CHAMPS vs. Flappers - early thread

Mark H.

32 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Not really because he has no chance to win a 50-50 ball.  He'll have to be wide-open to be a threat on a vertical route.  The DB doesn't have to sit on top of his routes they can run with him and under him, and he's not like a Weston Dressler or Don Narcisse where he can be a little guy but win with technique/route running.  Using Grant as a regular receiver is a turnover waiting to happen.

doesn't have to be, and ideally it shouldnt be a 50/50 ball....this 50/50 ball narrative is dumb, and recipe for non-success....u want the QB to hit the reciever in stride behind coverage, or put it in a spot to run under...or run to, not stop and battle for it...and Grant would be just fine in that role.....I don't want my deep game predicated on tossing up a Faj and being stopped...static and fighting for the ball...thats just plain useless

17 minutes ago, Booch said:

doesn't have to be, and ideally it shouldnt be a 50/50 ball....this 50/50 ball narrative is dumb, and recipe for non-success....u want the QB to hit the reciever in stride behind coverage, or put it in a spot to run under...or run to, not stop and battle for it...and Grant would be just fine in that role.....I don't want my deep game predicated on tossing up a Faj and being stopped...static and fighting for the ball...thats just plain useless

I mean it works for Schoen or Lawler who are 6'3.  We're talking about the catch radius on a guy who is 5'6 and not a burner.  Haven't seen a QB who can throw that guy open in coverage.  The way zones are matched to routes now good luck getting someone that open all by himself without a DB having time to recover.  Might happen once a game and he'd have to be in the first couple reads for it to get hit.

Edited by JuranBoldenRules

58 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

He can still draw coverage away from other routes by taking the top off. I mean they can't let him just go without someone at least covering him. Not suggesting we actually throw him the ball. Sitting down in curl routes does nothing to help our offence at all. 

Trevor Harris was a good QB at one point, now he fears contact so the question is moot. Trevor Harris can only beat us if his OL has the game of their lives because once we hit him it's game over.

He was indeed pretty good at one point. Around the top of the 2nd tier of qbs just out side the elite most of the time imo. 

IF harris came to a situation like collaros did when he came here, how far would he go? I feel like he's always been prone to being anti clutch and not succeeding in the red zone. I feel like he's always been a head case too. 

12 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

I mean it works for Schoen or Lawler who are 6'3.  We're talking about the catch radius on a guy who is 5'6 and not a burner.  Haven't seen a QB who can throw that guy open in coverage.  The way zones are matched to routes now good luck getting someone that open all by himself without a DB having time to recover.  Might happen once a game and he'd have to be in the first couple reads for it to get hit.

Schoen is 6'1, but he plays like he's 6'6. Dressler was like that as a small guy. And yeah certainly he is not an over achieving undersized guy like that. 

4 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

He was indeed pretty good at one point. Around the top of the 2nd tier of qbs just out side the elite most of the time imo. 

IF harris came to a situation like collaros did when he came here, how far would he go? I feel like he's always been prone to being anti clutch and not succeeding in the red zone. I feel like he's always been a head case too. 

Schoen is 6'1, but he plays like he's 6'6. Dressler was like that as a small guy. And yeah certainly he is not an over achieving undersized guy like that. 

Reminds me of Brian Kelly from the old Edmonton teams.  Just a little guy, but he was always open.  Just couldn't understand it.

Just now, kelownabomberfan said:

Reminds me of Brian Kelly from the old Edmonton teams.  Just a little guy, but he was always open.  Just couldn't understand it.

I had seen Dressler in Grand Forks because one of my former teammates was playing on UND teams with him, but holy **** when you saw it in the CFL with Michael Bishop at that 2008 Banjo Bowl...guy can get open on every route in the book, run by anyone, catch everything, dive fully extended and catch the ball.  Broke my heart that Sask got him and we didn't get him until his body was breaking down.

44 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

I had seen Dressler in Grand Forks because one of my former teammates was playing on UND teams with him, but holy **** when you saw it in the CFL with Michael Bishop at that 2008 Banjo Bowl...guy can get open on every route in the book, run by anyone, catch everything, dive fully extended and catch the ball.  Broke my heart that Sask got him and we didn't get him until his body was breaking down.

Sure, but he still played great for us. 

5 hours ago, Tracker said:

Mancuso's CV described him as an interesting prospect and I am mildly surprised they kept Prokop who has not shown a lot- not even all that good at short yardage plunges. Oh well, that is probably why I wasn't offer the position of Director of Scouting.

When I first signed and accepted the Bombers offer, I got two seats for like 24 bucks a game. 

2 minutes ago, Mr. Perfect said:

No offence intended but what difference would it make? If he can't go, next man up and get the win - and when Ellingson is ready (might as well wait until after the bye at this point) then giv'er hell. 

It doesn’t make any difference if they win every game or lose every game - it’s just entertainment.

But we’re obviously interested and invested in this game so it would nice to be informed about things that affect the game - like how long Ellingson is going to be out and how he got injured.

12 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Hope we see some McCrae and Harrison otherwise I'll be sad we didn't leave Wilcots on to keep our DL extra fresh and just torture Harris.

Agreed. I can understand keeping McRae on as an injury replacement / rotation player but Harrison strikes me as a waste unless we give him rest. On paper we're thin at DE compared to previous games, although maybe Walker or Sayles can get reps at DE?

1 hour ago, Jesse said:

It doesn’t make any difference if they win every game or lose every game - it’s just entertainment.

But we’re obviously interested and invested in this game so it would nice to be informed about things that affect the game - like how long Ellingson is going to be out and how he got injured.

Player injuries are very personal and one of the things that makes Osh so popular is that he doesn't disclose players personal business. The fans don't need that information. 

33 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Player injuries are very personal and one of the things that makes Osh so popular is that he doesn't disclose players personal business. The fans don't need that information. 

Maybe true, but as part of the gaming agreement the CFL signed this offseason each team is required to provide an accurate assessment of players injury status prior to game time.  

Lest Mike forgets the new rules.

Twitter 上的Family Guy:"i'm a lil' bummed they didn't even give me a chance  to throw the rock. 😢 https://t.co/FVnndh7INr" / Twitter

I’m pretty fired up tonight thinking that Stern was yakking how they will beat our team. I’m pissed already cause I didn’t want to be accused of “starting” drinking day of the game. So, begin the game festivities the day before! GO BLUE! 

4 hours ago, kschach said:

Agreed. I can understand keeping McRae on as an injury replacement / rotation player but Harrison strikes me as a waste unless we give him rest. On paper we're thin at DE compared to previous games, although maybe Walker or Sayles can get reps at DE?

Also playing a QB who doesn't run and is pretty much zero threat to run so no need for extra defensive ends 

5 hours ago, Noeller said:

Why are player injuries personal? I've never understood this. Sports is a business & athletes are public figures. They accept this when they agree to play professionally. It's part of the job description. If a guy has a knee injury & he's out for 8 weeks, he's out for 8 weeks. If a player has a dislocated hip & is gone for the season then so be it. A separated shoulder & out for 6 weeks then he's out for 6 weeks.

To me, it's nothing to do with protecting anyone or keeping injuries personal. Instead, it's teams not wanting to give away an advantage to opponents regading length of injury recoveries so it's kept a secret. With sports betting, teams should be announcing the kind of injuries players have & how long they're expected to be out of the lineup. Millions of dollars are being dropped every week. Protecting players is way down the list. Injuries shouldn't be kept a secret anymore. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

17 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

guy can get open on every route in the book,

I never played football...

what goes into running a route? It doesnt seem that complicated in theory, yet some can, and some cant do it. also, finding open spot. why are some players able to do that?

I guess speed and start stop, quick cuts, but some players with physical ability cant do it well

when dressler played for sask... he was always open v. Bombers. it was irritating. and they couldnt tackle him. tip toing down the sidelines. 

Edited by Mark F

4 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Why are player injuries personal? I've never understood this. Sports is a business & athletes are public figures. They accept this when they agree to play professionally. It's part of the job description. If a guy has a knee injury & he's out for 8 weeks, he's out for 8 weeks. If a player has a dislocated hip & is gone for the season then so be it. A separated shoulder & out for 6 weeks then he's out for 6 weeks.

To me, it's nothing to do with protecting anyone or keeping injuries personal. Instead, it's teams not wanting to give away an advantage to opponents regading length of injury recoveries so it's kept a secret. With sports betting, teams should be announcing the kind of injuries players have & how long they're expected to be out of the lineup. Millions of dollars are being dropped every week. Protecting players is way down the list. Injuries shouldn't be kept a secret anymore. 

What is wrong with teams wanting to keep their advantage, and why should any fan’s “need” to know supersede that? When Streveler had his foot injury in 2019 and it was known, the Stamps in their playoff game took every opportunity to grab and twist his ankle to hurt him if not knock him out of the game. Fajardo says the knowledge of his bad knee is leading to teams targeting him. It happens all the time, and players play hurt all the time. Protecting them is well above the gambler’s need for full disclosure in the team’s mind. 

Besides, as a gambler all you need to know is “is the player in or out this week before I place my bet?”. You have that information. Whether or not he is back next week is next week’s news. Why he is out this week is irrelevant for gambling purposes. This is not about gambling, it’s about the fan’s feeling of entitlement to be  “in the know”. And Mike O’Shea does not feel you are entitled to that information, because his need to protect his player and maintain an advantage in an effort to win games and keep his job is more important than a random fan’s feelings, IMO.