Week 9 Non Champ Champ games

Geebrr

54 minutes ago, JCon said:

MOS has never coached down south, though. Trestman was known and also worked down in the NFL for a while. 

No way an NFL team comes for MOS., IMO. 

With all of those over-paid prima-donnas in the NFL, I just don't see FIFO working conceptually there.  And without FIFO, the O'Shea model has a way lower chance of success.  IMHO anyway.

36 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

OC at Pineview High School in Utah according to wikipedia.

One of those guys just not cut out for / not able to adjust to the Canadian game. 
 Honestly I respect any team that tries to bring in a high pedigree us oc and see if they can adapt to the Canadian game. 
 I’d much rather see that than a bunch of lemmings brought up and running the same plop / trestman offense. 
 Though I think the optimal way to do it is get ast coaches up here young and let them coach qbs first or be the oc with a vet assistant type to speed up the process. 

2 hours ago, Geebrr said:

I wonder where MOS ranks for total Grey Cups.

Guy is 6-0 in Cup games winning 3 as a player and 3 as a coach. 

The player record is 7 (3 players - Jack Wesley, Bill Stevenson, and Hank Ilesic). 

The head coach record is 5 (5 tied - Wally Buono, Frank Clair, Hugh Campbell, Don Matthews, and Lew Hayman) 

As far as I can decipher from my hunting, the overall record is 10 (including those won as player, assistant/head coach, GM, or president) held by both Don Matthews (5 as an assistant with Edmonton in their 5 year streak, another 5 as head coach including 3 in a row with Baltimore/Toronto  back-to-back) and Hugh Campbell (one as a Rider player, 5 straight as Eskie coach, 1 more as Edmonton GM alone, 2 more as both GM and President/CEO, and the final one just as President/CEO, all of the last 9 with Edmonton). Matthews also appeared in 7 straight Cup games from 1977-1983 as an assistant coach or head coach which as far as I can tell is a record. Buono has 7 rings total (two as a player with Montreal)

Cal Murphy won 9 Cups as a coach or GM, including 6 in a row which I believe is the record (Montreal in 1977 as an assistant, then 1978-82 as the Eskimo OC). He of course won as Bomber HC in 1984, then as GM in 1988 and 1990. Made two more HC appearances in 1992 and 93 with Winnipeg and one as Sask.  assistant coach in 1997 for a total of 12 appearances.

Dan Kepley is next I believe at 8 Cup titles as a player and coach. 

Matthews and Buono have each taken part in 14 separate Grey Cup games (Buono has the record for most head coaching appearances at 9), Campbell holds the overall record from what I can see at 17 (3 with Saskatchewan as a player, 14 with Edmonton as coach or management). 

And now you know………the rest of the story. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

5 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

The player record is 7 (3 players - Jack Wesley, Bill Stevenson, and Hank Ilesic). 

The head coach record is 5 (5 tied - Wally Buono, Frank Clair, Hugh Campbell, Don Matthews, and Lew Hayman) 

As far as I can decipher from my hunting, the overall record is 10 (including those won as player, assistant/head coach, GM, or president) held by both Don Matthews (5 as an assistant with Edmonton in their 5 year streak, another 5 as head coach including 3 in a row with Baltimore/Toronto  back-to-back) and Hugh Campbell (one as a Rider player, 5 straight as Eskie coach, 1 more as Edmonton GM alone, 2 more as both GM and President/CEO, and the final one just as President/CEO, all of the last 9 with Edmonton). Matthews also appeared in 7 straight Cup games from 1977-1983 as an assistant coach or head coach which as far as I can tell is a record. Buono has 7 rings total (two as a player with Montreal)

Cal Murphy won 9 Cups as a coach, including 6 in a row which I believe is the record (Montreal in 1977 as an assistant, then 1978-82 as the Eskimo OC). He of course won as Bomber HC in 1984, then as GM in 1988 and 1990. Made two more HC appearances in 1992 and 93 with Winnipeg and one as Sask.  assistant coach in 1997 for a total of 12 appearances.

Dan Kepley is next I believe at 8 Cup titles as a player and coach. 

Matthews and Buono have each taken part in 14 separate Grey Cup games (Buono has the record for most head coaching appearances at 9), Campbell holds the overall record from what I can see at 17 (3 with Sask, 14 with Edmonton). 

And now you know………the rest of the story. 

Interesting, thanks for that! 

MOS is moving up the list pretty quick.

Any Gappers that won a Cup should definitely be in the HOF, the whole team, it is impossibly rare. 

2 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

This narrative seems highly speculative and a bit presumptuous, particularly the bolded part. His home has been Winnipeg for nearly a decade now, anyway. That includes his family.

Considering what he's accomplished with the WFC, especially over the last few years, that same logic in the last sentence could be applied to his current situation, which is very stable and familiar. His connection to this organization, this fanbase/market, this community, and the numerous coaches and players is arguably just as strong, if not stronger. His tenure as a coach here is more than twice as long as his with the Argonauts. The guy's practically a sports legend in Winnipeg now. And there's been nothing to suggest he wants to leave, anyway.

I also don't know what "sad state" exists for the Argonauts right now. Granted they're currently .500 but the East is a mess and they're at the top of it. I can't see them not keeping pace to compete for top seed come November. All of that suggests Pinball and Dinwiddie are pretty safe for the moment in Toronto.

Yes, my post WAS highly speculative, but isn't a lot of the stuff posted here? People are people, regardless of career and for many, the call of wherever they have an emotional connection to as "home" can often be very strong, even after decades. I do not know O'Shea well enough to say if this is true for him, but only time will tell. And yes, the Argos are a mess. Their team is barely good enough in an anemic East division but the greatest obstacle they face is the indifference of MLSE which seems content to let them wither away in the biggest city in Canada.

6 hours ago, Geebrr said:

Interesting, thanks for that! 

MOS is moving up the list pretty quick.

Any Gappers that won a Cup should definitely be in the HOF, the whole team, it is impossibly rare. 

As far as I know, no one person has more than 2 Saskatchewan Grey Cup rings (correction - rebus identified one person with 3, see his comments). Contrast that with the dozens of Blue Bombers (from 1958-62 and again from 1984-90) who have 3 or 4 and the potential for dozens more this year to get their 3rd. 

BTW, the Stampeders equipment manager just celebrated his 50th year and 1000th game with the club this past weekend. He has 6 Grey Cup rings and 12 appearances. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

1 hour ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Not sure which is worse - that or the dye job.

2012 Coaching Staff | Omaha Nighthawks

CFL's Ted Lasso.  Only not in a good way.

11 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

As far as I know, no one person has more than 2 Saskatchewan Grey Cup rings.

Yeah, unless there was someone on the 1989 team that was in management in 2007 and 2013?  Otherwise yeah.  Suits should have been given rings in 2007 and 2013 for his homerism, which coupled with his actual 89 ring would give him three...lol...

49 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I think I read somewhere a couple of years ago that O'Shea isn't interested in scouting, player personnel or being a GM. 

That would jive with what I have been told by my neighbour who was a kicker with the Argos when O'Shea was the Special Teams guy there.  He just wants to coach young men and send them into battle to win. That's it. To put this in military terms, he wants to be with his boys in the trenches.  He doesn't want to be 100 miles away deciding which boys get sent to their deaths while he gets to be far away from the action.  O'Shea is a frontline guy, right in the heat of the action with his troops.  That will never change.  And that's why his boys love him.

Who’s to say MOS personal aspirations need to be fixed as a head coach of a football team. If he should find a brighter light while still respecting his initial direction, personally, he may view further challenges as an evolution, towards a worthwhile goal. Coaching still applies in many roles, probably every role that involves people. It’s easy enough to characterize and satisfy yourself as coach, when your a CEO. 
He can be whatever he wants, without limits. 

28 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Why would O Shea leave? If he wants to be a gm then give him the assistant gm tag. 

I don't see him a guy wanting to do both. I also have never read or heard him saying he wants to gm. 

Realistically, he probably already is a bit of an assistant GM… Walters calls the shots on player personnel but we all know there are certain types of players O’Shea likes/wants…

also… lol at anyone who thinks O’Shea could be on the nfl radar… just not happening… nfl is looking for the next brilliant OC/QB whisperer for HC jobs… not a guy who had success in (what they consider) a second class league… this isn’t the same era that Bud Grant coached in. 

2 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

Our own Richie Hall won a Grey Cup in 1989 with the Riders as a player and as their DC in 2007 and 2013, so he has 3 with them which has to be the club record.

Cripes, that **** team should be renamed after him.

He has been involved in 75% of their wins.

Or so Gapper fans can understand that: this many -✌🏻👆🏻out of ✌🏻👆🏻👆🏻

Edited by Geebrr