BACK 2 BACK CHAMPS at Argos GDT

Nolby

18 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Picture this.... your boss comes up to you and says, "we're not exactly firing you, but we're cutting your salary by 3/4, could you please vacate your office and move all your **** over to that broken chair beside the photocopy machine?  You're still a valuable part of our team!"

if you can no longer do your job.... why not?

10 minutes ago, BBlink said:

Will be watching in Bedford, NS tonight. Greenwood, NS for the BC game. And we got tickets to hopefully watch the Riders lose in the Touchdown Atlantic game in Wolfville.

Any suggestions on a sign to bring to the TD Atlantic game? 

‘Riders Suck’ is always a classic.

23 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Picture this.... your boss comes up to you and says, "we're not exactly firing you, but we're cutting your salary by 3/4, could you please vacate your office and move all your **** over to that broken chair beside the photocopy machine?  You're still a valuable part of our team!"

Picture this. You are managing your team and evaluating your upcoming vendor contract renewals. This particular vendor is using old technology and is prone to breaking down with extended downtime and costs multiple times that of other vendors. However, due to the relationship you've built, rather than cutting them loose you offer them lesser responsibility and a contract closer in value to what it would cost to replace them.

No one is begrudging the club’s actions in demoting Glass. It’s a business decision. And no one should begrudge the player if he chose to turn down a PR spot, if that’s even how it played out. The rumour mill at best gets it half right half the time  

But lots of blind speculation with zero facts from more than a few fans as to why Glass was ultimately cut. Does anyone have proof that he was offered a PR spot? Does anyone have concrete info as to why he was released? Not from what I’ve heard, but it hasn’t stopped some from assuming that it must be more than just a production-based decision, that there is likely a character issue at play, or that if he declined a PR spot (and a vastly reduced salary) that he isn’t a FIFO guy by hanging around so it’s OK to tell him to go straight to hell. That’s pretty classless IMO.

No one knows his personal circumstance, but he’d hardly be the first player to weigh his options and decide he’s better off being released outright to pursue other employment on another team or in another line of work than sit on the sidelines making lower pay. Maybe he has a family to feed and needs a better salary, maybe another opportunity is upcoming that fits him better…..doesn’t allow fans to blindly call his character into question and kick him on the way out the door for a personal life decision he has made with zero evidence as to why because the FIFO mantra gets thrown out as the end all be all. 

Just now, TrueBlue4ever said:

No one is begrudging the club’s actions in demoting Glass. It’s a business decision. And no one should begrudge the player if he chose to turn down a PR spot, if that’s even how it played out. The rumour mill at best gets it half right half the time  

But lots of blind speculation with zero facts from more than a few fans as to why Glass was ultimately cut. Does anyone have proof that he was offered a PR spot? Does anyone have concrete info as to why he was released? Not from what I’ve heard, but it hasn’t stopped some from assuming that it must be more than just a production-based decision, that there is likely a character issue at play, or that if he declined a PR spot (and a vastly reduced salary) that he isn’t a FIFO guy by hanging around so it’s OK to tell him to go straight to hell. That’s pretty classless IMO.

No one knows his personal circumstance, but he’d hardly be the first player to weigh his options and decide he’s better off being released outright to pursue other employment on another team or in another line of work than sit on the sidelines making lower pay. Maybe he has a family to feed and needs a better salary, maybe another opportunity is upcoming that fits him better…..doesn’t allow fans to blindly call his character into question and kick him on the way out the door for a personal life decision he has made with zero evidence as to why because the FIFO mantra gets thrown out as the end all be all. 

No one said they knew. Everyone acknowledged it was speculation. 

3 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

1) The closest we'll ever get to an official answer was something Tait tweeted - the club likes what they saw from Houston.  MOS won't throw a player under the bus so we'll likely never know if there was more to it. 

2) A PR spot does not automatically mean a drastically reduced salary - the team is able to pay their full salary if they choose to.

3) If you take the FIFO/go to hell  stuff in this thread as anything more than a joke - lighten up Francis.  People understand this is a business and players have to do what what they think is best - so does the team.

Younger did say salary cap constraints had a hand in Glass' release, that and that they like the young guys they have and Houston earned it...he probably also knows the system better and made fewer mistakes....he been here 2 yrs now, and you also did see in game Taylor and Rose giving Glass directions and a couple times were mad/upset for being in wrong spot, or having to direct him to right spot....sure it's not FIFO related

5 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

3) If you take the FIFO/go to hell  stuff in this thread as anything more than a joke - lighten up Francis.  People understand this is a business and players have to do what what they think is best - so does the team.

3 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Curious to see how Harris does against our run D tonight. Apparently his ankle has been bothering him if I recall the reports correctly.

Love me some Andrew Harris over the years but at this point it’s a different injury every week, he’s had a heavy work load for over a decade. Even if Oliveria and Augustine haven’t been lighting it up it was time to move on from him regardless. 

2 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

Love me some Andrew Harris over the years but at this point it’s a different injury every week, he’s had a heavy work load for over a decade. Even if Oliveria and Augustine haven’t been lighting it up it was time to move on from him regardless. 

yup....agreed.....he'd have taken up cap space...been an injury issue all yr, and who knows what his production would be like.....every tea has a time when it has to move away from a team and fan favorite...this was our time, and good teams don't linger and hold on too long...I think tonight we will see some interesting and exciting things with the 3 backs...and some nice explosive and eye catching run work

1 minute ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

Tonight, ol’ #33 will not be a guy I’m cheering for. This game was going to happen when he signed with any other team. No hard feelings, but I would rather, even if he gets crushed, us win than see him be successful against us. 

1 minute ago, JCon said:

I would like to bemoan the fact that the Argos are not coming to Winnipeg this year. Obviously, couldn't have predicted Harris going there but, why on earth in a 9 team league and 18 games, do we not play each time twice???

That sucks. I’ll bemoan too. 

20 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Curious to see how Harris does against our run D tonight. Apparently his ankle has been bothering him if I recall the reports correctly.

I think its his hamstring

6 minutes ago, JCon said:

I would like to bemoan the fact that the Argos are not coming to Winnipeg this year. Obviously, couldn't have predicted Harris going there but, why on earth in a 9 team league and 18 games, do we not play each time twice???

Ill never stop bitching about not playing Ottawa once last season. Could have padded our stats big time!

1 minute ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

I think its his hamstring

Ill never stop bitching about not playing Ottawa once last season. Could have padded our stats big time!

Yes, and having Lapo come through town here would have been good too. It's so random. 

And, I blame the Bombers for this because they could make it happen.

10 minutes ago, JCon said:

We played 14 games last year and we didn’t play Ottawa once. It boggles my mind how this can happen in a “professional” league. I love the CFL but this is bush league. 

1 hour ago, Fatty Liver said:

Just don't touch my stapler.

21 minutes ago, JCon said:

I heard the league wanted to reduce travel costs while coming out of the pandemic. As an example, Calgary is playing Edmonton 4 times this season.