als v. suckskatchewan

Mark F

Montreal only had one more day of prep than SK. Williams wanted to demonstrate some new pass catching method, knock the ball out of the air and then catch it. Worked once, and announcers called it highlight reel, another time and it was incomplete, third time, int for td. Then helmet throwing? Wtf was that child doing? 

2 minutes ago, Rod Black said:

Montreal only had one more day of prep than SK. Williams wanted to demonstrate some new pass catching method, knock the ball out of the air and then catch it. Worked once, and announcers called it highlight reel, another time and it was incomplete, third time, int for td. Then helmet throwing? Wtf was that child doing? 

Montreal played Thursday, Riders Saturday. 

1 hour ago, rebusrankin said:

They still kept Marshall, Edem, Marino, Duke who are all selfish jerks. Not surprised at all by the lack of discipline. Plus Dickenson has all the authority of Barny Fife or Principal Belding.

It always feels like Marino takes 1 - 2 unnecessary roughness penalties per game and usually at the wrong time.

29 minutes ago, Rod Black said:

yeah the catch was a total fluke....just luck that it fell into his fat gut...and yeah for a wideout he looks Nik Lewisesque....minus the heart...and team first mentality...and yeah that helmet toss was pathetic and childish....loserville in riderville

27 minutes ago, stevethe3rd said:

Montreal played Thursday, Riders Saturday. 

still is much ado about nothing...excuses are for losers...we will see if the next short week team gets manhandled...takes dumb penalty after dumb penalty...has their QB look like he has no clue...or arm and get thrashed on the scoreboard

4 minutes ago, Brandon said:

It always feels like Marino takes 1 - 2 unnecessary roughness penalties per game and usually at the wrong time.

and is dirty......from mouths of current players too btw....

34 minutes ago, Booch said:

still is much ado about nothing...excuses are for losers...we will see if the next short week team gets manhandled...takes dumb penalty after dumb penalty...has their QB look like he has no clue...or arm and get thrashed on the scoreboard

Usually on a short week teams are tired in Quarter 3 and 4 and usually the game gets away from them in the 2nd half because of fatigue.   

Yesterday from the opening kick off the Riders were being completely outclassed and Dandy or whatever the new center had fresh legs and was just a turnstile being pushed around from the start.  

It really is crazy what lengths the Rider fan base will go to in order to justify their team’s performance. Nothing matters until they realize that they’re being headed by an average level QB playing behind a terrible OL and the team isn’t anywhere near disciplined enough.

Those are the issues. That’s it. They’ve got solid players at a lot of spots - Duke, Leonard, Robertson, Marino, Sankey, Moncrief, etc etc but Fajardo isn’t a winner and the team around him isn’t going to make up for it by playing hard-nosed and disciplined ball. It’s a bunch of me me me out there and they’re never going to win a ring like that.

13 hours ago, Mike said:

It really is crazy what lengths the Rider fan base will go to in order to justify their team’s performance. Nothing matters until they realize that they’re being headed by an average level QB playing behind a terrible OL and the team isn’t anywhere near disciplined enough.

Those are the issues. That’s it. They’ve got solid players at a lot of spots - Duke, Leonard, Robertson, Marino, Sankey, Moncrief, etc etc but Fajardo isn’t a winner and the team around him isn’t going to make up for it by playing hard-nosed and disciplined ball. It’s a bunch of me me me out there and they’re never going to win a ring like that.

Guys like Williams sulk when things don't go his way. Same with Moncrief. Marino is just a dirty player. Overall the worst disciplined team in the CFL & being run by a head coach who can't do anything to stop it. 

On 2022-06-24 at 10:00 AM, Mark H. said:

Ummm no.  It's pretty hard to win with just defense in this league. You need a QB performance that is at least somewhat competent

The Als might have still have won with a subpar QB performance, but the game would have been much closer

Ummm..no..Harris was average to slightly above average. His was not some virtuoso performance.

On 2022-06-24 at 12:57 PM, Booch said:

short weeks are tuff to an extent...but that wasn't the reason for what we saw....the true team showed up last 2 weeks...plain and simple and that Hamilton game was more due to Hamilton totally crapping all over the place.

The oline with Clark prob gives up 6 sacks regardless....it was laid out plain and simple...QB there is weak....and with zero protection just compounds it....and that defense has pieces, but it's got too many holes, and wayyyy too much undisciplined play....chalk that up to a weak ass coach and management, and bringing in guys who don't buy into team....Dickie said prior to game that if they don't smarten up....then guess guys need to lose playing time....see if he sticks to his guns....but I doubt it

Is it a lack of discipline or a lack of character? Me first players. O'Day learned his craft from Jones who puts zero stock in a player's character. Talent is great when scouting but guys like Walters know that it is only part of the equation. 

Combo of the 2 in my opinion...and you know that there are probably factions in that dressing room that don't see things nor play the game the same way... compound that with a coaching staff and management that either don't have the balls to address it....are just blind to it and can't see it...or have tried and just get walked over cause there's no 2 way respect and you get what you saw the last 2 games....and garuantee u woulda seen it game one if Hamilton actually showed up and made it a game...or were winning

14 hours ago, Booch said:

Combo of the 2 in my opinion...and you know that there are probably factions in that dressing room that don't see things nor play the game the same way... compound that with a coaching staff and management that either don't have the balls to address it....are just blind to it and can't see it...or have tried and just get walked over cause there's no 2 way respect and you get what you saw the last 2 games....and garuantee u woulda seen it game one if Hamilton actually showed up and made it a game...or were winning

I agree. I think there are hotheads like Marino who just have no self control, and then you have others like Marshall who are just ego driven to take stupid penalties. Either way, adds up to a lack of discipline that the coach can't really do much about because it is ingrained in the individual. A good room might be able to kick a couple of these guys back into shape, but one that is rudderless has no chance.

This is not to let Dickie off the hook, because he is the HC and needs to put his foot down but he inherited a pretty undisciplined roster from Jones that can only be remedied by making some really tough choices.

Edited by GCn20