Week 9 Non Champ Champ games

Geebrr

TBH - The most likely scenario O'Shea leaves Winnipeg is by retirement or he gets a call from the NFL - There are more than a couple teams down south that look alot like Winnipeg looked before O'Shea and Walters took over... Especially since so much news is made of how O'Shea transformed the culture, etc.

Trestman got a shot in Chicago - He didn't work out but O'Shea is a different kind of coach.

It's something like a 10X on his salary... life changing money to do it for a single year.

Edited by BomberfanMKS

8 minutes ago, BomberfanMKS said:

TBH - The most likely scenario O'Shea leaves Winnipeg is by retirement or he gets a call from the NFL - There are more than a couple teams down south that look alot like Winnipeg looked before O'Shea and Walters took over... Especially since so much news is made of how O'Shea transformed the culture, etc.

Trestman got a shot in Chicago - He didn't work out but O'Shea is a different kind of coach.

It's something like a 10X on his salary... life changing money to do it for a single year.

MOS has never coached down south, though. Trestman was known and also worked down in the NFL for a while. 

No way an NFL team comes for MOS., IMO. 

15 minutes ago, BomberfanMKS said:

TBH - The most likely scenario O'Shea leaves Winnipeg is by retirement or he gets a call from the NFL

Coaches are hired to be fired. There will come a time at some point where the decision is made to move on from O’Shea.  Just the reality of pro sports. I'm just going to enjoy the ride while it lasts.

4 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Ya know that's probably a temporary inconvenience for him at his age right?  He may not want to spend the rest of his life in Headingly, or living in his parent's basement, swanky as it may be.  

Ya know it said “Hometown” not “where am I living for the rest of my life” right?  You can do the math and see he wasn’t born there, right? 

Hometown means “where do I consider myself from”. In this case, it is where his family considers home. 

This shouldn’t need to be explained.

6 minutes ago, JCon said:

MOS has never coached down south, though. Trestman was known and also worked down in the NFL for a while. 

No way an NFL team comes for MOS., IMO. 

Look at Kingsbury - He had 2 years of experience in the NFL and then 5 years of mediocre performance as a college head coach before he was made the Cardinals head coach...

Just saying - If O'Shea wins 3 straight titles (and if we continue on our current track I'd be shocked if he didn't win two straight coach of the year titles) - It's not beyond the pale to think an owner looking to rebuild from the ground up might give it a thought.

I'm going to be honest, I don't personally think O'Shea is an NFL coaching prospect whatsoever. That's not meant as a slight on him, that's just not who he is. He's a culture builder, not a guy who is outfoxing the opposition with a superior mind for the Xs and Os. I'm a HUGE O'Shea fan but I truly believe his actual in-game decision making is very average. His use of the 40-44th guys on the roster is very questionable, his stubbornness and refusal to challenge almost anything has certainly cost us points and you can't even say we see constant benefit from his unmatched knowledge of the rulebook these days - we used to, but not for a long time. Our success comes from the next man up mentality and his belief that a guy like Les Maruo is just as capable of playing on a crunch time second down as Adam Bighill. He believes it and now they all believe it too and you see the result.

O'Shea is an absolutely incredible head coach, best I've seen of any CFL team in my lifetime, but I can't imagine he's on the NFL radar at all. What he does is get every single guy in that locker room to buy it and be willing to run through as many walls as it takes for him. He could teach classes on it. The buy-in he gets is unbelievable to me and I'm thrilled to see it. The rub? He's not getting it in an NFL locker room as a Canadian coach without a lick of NFL experience and he's not fit to be a NFL coordinator at any level other than I guess maybe special teams.

I'll enjoy the ride with O'Shea for as long as it lasts but I don't think the threat of the NFL is viable at all.

6 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I think EVERYONE loses the room at some point right? The most obvious comparison is probably Wally. Eventually Calgary moved on (foolish as it was) and then BC had to move on as well. As Dave says, just enjoy the ride as long as it lasts. 

Depends on whether you believe that Buono left Calgary because the ownership meddled (pressure to make the owner's son their starting QB).

BC never really moved on from Buono... Seemed to me that the decision to stop coaching in BC was Buono's (so essentially retirement from HC)

5 minutes ago, BomberfanMKS said:

Look at Kingsbury - He had 2 years of experience in the NFL and then 5 years of mediocre performance as a college head coach before he was made the Cardinals head coach...

Just saying - If O'Shea wins 3 straight titles (and if we continue on our current track I'd be shocked if he didn't win two straight coach of the year titles) - It's not beyond the pale to think an owner looking to rebuild from the ground up might give it a thought.

It really is. Kingsbury is not even close to O'Shea in terms of what he brings to the game. Kingsbury at Texas Tech basically got his opportunities because of his offensive mind and the belief that he was a genius when it came to developing quarterbacks (see: Patrick Mahomes)

O'Shea has no resume whatsoever like that and if you think his 2 CFL championships carry as much weight as even moderate success in a Div 1 NCAA program, you'd be mistaken. They carry about as much weight as Arena Football championships to NFL owners.

Just now, Mike said:

I'm going to be honest, I don't personally think O'Shea is an NFL coaching prospect whatsoever. That's not meant as a slight on him, that's just not who he is. He's a culture builder, not a guy who is outfoxing the opposition with a superior mind for the Xs and Os. I'm a HUGE O'Shea fan but I truly believe his actual in-game decision making is very average. His use of the 40-44th guys on the roster is very questionable, his stubbornness and refusal to challenge almost anything has certainly cost us points and you can't even say we see constant benefit from his unmatched knowledge of the rulebook these days - we used to, but not for a long time. Our success comes from the next man up mentality and his belief that a guy like Les Maruo is just as capable of playing on a crunch time second down as Adam Bighill. He believes it and now they all believe it too and you see the result.

O'Shea is an absolutely incredible head coach, best I've seen of any CFL team in my lifetime, but I can't imagine he's on the NFL radar at all. What he does is get every single guy in that locker room to buy it and be willing to run through as many walls as it takes for him. He could teach classes on it. The buy-in he gets is unbelievable to me and I'm thrilled to see it. The rub? He's not getting it in an NFL locker room as a Canadian coach without a lick of NFL experience and he's not fit to be a NFL coordinator at any level other than I guess maybe special teams.

I'll enjoy the ride with O'Shea for as long as it lasts but I don't think the threat of the NFL is viable at all.

I guess that the sticking point - Does the money and personalities that come with it make building a "team first" culture in the modern NFL untenable?

Recent history has HC hires in the NFL with much less overall coaching experience than in the past.  I will say though that it's felt like the emphasis has been on hiring HC's who bring an offensive/defensive philosophy with them which would hurt O'Shea's consideration since he would be fully reliant on his OC/DC's in those respects.

I'm definitely not saying it's likely, but recent history in the NFL has shown a willingness to look at non-traditional HC's.

2 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

NFL now is just pass rush vs pass blocking, then who has the better QB.  I don't think MOS brings a lot of value there.

I guess the template for him would be Ron Rivera.  Maybe Staley.  But 90% of the next big thing coaches are supposed QB whisperers.

More of template would be John Harbaugh

I think what holds MOS back is he has no real significant background in American football- unlike guys such as Kingsbury. 

You are asking a guy who has never really played (outside of one training camp?) or coached it. 

You could say several CFL teams have tried it, but I don’t think that is happening in the NFL. NFL players, fans, and media don’t care that you’ve dominated the CFL.

Advantage us. 

4 minutes ago, BomberfanMKS said:

I guess that the sticking point - Does the money and personalities that come with it make building a "team first" culture in the modern NFL untenable?

Recent history has HC hires in the NFL with much less overall coaching experience than in the past.  I will say though that it's felt like the emphasis has been on hiring HC's who bring an offensive/defensive philosophy with them which would hurt O'Shea's consideration since he would be fully reliant on his OC/DC's in those respects.

I'm definitely not saying it's likely, but recent history in the NFL has shown a willingness to look at non-traditional HC's.

Have they ever elevated a S.T. coordinator to H.C. in the NFL?  O'Shea's resume looks pretty weak with no offensive or defensive specialization and never having coached on either side of the ball.