2022 CFL Season - Back 2 Back Champs News

JCon

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

That was last year... this year he struggled to make the field on one of the worst teams. 

It's an improvement because Holm at this point isn't good but it isn't like we are unstoppable because he came back. 

Going from F level players to C level players is an improvement.. but lets not make it like we just recruited 2 of the BEST DB's in the league.    It's a step forward and a good move but lets hold expectations back just a bit.   

What he did in Hamilton is completely irrelevant. DIfferent team, different system. He had great success, all star success, here last year and there is no reason in the world to believe he cannot/will not play at a high level on our team in our system again. DB, particularly, is a position where sytems can make a player look great or awful depending on whether they are well suited to them. Darby is well suited to our system.

20 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

Definitely still a solid starter.

He is a physical freak. Dude is shredded. May be a little slower but he could still play.  Smart as well. 

he's still the fastest on the team...dude is a physical freak....no let up in his play, but I certain he is done for yr...Of all our guys I feel he is the one not coming back...Woli I expect..Agudosi as well....and I also see Wilson being back....fact Hansen is walking around beit in a boot...means he didnt need surgery...Taylor I am sure is crouching it

17 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

What he did in Hamilton is completely irrelevant. DIfferent team, different system. He had great success, all star success, here last year and there is no reason in the world to believe he cannot/will not play at a high level on our team in our system again. DB, particularly, is a position where sytems can make a player look great or awful depending on whether they are well suited to them. Darby is well suited to our system.

exactly...he will be the exact player he was here last yr...no questions about that at all

43 minutes ago, Mr. Perfect said:

Had a listen to the coach's show on Spotify this morning from last night's episode. Osh mentioned that while he isn't expecting anyone new back this week, that there are "a number of players who are extremely close" or something to that effect.

Maybe agudosi,Ellington?

7 minutes ago, Booch said:

I think Wilson....and also a reason why we never really went out and traded, or grabbed an NFL reject to fill his spot, and just been filling it with what we have in-house

We're talking Kyrie here? I'm just having a brain fart. Kyrie would be a monster return

Edited by Nolby

39 minutes ago, Booch said:

he's still the fastest on the team...dude is a physical freak....no let up in his play, but I certain he is done for yr...Of all our guys I feel he is the one not coming back...Woli I expect..Agudosi as well....and I also see Wilson being back....fact Hansen is walking around beit in a boot...means he didnt need surgery...Taylor I am sure is crouching it

exactly...he will be the exact player he was here last yr...no questions about that at all

Not to mention Hamilton never utilized him at SAM at all, they had him playing HB and CB. That's a completely different ball of wax altogether. 

57 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

It should be relevant,  it's this year.   If he is considered elite and an all star then why didn't any other team trade a late pic or depth player to get him.       I'm not saying he's garbage...  A+ elite level players are not healthy scratches.     He's a solid depth player pick up that is better then the two rookies we currently have.    

4 minutes ago, Brandon said:

It should be relevant,  it's this year.   If he is considered elite and an all star then why didn't any other team trade a late pic or depth player to get him.       I'm not saying he's garbage...  A+ elite level players are not healthy scratches.     He's a solid depth player pick up that is better then the two rookies we currently have.    

He is an all star SAM in this league. He proved that last year. Hamilton did not play him at SAM. They tried to force a square peg in a round hole by playing him at HB and CB. It would be like wondering why Willie Jefferson is not a particularly great DT after a team moves him from DE. We brought Darby here to be our SAM, a position he is far more well suited for. 

Edited by GCn20

Just now, Brandon said:

Contract, need, scheme, injury, etc…

Don’t care what he did in Hamilton. It is a great pick up in October. 

Just now, Geebrr said:

Contract, need, scheme, injury, etc…

Don’t care what he did in Hamilton. It is a great pick up in October. 

They played him at boundary HB. We play him at SAM LBer. The difference in the situation should be obvious. He struggled at HB because he is much better suited to being a LBer.

4 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

He is an all star SAM in this league. He proved that last year. Hamilton did not play him at SAM. They tried to force a square peg in a round hole by playing him at HB and CB. It would be like wondering why Willie Jefferson is not a particularly great DT after a team moves him from DE.

Cody Fajardo is a former MOP of the West in this league....  he currently lacks an o-line and receivers so does that mean he's being forced a square peg in a round hole by playing behind his current team?      Some people have great years and off years and some people are just in the right place at the right time playing around the right people.    If a guy can't start on a losing team then I wouldn't suggest that he's a current all star level talent.  It's TBD.     

Hopefully he returns to form as that would work best for us.   

3 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Cody Fajardo is a former MOP of the West in this league....  he currently lacks an o-line and receivers so does that mean he's being forced a square peg in a round hole by playing behind his current team?      Some people have great years and off years and some people are just in the right place at the right time playing around the right people.    If a guy can't start on a losing team then I wouldn't suggest that he's a current all star level talent.  It's TBD.     

Hopefully he returns to form as that would work best for us.   

I am not sure you are understanding that he played a vastly different position in Hamilton than he will here. Your comparison makes no sense because Cody was QB then and is QB now. We are going to move Darby to a position he has demonstrated he is better at than being in the secondary.

Edited by GCn20

1 minute ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

I know right... I guess we will just have to see how he does over the next few weeks. 

I suspect that will depend whether we play him at boundary HB or SAM LBer, Methinks the latter. Darby is not the guy to cover a 1A or 1B receiver and I'm not sure why Hamilton played him there. He is however pretty damn good at picking up coverage on a team's 4th or 5th option, tackles well in the run game, and is great at keeping contain on QBs. Hmmm....where to play him?

Edited by GCn20

1 minute ago, GCn20 said:

I am not sure you are understanding that he played a vastly different position in Hamilton than he will here. Your comparison makes no sense because Cody was QB then and is QB now.

He's also one of the few pickups they could have made league wide that already knows the system and can be ready to play in 3 days.

5 minutes ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

I know right... I guess we will just have to see how he does over the next few weeks. 

I am willing to bet on him. His time with the Ti-Cats appears to be an aberration when looking at his career numbers. His stat line this season is hardly bad, anyway. And IIRC, the Ti-Cats paid him handsomely in free agency, only to not use him very well, if at all.

This acquisition is a damn good one for the Bombers, IMO.

Edited by blue_gold_84