als v. suckskatchewan

Mark F

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

I agree. I think there are hotheads like Marino who just have no self control, and then you have others like Marshall who are just ego driven to take stupid penalties. Either way, adds up to a lack of discipline that the coach can't really do much about because it is ingrained in the individual. A good room might be able to kick a couple of these guys back into shape, but one that is rudderless has no chance.

This is not to let Dickie off the hook, because he is the HC and needs to put his foot down but he inherited a pretty undisciplined roster from Jones that can only be remedied by making some really tough choices.

This is a devil's choice for the Rider head coach and GM. Their best players are some of the biggest problems when it comes to discipline, and if they cut or trade some or all of them, it will be a major setback, at least for the short term. 

56 minutes ago, Tracker said:

This is a devil's choice for the Rider head coach and GM. Their best players are some of the biggest problems when it comes to discipline, and if they cut or trade some or all of them, it will be a major setback, at least for the short term. 

This is indeed the problem. Marino, Marshall, Duke Williams etc. are all impact players who I am sure other players look up to in their position groups and they happen to be 3 of the most undisciplined players. This trickles down their lineup, as younger players see them having on field success with no repercussions for their lack of discipline. Personally, if I were Dickie, next time Marino screws up I would cut him and send a message to the locker room. This likely would not be a popular move, but it might get the other hotheads and prima donnas to think twice before being stupid and he is the loss they could mitigate the easiest.

They could cut a lesser player for lack of discipline but it doesn't send much of a message at all except to set up tiers of acceptable behavior in the locker room based on player profile.

Penalties are just part of the problem too. The players are me first over there from the QB on down. They have no team culture and it shows. A QB that throws his receivers under the bus, players doing their own thing on the field....it's top to bottom...and O'Day wears this as much as Dickie. They have a really good collection of talent, amongst the top of the league, they have a mediocre collection of team players....and that's on scouting and the GM and to a certain extent the HC.

Edited by GCn20

the interesting part is pre-game he mentioned that it was addressed, and that next step is that guys will have to lose playing time if not fixed...well it didnt get fixed...if anything was just as bad if not worse...especially the sideline temper tantrums by a few players....and almost looked like Faj was gonna cry a few times....not a leader guys will gravitate to.....so now what...cause some of the issues were still with key players...does he act ball-less and do nothing , and basically send the message to is guys that they have control and he can be walked over, or does he actually sit a few...risk most likely getting spanked again, and at same time based on that culture there...or lack thereof tick off said players, and cause locker room drama and rifts amongst the team??...will be interesting to watch, and makes you sooooo appreciate where we are....he's in a lose lose situation there, and it drops soley at his feet, and Oday's even more for his lack of addressing glaring needs for 3 yrs now, and bringing in garbage me first guys

56 minutes ago, Booch said:

the interesting part is pre-game he mentioned that it was addressed, and that next step is that guys will have to lose playing time if not fixed...well it didnt get fixed...if anything was just as bad if not worse...especially the sideline temper tantrums by a few players....and almost looked like Faj was gonna cry a few times....not a leader guys will gravitate to.....so now what...cause some of the issues were still with key players...does he act ball-less and do nothing , and basically send the message to is guys that they have control and he can be walked over, or does he actually sit a few...risk most likely getting spanked again, and at same time based on that culture there...or lack thereof tick off said players, and cause locker room drama and rifts amongst the team??...will be interesting to watch, and makes you sooooo appreciate where we are....he's in a lose lose situation there, and it drops soley at his feet, and Oday's even more for his lack of addressing glaring needs for 3 yrs now, and bringing in garbage me first guys

For sure. Off field character issues are big with this team as well. You have CodyFaj crying in the media telling everyone his receivers aren't good enough, (Shaq Evans basically shut down after that), and then you got me first guys brawling at Earl's lounge 2 days before a playoff game. Granted that player is no longer with the team, but he played that week....NO CONSEQUENCES. Every player in the room noticed that you can say anything you want, throw your team mates under the bus if you need to, cry like a man-baby, and fight, brawl, pass out behind the wheel of your car and nothing will be done. Then they wonder why they have discipline issues. lmao

There was a time.... where we had some hot dogging, twitter tirades, and dumb penalties.  
We have zippo with this current regime.  All oars are pulling in the same direction.  Success only reinforces this (the culture)
In the end it comes down to leadership - a coach who has the respect of his players, and having vet leaders in the dressing room.

37 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

For sure. Off field character issues are big with this team as well. You have CodyFaj crying in the media telling everyone his receivers aren't good enough, (Shaq Evans basically shut down after that), and then you got me first guys brawling at Earl's lounge 2 days before a playoff game. Granted that player is no longer with the team, but he played that week....NO CONSEQUENCES. Every player in the room noticed that you can say anything you want, throw your team mates under the bus if you need to, cry like a man-baby, and fight, brawl, pass out behind the wheel of your car and nothing will be done. Then they wonder why they have discipline issues. lmao

same can be said about the PED Leonard issue...Dickieboi basically covered it best he could...made some lame excuse, and no consequence for the verbal attack and treatment on the tester....same with Hughes...I believe he never missed a game for his impaired issue....we sat down Lawler even tho wasn't required.....major difference in the 2 organizations....and it shows with on field stupidity in one place, and lack there of in another

Just now, Bigblue204 said:

Both Hughes and Leonard missed games due to their actions. Hughes was directly from the team....not sure about leonard

Leonard was league mandated...and they tried to hush it ...couldn't remember the Hughes one ..originally he was gonna play and then they decided to sit after getting heat in social media world now I remember 

1 hour ago, Bigblue204 said:

Both Hughes and Leonard missed games due to their actions. Hughes was directly from the team....not sure about leonard

Hughes was only suspended after playing that week when the league nudged them to do it or they would. Leonard was a league mandated suspension.

59 minutes ago, Booch said:

Leonard was league mandated...and they tried to hush it ...couldn't remember the Hughes one ..originally he was gonna play and then they decided to sit after getting heat in social media world now I remember 

Jones announced he would play then the league told the Riders if you don't take him out we will. A league suspension is loss of salary, but a team suspension is at the discretion of the team so the Riders reversed their decision so that Hughes would not lose salary.

Edited by GCn20

33 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Hughes was only suspended after playing that week when the league nudged them to do it or they would. Leonard was a league mandated suspension.

Jones announced he would play then the league told the Riders if you don't take him out we will. A league suspension is loss of salary, but a team suspension is at the discretion of the team so the Riders reversed their decision so that Hughes would not lose salary.

yeah...I knew originally they were just gonna play him....they also tried to keep it under wraps until it slipped out into mainstream news....then cat was outta bag...the fact as well that organization hid guys, had a safe house and were basically using a supplemental "practice roster" to the actual practice and active roster....on the sly tells you more than enough of why they are where they are, and home to douchebagg players

Edited by Booch

2 hours ago, Booch said:

yeah...I knew originally they were just gonna play him....they also tried to keep it under wraps until it slipped out into mainstream news....then cat was outta bag...the fact as well that organization hid guys, had a safe house and were basically using a supplemental "practice roster" to the actual practice and active roster....on the sly tells you more than enough of why they are where they are, and home to douchebag players

I think those incidents were the trigger for the breakdown of team discipline. No consequences to bad behaviour =chaos and lack of respect for the rest of the team, coaches and GM, not to mention their fans. There was a time when the Riders were respected around the league, but that is only a memory now.

1 hour ago, BigBlueFanatic said:

Goes to show how deep you have to go to root out bad culture.  When Jones was in Sask remember his defenders taking a knee to disrupt opposing hurry up offenses, and then laughing as they headed to the sidelines.  So many of those same guys still on that team.

The 2017 Banjo Bowl was the pinnacle of that disgraceful garbage.

But what a win for the good guys and what an atmosphere at that game.

gBawWmA.jpg

just more confirmation of the turds on that roster....Duke is a loser

“I hold myself to a higher standard, the ball in the end zone, the one that he knocked out of my hands, I come down with those. He made a good play, he gets paid just as much as I get paid, not as much money, but you know what I’m saying,” said Williams. 

28 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

My God, there sure are an awful lot of keystrokes being spent on the Roughriders lately on what is supposed to be a Blue Bomber fan site. 

Well in the dark times of covid, while on the eve of WW3, and inflation eating at our retirement funds some of us find it extremely cathartic to look at the Riders and their fans and think how crappy things have been but how glad we are that we are not them. It's like counting your blessings.

1 hour ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

My God, there sure are an awful lot of keystrokes being spent on the Roughriders lately on what is supposed to be a Blue Bomber fan site. 

Back to back grey cups, losses few and far between, team 3-0 to start the year... not much to complain about as a Bomber fan so we complain about others cause life is pretty good in blue and gold these days.