicking so - instead of attempting the 42 yard field goal - sent the punter out (Renaud?) to try to pin the Riders deep (i.e. in fairness to Burke, he was not trying for the extra point, but trying for the field position to make Willy march the full length). Then Renaud did not execute the plan and kicked in through, giving the Riders the ball on the 35 (much more doable to get into field goal range). After the game what was maybe most memorable to me was that Burke threw Renaud under the bus publicly. 

Ok fair enough. I thought they were trying for a point. That makes more sense.

59 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

His buddy Westwood called the 4th Q squib the worst kick that he has ever seen. 

19 minutes ago, Rod Black said:

Meanwhile Westwood is on record as having the worst kicking performance, missing three attempts, in any Grey Cup game that anyone has ever seen.

So then... he knows what he's talking about then? 

lol

On 2022-08-11 at 11:18 PM, JuranBoldenRules said:

Yeah who is that?  The Als kicker put a 20 yarder into the upright.

I groaned right away on that play at the end of the 4th cause the snap was about 1 yard and a half wide of Prukop and I knew it was going to screw it all up.  But yeah just need to make sure we get the rouge there.

I don't think on the whole we'll get anyone better than Liegghio off the street right now.

So this happened in August and there's a chance to build from here so it doesn't happen again.

There's not really anyone in the CFL save Whyte (who's not coming here), Paredes or Castillo who I'd take over Liegghio at this moment.

Oh I didn’t notice the snap was wide!!!! Did anyone else see that??

On 2022-08-12 at 12:21 PM, Potential said:

Liegghio is not the problem. Any time you have a kicker with a chance to win the game you're gambling as that is way too much pressure (unless your name is Medlock). I do not blame him at all - not one bit. He's been absolutely dynamite for us this year, and I am totally cool with O'Shea trotting him out whenever. He will learn from this experience and continue to improve.

The biggest issues we're dealing with right now are threefold:

O-Line is really struggling right now - particularly the interior. Teams are figuring this out and blitzing us non-stop (usually multiple players to the corners), which eliminates Zach's explosiveness as he's forced to dink and dunk. Not his style. I don't know what the timeline is for Couture returning, but we are really missing him right now. Kolankowski has been improving, but still has issues on occasion, and Neufeld has really been a shadow of his normal self this year (again, most likely due to his arm injury). As a result Zach's been taking hits the past few games - this cannot happen and needs to be remedied immediately.

Safety. I appreciate Hallett stepping in with injuries to both Thompson and Wilson, but it is clear that Biggie has been instructed to help cover for him and it has severely curtailed his play. Hallett's a DB, not a linebacker. He isn't great at tackling, and often cheats by going low, but doesn't wrap up. This is also a big problem.

D-Line pressure isn't good enough. Jefferson is a force, but I think Jeffcoat is still injured as he hasn't been as noticeable the past couple of games, and while I love Thomas as he's been such a team player for us over the years, him and Sayles aren't getting any kind of penetration in the interior on most nights. Leaves opposition free to double-team Willie, and you can tell he is getting frustrated.

Any time you leave the outcome of the game to kicking you have not done enough to win. Full stop. We have been scraping by the past few weeks, as we are exhausted and beat up. The bye week will help with some of these issues hopefully, but if we get some of our injured guys back on the defence, figure out the OL (if Couture comes back I'd move Kolankowski to Neufeld's position until he is in better shape), we'll be okay.

I repeat, Liegghio is not the problem.

Very well said imho

19 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I think he was trying to coffin corner them. Either way, it was friggin dumb. 

One loss and the toxicity pops out. Gross. You’d think this franchises fan base would know better than being quick to chase off young kickers. 

I bet many of the same people who want him gone also wanted lirim back last year. And the ones in that group who were here in his first go round probably wanted him gone too. 

kickers are more fickle than even qbs. They take time. Legs has made a tremendous step forward this year. He’s one of the best punters in the league and been great at kick offs too. Let’s see how he bounces back. Cus he bounced back amazingly well from last year. 

Edited by wbbfan

On 2022-08-12 at 12:01 PM, BomberfanMKS said:

TBH - from that distance and what was needed to win I'm surprised we didn't just punt on the last play - You have the right cover people on the field in case you don't put it through the back and for a 30 yard field goal he only needs to kick a 50 yard punt to put it out of the back of the endzone (which is slightly more than his average but this is a special case - directional and hang time doesn't matter, just distance)

I kind of wonder if the shank on the "game winner" happened because he was trying to kick it extra hard to make sure it would go out the back if he missed, instead of just trying to kick a normal field goal.

That's probably what happened. He looked like he punched the ball rather than a normal leg swing to the target. Happens in golf. If you try to crush the ball from the tee all kinds of bad things can happen. A relaxed swing with good contact on the ball with the club head is better.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

7 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

That's probably what happened. He looked like he punched the ball rather than a normal leg swing to the target. Happens in golf. If you try to crush the ball from the tee all kinds of bad things can happen. A relaxed swing with good contact on the ball with the club head is better.

AND you definitely try to over-do/overthink the task at hand when the 'pressure' is on''''Giving that little extra' is something a vet. can control but even they fall prey to 'the little extra' that usually ends badly....Muscles have to be relaxed ....tension of any kind can be disastrous....I always remember the scene in Caddyshack when Chevy Chase is trying to give pointers to his caddy...The kid asks him what he did before being a golf pro and Chevy replies I worked in a lumber yard....He tells the kid to take the next shot over the water and tells him to 'just relax...hit the ball'...The caddy obviously didn't heed the advice....  hits the ball and 'plunk' right into the drink.......Chevy looks at him and says ....hmmmm right in the lumber yard...And that's what happens when you don't relax