Around The NHL 2022-23

11 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

no way!  They play in "Mullett Arena"??  Oh man that's hilarious!  Was it designed by this guy?

Pin on 1980s

I mean, they handed out fake mullets for the first game of the year.......this hasn't really been "news" since last fall.... 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/coyotes-giving-students-mullets-for-mullett-arena-debut-vs-jets/

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/kyle-dubas-not-returning-as-maple-leafs-general-manager/

The Toronto Maple Leafs have "parted ways" with Kyle Dubas and he will not return as general manager, the team announced on Friday.

Dubas’ exit, following the team’s second-round exit from the Stanley Cup Playoffs, ends his five-year run as general manager of the Maple Leafs – a stretch that had lots of regular-season success but consistent playoff woes.

"I would like to thank Kyle for his unwavering dedication over these last nine seasons with the organization, including his last five as general manager," Maple Leafs president Brendan Shanahan said in a release. "Kyle fostered a great culture within our dressing room and staff, and consistently pushed to make our team better season over season. We wish Kyle and his family the best moving forward and thank him for his valuable contributions.”

He signed a five-year deal back in 2018 after he was promoted to general manager in place of Lou Lamoriello. Dubas was hired to be Toronto’s assistant GM back in 2014 by president Brendan Shanahan at the age of 28 after a three-year run as GM of his hometown Soo Greyhounds of the OHL. His contract was set to expire on June 30.

Dubas, 37, moves on from the Maple Leafs. He said Monday during a post-season press conference he was not interested in going to another team, but also wasn't sure if he'd be back, citing the stress of the job on his family.

8 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

As I haven't followed our GM closely enough, does he preface his press conferences/media interviews with he will never be satisfied until the he helps bring the Stanley Cup to Winnipeg before he goes into his we've improved, it's hard to make the playoffs, a lot of you don't understand hockey etc mode?

Just wondering, it was an actual non snarky thought I had the other day.

14 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

So Dubas has one playoff series win in the past five years and made the playoffs each year. Chevy has one in the same span and has missed the playoffs twice. Seriously does he have picked of Chipman and a goat.

Toronto is different than winnipeg 

Dubas was under a ton of pressure,  ton and dude was starting to snap and break. 

It's best for Kyle to take time away 

Winnipeg and Toronto should never ever be compared. Winnipeg isn't even close to the pressures in Toronto or Montreal for that matter.  

Winnipeg Is more Minnesota Nashville St Louis comparative 

Edited by Goalie

8 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Dubas was under a ton of pressure,  ton and dude was starting to snap and break. 

Winnipeg and Toronto should never ever be compared. Winnipeg isn't even close to the pressures in Toronto or Montreal for that matter.  

I'm wondering if Chevy and the GM's from the teams you mention would agree with this sentiment. Might be a bit more complicated than this.

I think it is inevitable that they will relocate to Houston; really only feasible location for them imo. Huge city with lots of potential to build a big fanbase and revenue streams. I am surprised they have lasted this long in Arizona tbh; even when they were decent, still had no fans.

1 hour ago, Goalie said:

My point was that other teams makes changes and we're going into year 13 of Chevy with one great season and a lot of meh.

From Pro Hockey Rumours excerpt from a story by Ken MacMillan;

General manager Brian MacLellan expressed disappointment in Mantha's season, and the forward didn't shy away from taking accountability for his consistency and underwhelming effort.

"Just myself to blame," Mantha said.

Despite the hardships, Mantha believes he still has a lot left to prove and wants to show the Capitals what he can do.

"I want to come back here next year and prove to everyone, including myself, that they came to me for a reason, and that's exactly my mental state of mind for next year," Mantha added.

A few other NHL'rs should take note here imho.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/maple-leafs-hire-former-flames-general-manager-brad-treliving-as-new-gm/

The Toronto Maple Leafs hired former Calgary Flames general manager Brad Treliving on Wednesday to fill their vacant GM role.

"I am very excited and honoured to join the Toronto Maple Leafs as General Manager," said Treliving via a team-released statement. "I would like to thank Brendan, MLSE and its Board for their support throughout this process. I’m thrilled to join an Original Six team and recognize how much the Maple Leafs mean to this community. This is a very exciting day for my family and I.”

1 minute ago, JCon said:

Let's hope he brings the same level of success to the Leaf organization as he did to the Flames organization. Great hire for all non-Leaf fans. Superb! 

I don't see how this is an upgrade but what do I know.

And what exactly is Shanahan's role other than what his title says?

it is HILARIOUS to me that the Leafs, who like to make a big splash, would go with Treliving who created an absolute mess in Calgary, with a very public AWFUL off-season last summer, where he sold his cows for magic beans. Hilarious.