2022 CFL Season - Back 2 Back Champs News

JCon

11 minutes ago, JCon said:

Could the West sweep? 

Of all the West noms I was surprised only by Bryant because he’s been a bit hobbled and I thought Calgary or BC might get the nod due to voter fatigue. Having said that, it would not shock me to see Revenberg beat him out just for the “new blood” factor, otherwise West should win out. If any other upsets, maybe Mauldin over Lemon (although Ottawa was so bad I suspect voters will lean to the “better player on the better team” concept), and if voters think 10 games is not enough, Gittens had a very strong year at receiver and would be a worthy choice for MOC. But the video game numbers and hype train of the position should give Rourke the win there, even with more limited reps. He was hands down the best player in the league when he was in, and it’s just big enough a sample size to qualify him, IMO. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

1 hour ago, Geebrr said:

We are around the same age. The late 80s and early 90s teams were really really good- particularly on  defence but also the Dunigan years on offence. 

The 2001 and 2002 teams were as good as any team in the league and in recent memory in general - just didn’t get it done.

This era is just historically good. Quite frankly, every talks about how consistently good Calgary has been the last 30 years ;and they have been). Sure as hell have not won many Cups for me to be all that impressed. They lose a lot in the playoffs. 

Yeah, for as good as a record BLM had with Calgary its surprising he won only 2 Grey Cups.

Collaros has a chance to beat that total in under 3 seasons. 

1 hour ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

I think the Bombers have a good chance at sweeping the awards they’re all nominated for. 

there is no reason why Osh, and the 3 players shouldnt win. if any of them don't...well there is a serious Bomber hate going on then...all are no brainers...Bryant already got majorly screwedthat one yr, and should be hoisting up his fourth in a row this yr

The west dominated the league this year, they should dominate the most outstanding awards too.

I'm surprised that MOS got the MOC . I expected Campbell who took his team from missing the playoffs to second best in the league in one year, despite losing his starting phenom QB mid-season to get the nod. I guess the first 15 win season trumps the huge leap in the standings.

7 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

7 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

The west dominated the league this year, they should dominate the most outstanding awards too.

I'm surprised that MOS got the MOC . I expected Campbell who took his team from missing the playoffs to second best in the league in one year, despite losing his starting phenom QB mid-season to get the nod. I guess the first 15 win season trumps the huge leap in the standings.

I could see Campbell getting votes. Pretty sure OSH wasn’t unanimous. 

Edited by Pete Catan's Ghost

13 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Probably could have made the same argument for Osh in 2016 when he didn’t get it. 

TBH - I don’t think Campbell is a good coach. 

Edit: Head Coach 

40 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

I personally hate it when they use the MOC to mean "most improved" rather than best.

1 hour ago, Booch said:

agree...dude brought it all yr for a crap team....man a rotation of him and the Jeffs....dare to dream

Though boateng is not as good, a rotational pure pass rush position would be ideal for him. He could be much cheaper now post injury and his passport makes him soo much more friendly as a rotational guy roster wise as well. 
 Imagine if we got kongbo back and brought in boateng? We could roll through a beastly imp nose and keep every one fresh soo easily.  Though hansen will be back so unless we send him back to wil but then kyrie will be back next year too. 

there was a tweet yesterday with a comment from Burke in Ottawa saying that he'd been in discussions with Mauldin's agent and that they felt they had a really good chance to get him back next year, but that he (Mauldin) wanted to hear their vision for the future and know that they were committed to winning...

4 minutes ago, Noeller said:

there was a tweet yesterday with a comment from Burke in Ottawa saying that he'd been in discussions with Mauldin's agent and that they felt they had a really good chance to get him back next year, but that he (Mauldin) wanted to hear their vision for the future and know that they were committed to winning...

Dude isn’t all that young. Can see the logic + a potentially (likely)  career year. 

Beast though 

8 minutes ago, Noeller said:

aka....cleanse the stench of a Lapo ran team and he may consider

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

SOunds like he's a Bomber next year.

19 hours ago, Goalie said:

Considering these guys are back to back Champs and were mostly young kids in 2001, I don't see the relevancy of comparing them to 2001. 

Fans? We don't matter as we don't play. What we think is completely irrelevant 

Don't matter if we all think they will win or lose but 28 and 2 last 30 at ig field suggests that if a team wants to beat us here, they need to play well to do it. 

Go Blue in 2 weeks 

Check the roster & you'll find the 2001 team is very similar in age & experience to our team today. These were no kids.  Fourteen players were in their 30's. Bob Cameron was the oldest at 47 years of age.  Seven players were born between 1965 & 69. Most were experienced CFL players born between 1970 & 1977. Two players were born in 1978 & five in 1979. So, it is relevant. What we see is the same thing the Riders have experienced the past 2 years. The veterans in 2001 didn't speak up. They let the bad behaviour of a few influence the outcome of that 2001 Grey Cup. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

18 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

When your team runs like a Swiss watch in every aspect both on and off the field you deserve the nod. When your team stands in the parking lot looking to jump the opposition as they leave like a bunch of hood rats....not so much.

4 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Check the roster & you'll find the 2001 team is very similar in age & experience to our team today. These were no kids.  Fourteen players were in their 30's. Bob Cameron was the oldest at 47 years of age.  Seven players were born between 1965 & 69. Most were experienced CFL players born between 1970 & 1977. Two players were born in 1978 & five in 1979. So, it is relevant. What we see is the same thing the Riders have experienced the past 2 years. The veterans in 2001 didn't speak up. They let the bad behaviour of a few influence the outcome of that 2001 Grey Cup. 

It was those same veterans that were causing some of the problems. After years of futility they just didn't know how to handle the success they had that season. It went to their heads and they ran with it.

Edited by GCn20

22 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

When your team runs like a Swiss watch in every aspect both on and off the field you deserve the nod. When your team stands in the parking lot looking to jump the opposition as they leave like a bunch of hood rats....not so much.

It was those same veterans that were causing some of the problems. After years of futility they just didn't know how to handle the success they had that season. It went to their heads and they ran with it.

can't argue with that....Osh should get it easily...target on back all yr....dealt with a lot of injuries and roster turnover from guys gone to NFL....Team record for wins, and historically a team after a Championship...let alone a back to back don't have even better seasons post that....can't see how he doesn't win it