Week 9 - The Champs at The Larks - GDT

JCon

5 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

This. The CFL isn't responsible for it. It's not a problem for the fans in attendance. It's a TV viewership issue. One that TSN should really try to improve....which of course means they won't.

I was sitting at field level and it was hardly noticeable…certainly not a distraction. 
I was more pissed off by the archaic scoreboard, food, seating and overall game experience. 
The people are top drawer but the stadium sucks. 

50 minutes ago, Sard said:

The number of comments about how this is a new thing is strange to me because every game in Montreal that I can remember has had those horns.  I just took a quick look back at an old youtube of a Montreal game from 2010 and I could hear it... not as incessantly as last night, but it's been around for a while... and by the looks of the couple, it's likely been them the whole time.

It's definitely a thing that has gone on in montreal a lot, was just a lot more in your face last night. That's why I say it's a TSN issue. They needed to turn down the volume on that ****. 

7 hours ago, Pete Catan's Ghost said:

I was sitting at field level and it was hardly noticeable…certainly not a distraction. 
I was more pissed off by the archaic scoreboard, food, seating and overall game experience. 
The people are top drawer but the stadium sucks. 

I think for the full Molson Stadium experience you've gotta be up in the stands.  It's an extraordinarily beautiful view from up there with the mountains and the city all laid out in front of you.  Especially at sunset during the summer.  for me, it's every bit as charming as people say it is.

(note that I find the view from IGF stunning as well, I come from the Canadian Shield and have never lived on the prairies, so when I looked south from my IGF seats at night and saw the perfect curve of the horizon, that was weird and cool to me.)

Edited by johnzo

1 minute ago, johnzo said:

I think for the full Molson Stadium experience you've gotta be up in the stands.  It's an extraordinarily beautiful view from up there with the mountains and the city all laid out in front of you.  Especially at sunset during the summer.  for me, it's every bit as charming as people say it is.

(note that I find the view from IGF stunning as well, I come from the Canadian Shield and have never lived on the plains, so when I looked south from my IGF seats at night and saw the perfect curve of the horizon, that was weird and cool to me.)

Some of the sunsets at IGF have been pretty spectacular as well.  I sit in the upper deck on the East side and have a great view of it at every game.

6 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

It's definitely a thing that has gone on in montreal a lot, was just a lot more in your face last night. That's why I say it's a TSN issue. They needed to turn down the volume on that ****. 

it could be that TSN moved their stadium mics, or that the horn people were in a different seat than usual. 

I am not a sound guy but I would think that a sound guy could EQ out the nastier frequencies in that horn sound.

53 minutes ago, johnzo said:

it could be that TSN moved their stadium mics, or that the horn people were in a different seat than usual. 

I am not a sound guy but I would think that a sound guy could EQ out the nastier frequencies in that horn sound.

The tech required to basically mute the horn noise isn't particularly difficult - I'm quite certain the frequency distribution is pretty sharp (part of why it's so "loud" is because our ears are really good at hearing something which is significantly louder in a single frequency band - If you've ever been to Thompson you hear the main exhaust fans for the Vale mine clear as day because the noise they make has a sharp peak at 240 Hz.

Crowd noise is pretty much the opposite - very flat frequency distribution with a slight preference to lower frequency (<250 Hz)

It should be very easy to identify the frequency band the horn is in and filter it out WITHOUT lowering the volume of the crowd noise (which adds to the TSN broadcast IMO)

Edited by BomberfanMKS

10 minutes ago, Tracker said:

And with a sweltering night plus a crappy home team, those numbers are encouraging.

Actually pretty close to a full house for that stadium anyways - Looking at capacity is funny.... looks like it was 20K... then they spent millions making it 25K in 2009, then they reduced it to 23K in 2014, then they reduced it to 20K in 2020.... 

37 minutes ago, BomberfanMKS said:

The tech required to basically mute the horn noise isn't particularly difficult - I'm quite certain the frequency distribution is pretty sharp (part of why it's so "loud" is because our ears are really good at hearing something which is significantly louder in a single frequency band - If you've ever been to Thompson you hear the main exhaust fans for the Vale mine clear as day because the noise they make has a sharp peak at 240 Hz.

Crowd noise is pretty much the opposite - very flat frequency distribution with a slight preference to lower frequency (<250 Hz)

It should be very easy to identify the frequency band the horn is in and filter it out WITHOUT lowering the volume of the crowd noise (which adds to the TSN broadcast IMO)

just for fun this weekend I think I'm gonna break out Audacity and the game highlights and see if I can EQ out the horn frequency, because this is what I was thinking -- the horn is going to be a sharp notch on the stadium noise frequency distribution and a notch filter will make short work of it while doing very little damage to the crowd noise (which is valuable, I agree).

8 minutes ago, johnzo said:

just for fun this weekend I think I'm gonna break out Audacity and the game highlights and see if I can EQ out the horn frequency, because this is what I was thinking -- the horn is going to be a sharp notch on the stadium noise frequency distribution and a notch filter will make short work of it while doing very little damage to the crowd noise (which is valuable, I agree).

Once you figure it out you should tweet it at Gary Stern. He seems to be taking lots of flack that should be TSN's.

3 minutes ago, GCJenks said:

Once you figure it out you should tweet it at Gary Stern. He seems to be taking lots of flack that should be TSN's.

Totally. It's not Montreals fault and no one (well, maybe some) are blaming the fans. It's all on TSNs poor produciton. The TSN intern strikes again!

Althought Stern should be calling the league office about it. 

Edited by JCon

25 minutes ago, johnzo said:

Can you post it on YouTube and link it for us? I'd be interested in seeing that.

42 minutes ago, johnzo said:

just for fun this weekend I think I'm gonna break out Audacity and the game highlights and see if I can EQ out the horn frequency, 

also, probably a multi band compressor. free vst. 

https://bedroomproducersblog.com/2010/10/14/bpb-freeware-studio-best-free-multiband-compressor-vst-plugins/

Edited by Mark F

2 hours ago, Sard said:

Some of the sunsets at IGF have been pretty spectacular as well.  I sit in the upper deck on the East side and have a great view of it at every game.

still remember the sunsets at the old Winnipeg Stadium, when we were on the East side.  Some really perfect nights weather-wise, meanwhile the Bombers would be beating the snot out of whatever poor opponent had ventured in to Tyrone Jones' house...

5 hours ago, Rod Black said:

Did we have a bozo try to ban cowbells in Winnipeg? Was it the same clown that banned the beer snake? 

Wasn't it Jim Bell? He accused fans of bringing in paint cans filled with rocks. 

The funny thing about the banning of the cowbells as that the Bomber store was still selling them.

1 hour ago, kelownabomberfan said:

still remember the sunsets at the old Winnipeg Stadium, when we were on the East side.  Some really perfect nights weather-wise, meanwhile the Bombers would be beating the snot out of whatever poor opponent had ventured in to Tyrone Jones' house...

that is a beautiful and literary image -- a literal sunset falling on Ty Jones as he metaphorically sunsets a quarterback.

1 hour ago, WinnipegGordo said:

Wasn't it Jim Bell? He accused fans of bringing in paint cans filled with rocks. 

The funny thing about the banning of the cowbells as that the Bomber store was still selling them.

How dare he. It was a 2L pop bottle with a pound of pennies and nickles and it was awesome.

5 hours ago, BomberfanMKS said:

The tech required to basically mute the horn noise isn't particularly difficult - I'm quite certain the frequency distribution is pretty sharp

I grabbed a few seconds of horn and crowd noise audio from the game highlights.  here's a freq distribution for that slice.  like you said, sharp peaks ... you can really see how nasty that horn is, it's 10-18db louder than the crowd depending on the frequency. That's a LOT of dBs. TSN must have had a mic pointed directly at horn people.

I dorked around with notch filters and parametric eq's but couldn't make anything fine enough to preserve the crowd noise while taming the horn.  I wonder if a sound engineer could fix this in the course of a broadcast or if she would shrug and tell her boss they need to fix the problem at its source, by changing up the stadium mics or taking the horns away.

Screenshot-from-2022-08-05-18-16-16.png