Injury Report, Lineup Changes, Roster Moves

BigBlue

1 hour ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

I still don’t understand why he gets 15 carries, and Augustine gets 2, it should be closer to dead even in my opinion and then go with the back down the stretch who is producing more to close out the game. 

yeah first half I think should be a full even rotation and see who is having success, or how defense is defending...then roll with hotter hand

isn't it tough as a RB to get into a rhythm without getting consistent touches? I would think the constant rotation of backs would make it even harder for them to have any success? But I leave actual game play questions like that up to Booch, wbbfan and JBR.....

6 minutes ago, Noeller said:

isn't it tough as a RB to get into a rhythm without getting consistent touches? I would think the constant rotation of backs would make it even harder for them to have any success? But I leave actual game play questions like that up to Booch, wbbfan and JBR.....

Ummm YES as a former running back it hurts my heart to only see Augustine get two carries, me personally.. I liked to be fed early and often but I realize we’re not a run first team but that’s why I like the idea of a 50/50 split going into the fourth and whoever takes control of the game deserves to close it. Most running backs normally get better later as the defense tires, we’ve seen that for years with Harris where fourth quarter was his time to shine. 

1 hour ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

Ummm YES as a former running back it hurts my heart to only see Augustine get two carries, me personally.. I liked to be fed early and often but I realize we’re not a run first team but that’s why I like the idea of a 50/50 split going into the fourth and whoever takes control of the game deserves to close it. Most running backs normally get better later as the defense tires, we’ve seen that for years with Harris where fourth quarter was his time to shine. 

I honestly feel Augustine is our #1 back as he seems to have a few more finely tuned tools than Oliveira (cuts,top speed,vision)

yup...u need to get a feel and in a rhythm...and also get yourself game acclimated....alternating possession's at least the first 1 to 2 quarters would be the best...and then roll with whoever is producing...even sets with both on at same time....as then they cant key on any specific guy. And not sure why some say Augustine couldnt take full reps...he not big enough...he plenty big enough and would thrive with 12 to 15 touches a game minimum....Roberts had no problem taking full reps....and he took a lot of abuse too game in and game out, and many a game took over in late 4th quarter and we grinded out wins and killed the clock...the narrative Johnny couldnt do it is just plain dumb...and late in a game...with a lead....put em both out there to kill a game..

also Johhny's blocking is more than adequate...and not a concern...coaching has even said so....posters maintaining that stance obviously not watching...or know what to watch for, especially not knowing the individual blocking scheme and or assignment each play....and if they are that much of a savant and guru I wish I had their knowledge and know ow all these yrs

Edited by Booch

Agree with the opinion that Augustine and Oliveira should basically split reps, and go with whoever is rolling. Totally supported not paying a 35 year old Harris big $, but full respect - you can really see the difference. He is a hall of famer, our current RB's likely won't be. But we need at least 75% of the total production Harris gave us from our two RB's, and for defenses to at least respect our run game a bit. 

56 minutes ago, M.Silverback said:

Agree with the opinion that Augustine and Oliveira should basically split reps, and go with whoever is rolling. Totally supported not paying a 35 year old Harris big $, but full respect - you can really see the difference. He is a hall of famer, our current RB's likely won't be. But we need at least 75% of the total production Harris gave us from our two RB's, and for defenses to at least respect our run game a bit. 

That and we gave up Harris salary to retain TWO guys. So let's see both guys then 

1 hour ago, M.Silverback said:

Well the thing is we had 3, 100 plus yard games with Oliveria and Augustine in 7 games started between the two, obviously I think Oliveria needs to show more, and even Augustine to an extent (but hard to judge off so few carries) but it’s clear we’re not getting the huge holes we were getting in the past couple of seasons by the hogs upfront. Hopefully it will continue to get better because atleast on the pass blocking front we’ve been getting better week to week. 

question for football knowing people: are those guys 100% interchangeable?

do the Bombers have certain plays they'd only run with Oliveira on the field, and others they'll only run with Augustine?  How much does Pierce's playcalling change based on who's in?

8 minutes ago, johnzo said:

question for football knowing people: are those guys 100% interchangeable?

do the Bombers have certain plays they'd only run with Oliveira on the field, and others they'll only run with Augustine?  How much does Pierce's playcalling change based on who's in?

Skill wise no. But we try to hammer both into the same useage any way. 

1 hour ago, Booch said:

yup...u need to get a feel and in a rhythm...and also get yourself game acclimated....alternating possession's at least the first 1 to 2 quarters would be the best...and then roll with whoever is producing...even sets with both on at same time....as then they cant key on any specific guy. And not sure why some say Augustine couldnt take full reps...he not big enough...he plenty big enough and would thrive with 12 to 15 touches a game minimum....Roberts had no problem taking full reps....and he took a lot of abuse too game in and game out, and many a game took over in late 4th quarter and we grinded out wins and killed the clock...the narrative Johnny couldnt do it is just plain dumb...and late in a game...with a lead....put em both out there to kill a game..

also Johhny's blocking is more than adequate...and not a concern...coaching has even said so....posters maintaining that stance obviously not watching...or know what to watch for, especially not knowing the individual blocking scheme and or assignment each play....and if they are that much of a savant and guru I wish I had their knowledge and know ow all these yrs

rb protection calls are not complex. You can make that point with some thing like chip and Release vs blocking at times. But even those aren’t too hard most of the time. 

teams scout players tendencies and proficiencies all the time across leagues and levels. And they do it very seldom knowing the play book of that team. 

augustines lack of consistency is enough reason alone. They might feel he’s not big enough for the every down pounding I don’t tend to agree with that logic and those things we can’t know. 

id love to see some postulation as to why he doesn’t start from people who think Augustine should start. 

1 minute ago, wbbfan said:

Skill wise no. But we try to hammer both into the same useage any way. 

rb protection calls are not complex. You can make that point with some thing like chip and Release vs blocking at times. But even those aren’t too hard most of the time. 

teams scout players tendencies and proficiencies all the time across leagues and levels. And they do it very seldom knowing the play book of that team. 

augustines lack of consistency is enough reason alone. They might feel he’s not big enough for the every down pounding I don’t tend to agree with that logic and those things we can’t know. 

id love to see some postulation as to why he doesn’t start from people who think Augustine should start. 

Yeah I would like to be a fly on the wall and know the justification for Oliveria over Augustine. I don’t see durability being an issue, he’s 5’9 200 pounds of pure muscle, we had a 150 pound running back get 350 touches every season, and that’s with a guy who smoke and drank after every game. 

2 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

rb protection calls are not complex.

from the outside it looks super complicated. 

the RB needs to read and react in pass protection, right?  does the RB ever come to the line on a passing play and know exactly who he is going to block?

4 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

Yeah I would like to be a fly on the wall and know the justification for Oliveria over Augustine. I don’t see durability being an issue, he’s 5’9 200 pounds of pure muscle, we had a 150 pound running back get 350 touches every season, and that’s with a guy who smoke and drank after every game. 

You forgot his pre-game Big Mac's

Just now, johnzo said:

the RB needs to read and react in pass protection, right?  does the RB ever come to the line on a passing play and know exactly who he is going to block?

No it’s pretty forward, he’s usually taking the line backer off the edge if there’s a blitz, or anyone who gets through the initial rush. If there’s multiple guys getting through that’s more of a break down of the offensive line and certainly not on the runningback. 

2 hours ago, wbbfan said:

I can't remember who told me this, so take it with that in mind. But apparently he does have a hard time with picking up blocking. It's not that he can't block, but that he just has a hard time deciding who he's supposed to block. 

3 hours ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

Personally I think a small back in good shape holds up better. They are harder to square up.  And don’t get drug down from behind with as much force or resistance. 

3 hours ago, johnzo said:

normally you get a read pick up or and assist. they are on one side of the qb and their read is to pick up the first path to the qb on that side. Could be an edge rusher a blitzer inside or out or a twisting linemen beating a guard. Usually it’s an edge rusher though. 
 Simply first man with a path to the qb on your side. Few backs are capable of crossing behind the qb and picking up a block and it’s risky at best any way. 

some times If you face a particularly nasty pass rusher like say jeffcoat you might assign your rb to chip the rusher on the outside and force him into the tackle. 

you more so see a rb on the line head up on a rusher in the us where they will motion a blocker to cover an over load blitz. Other wise here you’d see it in either rare two back sets with a blocking back like we used to with mike sellers or in short yardage. 

mostly we use wrs to pinch on the edge almost always woli this year. Rbs here mostly pick up the first man. 

harris used to run block and release and make incredible pick ups. But no one else in the cfl today can do what Harris does in pass pro. 

given how well Augustine has picked up special teams play and improved as a player over the past two ish seasons I see no reason why he can’t become an excellent pass pro rb. Brady’s us experience has him more adept at pick ups but physically Augustine is soo strong and quick I dont see any thing that limits him. But it’s really some thing you have to do in game to improve at. 

Augustine’s split on production between big runs and the rest of his runs is the reason imo. The variance is huge. And neither Brady or Augustine is going to produce great with out great ol. Especially in this system. Augustine with a more diverse zone run scheme like ozr split zone mid zone wide zone and counter / counter trap etc gives us our best production. But I don’t think we will diversify our run scheme. 

3 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

Well Brady has gone from 1.7ypc-3.4ypc-3.7ypc so he is trending up.

As for Roberts, I feel like he was eating big macs, sucking on lung darts and drinking energy drinks at half time.

If that's what it takes to kick Brady/Johnny in the ass to get going then I'm each getting them a pack of players light menthol smooth and a case of Redbulls

5 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Wait, so we're hiring Roberts to be their life coaches? "Boys, late night strip club visits, ciggies, fast food and booze with no working out worked for me and it can work for you too."

It worked perfectly as training for his gig at the post office. He just had to add booking off sick, and liquid lunches at the VFW branch in Long Beach. 

39 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Wait, so we're hiring Roberts to be their life coaches? "Boys, late night strip club visits, ciggies, fast food and booze with no working out worked for me and it can work for you too."

What ever it takes. Maybe an 80s style rocky training montage led by blink. 

32 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

What ever it takes. Maybe an 80s style rocky training montage led by blink. 

I draw the line at gulping down raw eggs....blink could get away with a lot ...puffin and blinken by the weight room ...Don't know what that guy was made of but whatever it was sure turned into one helluva little football player

8 minutes ago, Stickem said:

I draw the line at gulping down raw eggs....blink could get away with a lot ...puffin and blinken by the weight room ...Don't know what that guy was made of but whatever it was sure turned into one helluva little football player

The single most naturally talented player I’ve ever seen play. If he had the drive to train and hone his craft that milt did he’d have a bust in canton. 
 If he was average for a cfl player in those areas he might’ve ended up the cfls all time leader in combined yards and rushing. 

I watch tremendous burners like hill and still don’t see his quickness and first step matched. 

2 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

The single most naturally talented player I’ve ever seen play. If he had the drive to train and hone his craft that milt did he’d have a bust in canton. 
 If he was average for a cfl player in those areas he might’ve ended up the cfls all time leader in combined yards and rushing. 

I watch tremendous burners like hill and still don’t see his quickness and first step matched. 

So easy to cheer for Charlie. An incredible talent. To this day, he’s one of the guys and well respected.