Week 9 Non Champ Champ games

Geebrr

18 minutes ago, Rod Black said:

You can be pissed off at him all you want, it’s up to you. Him making a decision about himself, is no slight against me or any other bomber fan, it’s not personal. 

He's an Elk. I appreciate everything he did for us here but he left. Therefore, it's my decision to not cheer for him. You certainly can & that's fine. I've no problem with that at all. That's your decision. :)

Edited by SpeedFlex27

6 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

He's an Elk. I appreciate everything he did for us here but he left. Therefore, it's my decision to not cheer for him. You certainly can & that's fine. I've no problem with that at all. That's your decision. :)

Not cheering for a guy and being pissed off at him are two completely different things. 

3 minutes ago, Rod Black said:

Not cheering for a guy and being pissed off at him are two completely different things. 

I can assure you I'm not cheering for him.  So, there are plenty of fans here who are pissed off at the Rider organization. Doesn't matter what the reason is, they're pissed off.  Why is that okay? 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

20 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Lawler is such a bizarre situation.

Say the Elks are good and he has a good year.  There's no chance in hell they are going to keep him at his current salary beyond this season.  So is it sour grapes for him to take a pay cut?

He's basically just there on a one year plan for one of the highest paid players in the league.

That’s exactly it. There’s no level of performance (team or individual) that makes it viable to bring him back with the same price tag next year.

I appreciate the fact that he got paid, I feel like any pro athlete who makes the choice to maximize their earnings is well within their right. I just don’t know if I really believe that he thought everything through: in all likelihood, he’s going to be in a new uniform next year. At what point does he quickly just turn into a Ricky Collins-esque flash in the pan and disappear altogether?

18 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Lawler is such a bizarre situation.

Say the Elks are good and he has a good year.  There's no chance in hell they are going to keep him at his current salary beyond this season.  So is it sour grapes for him to take a pay cut?

He's basically just there on a one year plan for one of the highest paid players in the league.

In some ways it made a little sense -

If you're Jones and you believe that one of the reasons the Elk's were so terrible last year was a lack of impact  players to support your QB's - Pay well to bring the league's best receiver to be alongside Walker (whom you might believe to still be good).

Right now he isn't paying any QB's real QB money (I bet Arbuckle was on a pretty light contract when he started there + the speed at which Jones dropped him makes me think he needed him to either be lights out or to not have his salary on the books).

Hope that having really high quality pieces  on offense around your rookie QB's will allow you to be competitive on offense - the Elk's salary on QB+Receiver+Running Back is probably pretty similar to what we are paying for QB+Rec+RB.

It's kind of a similar situation to BC - Except I think BC is actually in a somewhat worse position since they can't just drop a single receiver to bump Rourkes pay up to starter QB level like the Elk's can/

2 minutes ago, BomberfanMKS said:

In some ways it made a little sense -

If you're Jones and you believe that one of the reasons the Elk's were so terrible last year was a lack of impact  players to support your QB's - Pay well to bring the league's best receiver to be alongside Walker (whom you might believe to still be good).

Right now he isn't paying any QB's real QB money (I bet Arbuckle was on a pretty light contract when he started there + the speed at which Jones dropped him makes me think he needed him to either be lights out or to not have his salary on the books).

Hope that having really high quality pieces  on offense around your rookie QB's will allow you to be competitive on offense - the Elk's salary on QB+Receiver+Running Back is probably pretty similar to what we are paying for QB+Rec+RB.

It's kind of a similar situation to BC - Except I think BC is actually in a somewhat worse position since they can't just drop a single receiver to bump Rourkes pay up to starter QB level like the Elk's can/

Yeah I think that plan made sense with Arbuckle, more of a pocket gun slinger.  With Cornelius/Ford I'm not sure they are even good enough to need the elite receivers.

2 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Yeah I think that plan made sense with Arbuckle, more of a pocket gun slinger.  With Cornelius/Ford I'm not sure they are even good enough to need the elite receivers.

Arbuckle isn't a gun slinger though... he's a game manager style QB (I actually think he's an extremely good fit for Plop in Ottawa)

Cornelius/Ford makes sense with Elite receivers - Very mobile QB's with big arms = the mobility gives them the time to hit their receivers for chunk plays.

I actually think Cornelius has flashed some real skills, despite being on a gongshow team and being thrust into a starter role sooner than he should have.  

3 minutes ago, BomberfanMKS said:

Arbuckle isn't a gun slinger though... he's a game manager style QB (I actually think he's an extremely good fit for Plop in Ottawa)

Cornelius/Ford makes sense with Elite receivers - Very mobile QB's with big arms = the mobility gives them the time to hit their receivers for chunk plays.

I actually think Cornelius has flashed some real skills, despite being on a gongshow team and being thrust into a starter role sooner than he should have.  

Arbuckle has a top 5 arm in this league today.  I'd take him over almost anyone outside of Collaros or Rourke if I was building a team.

I feel like the coaches have issues with him for some reason, maybe BLM rubbed off on him a bit.  He's almost above the mediocrity of the situations he's been in.  Thought Toronto would have worked out nice with Dinwiddie.

16 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Arbuckle has a top 5 arm in this league today.  I'd take him over almost anyone outside of Collaros or Rourke if I was building a team.

I feel like the coaches have issues with him for some reason, maybe BLM rubbed off on him a bit.  He's almost above the mediocrity of the situations he's been in.  Thought Toronto would have worked out nice with Dinwiddie.

I'm thinking that Dinnwiddie may have been overated...he seems to me to be over his head...and to be frank not that smart

37 minutes ago, BomberfanMKS said:

you're Jones and you believe that one of the reasons the Elk's were so terrible last year was a lack of impact  players to support your QB's

cmon man.... they have Flex! and,  Duron!

Edited by Mark F

I truly don't see Osh going...why would he...he has totally moved his life here...has a good thing....no real ties to T.O really...he played there...big deal...why go from prominence and chance to be an all time legend...to obscurity, and likely failure and canned 2 yrs later...makes no sense...Plus Osh is all about loyalty....we were loyal to him when everyone and their dog wanted him gone....that will go a long way

30 minutes ago, Booch said:

I truly don't see Osh going...why would he...he has totally moved his life here...has a good thing....no real ties to T.O really...he played there...big deal...why go from prominence and chance to be an all time legend...to obscurity, and likely failure and canned 2 yrs later...makes no sense...Plus Osh is all about loyalty....we were loyal to him when everyone and their dog wanted him gone....that will go a long way

I can see O'Shea going to T.O. if he wants to take on the GM role and build his own team, Pinball probably has the latitude to slide up into VP of something or other.

Edited by Fatty Liver

38 minutes ago, Booch said:

Only if he wanted to take on a new challenge could I see it, take on GM role, etc. 

43 minutes ago, Booch said:

The jokers in the deck are his long connection to the Argos and their current sad state as well as a psychological one: the pull towards "home" gets stronger as we pass the half-century mark. The more a good person is a good person, the stronger they react to emotional tugs as they age.

21 minutes ago, Tracker said:

The jokers in the deck are his long connection to the Argos and their current sad state as well as a psychological one: the pull towards "home" gets stronger as we pass the half-century mark. The more a good person is a good person, the stronger they react to emotional tugs as they age.

His ties...but his kids(s)? have basically grown up here. 9 years is a literal lifetime for kids. Wpg is home for HIS family (I'm assuming). It'd be real tough to pick up and move at this point imo.

39 minutes ago, Tracker said:

This narrative seems highly speculative and a bit presumptuous, particularly the bolded part. His home has been Winnipeg for nearly a decade now, anyway. That includes his family.

Considering what he's accomplished with the WFC, especially over the last few years, that same logic in the last sentence could be applied to his current situation, which is very stable and familiar. His connection to this organization, this fanbase/market, this community, and the numerous coaches and players is arguably just as strong, if not stronger. His tenure as a coach here is more than twice as long as his with the Argonauts. The guy's practically a sports legend in Winnipeg now. And there's been nothing to suggest he wants to leave, anyway.

I also don't know what "sad state" exists for the Argonauts right now. Granted they're currently .500 but the East is a mess and they're at the top of it. I can't see them not keeping pace to compete for top seed come November. All of that suggests Pinball and Dinwiddie are pretty safe for the moment in Toronto.

25 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

His ties...but his kids(s)? have basically grown up here. 9 years is a literal lifetime for kids. Wpg is home for HIS family (I'm assuming). It'd be real tough to pick up and move at this point imo.

I believe one of his sons is playing receiver for the Guelph Gryphons.