2022 CFL Season - Back 2 Back Champs News

JCon

21 hours ago, Geebrr said:

You don’t tell a player that they should retire. 

Their Defence isn’t that good outside of their starting LBs. I doubt Dean or Sankey go back next year. Their secondary has gotten torched all year and their line is massively overrated. Lanier clearly is their best DL. 

If someone like Bighill decided to hang em up after this year... either of those two would look nice in blue and gold...

21 hours ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

That Hamilton game sticks in my craw. Win that one and we are one win against the Elks away from wrapping up the division.

sometimes a "humbling" game can be a good thing in the long run... the fact that the boys came back with a decisive win the next game out... leaves me with no major concerns

22 hours ago, Colin Unger said:

https://www.cfl.ca/2022/09/30/dalton-schoen-makes-bomber-history-with-11th-td-reception/

Id like to see where Scheon ranks on this lists when compared only to true rookies such as himself. Players like Tuttle and Dave Williams would not qualify as a rookie in today's CFL since they had dressed in NFL games prior. 

To me the best part of Schoen's success is the attention it is creating down south. I was at a conference in Texas last month and met a guy from Kansas, knows Schoen's parents. Everyone in town is getting together to watch the games. When he found out I was from Winnipeg all he wanted to talk about was the Bombers, never mind any of the business that was actually why we were in Austin.

1 minute ago, GCJenks said:

To me the best part of Schoen's success is the attention it is creating down south. I was at a conference in Texas last month and met a guy from Kansas, knows Schoen's parents. Everyone in town is getting together to watch the games. When he found out I was from Winnipeg all he wanted to talk about was the Bombers, never mind any of the business that was actually why we were in Austin.

spreading the word u lil ambassador u haha

19 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

As Noeller said, Duke has not been elite since his NFL return, Evans hasn't played up to his 2019 level since and Moore is a meh.

An elite trio would be Schoen, Demski, Ellingston.

Agree with this and most comments on the Rider trio. KSB is solid and if made the feature guy might become elite. Evans needs to stay healthy to get back to star potential, not sure if he’ll get back there. Williams should be better than he has performed given his size and what his ceiling was, but he is such a head care it gets in the way of everything else, and he has been living off his pre-NFL reputation when in reality he has been way sub-par since he got back. The “Nuke Laloosh” of the CFL (“million dollar hands, ten cent brain” - and frankly million dollar is way too generous, he’s worth a few thousand at peak levels). Moore is to me a lesser version of Clarence Denmark, and again injuries have derailed his progress. With the group as a whole it’s like the total is less than the sum of its parts. 

Not totally sure the current configuration of the Bombers is “elite” right at this moment, but the whole is greater than the sum of its individual parts for sure. Demski and Bailey you’d expect to be pushing 1,000 yards each instead of 500-600 (injuries to Demski do affect that number somewhat) so just looking at that you might think “meh”, but they both step up in clutch situations and do the little things like downfield blocking, getting open for Collaros on broken plays and not quitting, and clearing out routes for others that don’t show up on the stats sheet. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

38 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Agree with this and most comments on the Rider trio. KSB is solid and if made the feature guy might become elite. Evans needs to stay healthy to get back to star potential, not sure if he’ll get back there. Williams should be better than he has performed given his size and what his ceiling was, but he is such a head care it gets in the way of everything else, and he has been living off his pre-NFL reputation when in reality he has been way sub-par since he got back. The “Nuke Laloosh” of the CFL (“million dollar hands, ten cent brain” - and frankly million dollar is way too generous, he’s worth a few thousand at peak levels). Moore is to me a lesser version of Clarence Denmark, and again injuries have derailed his progress. With the group as a whole it’s like the total is less than the sum of its parts. 

Not totally sure the current configuration of the Bombers is “elite” right at this moment, but the whole is greater than the sum of its individual parts for sure. Demski and Bailey you’d expect to be pushing 1,000 yards each instead of 500-600 (injuries to Demski do affect that number somewhat) so just looking at that you might think “meh”, but they both step up in clutch situations and do the little things like downfield blocking, getting open for Collaros on broken plays and not quitting, and clearing out routes for others that don’t show up on the stats sheet. 

Demski's missed 4 games....and if didnt would likely have that 1000 already, or close to it...same could be said with Ellingson...if all 3 had been healthy all yr pretty sure it would be 3 1000 yard receiver's here

Bailey started slow, but wasnt used much tho was clutch when he was....he being targeted more now, and is still clutch....we also have 3 receivers in the top 7 of TD receptions....how is that not elite type status?....and factor in these guys block the hell out of things for the run game and each other, not to mention run the ball too....and when one guy goes down....always someone steps up....they are good...deep...and team first guys...I wouldn't trade or group for any group in the league....we have an elite group here

18 hours ago, Colin Unger said:

For the record I never suggested that each of the 3 were elite. Only that it was an elite trio on paper. I think if you had those three with Zach, our offensive line and our coaching they'd be just fine. 

But they don't have Zach - they have a run first QB.

Instead of wasting resources on deep threats, they should have found team first guys who can run block, draft OL like it's the only position, and maximize what they have, rather than trying to turn Cofaj into something he's not. 

That includes coaching. They bring in Maas who they felt was the best OC as opposed to one who could work with talent they have.

Edited by Jesse
multiple posts

33 minutes ago, Booch said:

Demski's missed 4 games....and if didnt would likely have that 1000 already, or close to it...same could be said with Ellingson...if all 3 had been healthy all yr pretty sure it would be 3 1000 yard receiver's here

Bailey started slow, but wasnt used much tho was clutch when he was....he being targeted more now, and is still clutch....we also have 3 receivers in the top 7 of TD receptions....how is that not elite type status?....and factor in these guys block the hell out of things for the run game and each other, not to mention run the ball too....and when one guy goes down....always someone steps up....they are good...deep...and team first guys...I wouldn't trade or group for any group in the league....we have an elite group here

It’s also worth noting that for the first half or so of our games played we ran more than we do now to much less effect. 
 Less touches for wrs and more demand for deeper passes to make first downs. 

I’m not worried about our starters at wr at all. If we can being back lawler at a reasonable rate in the off season then great. If roadhouse some how isn’t nfl bound fantastic. 
 But If we go into camp next year with a core of demski woli Bailey ellingson gmac bolo and agudosi I’m good with it. Gmac has shown he can be a focal point of the offense or a guy that gets mixed in. Next year I think he will take a huge step forward and be like schoen now. Too good not to give a lot of touches. 

if we lose schoen and ellingson And don’t get lawler I could see us being in the market for a vet wr. But even then more of a low risk high reward move than having to over pay for a star. Collaros develops wrs into stars. 

38 minutes ago, Booch said:

I hear you, but at some point at injuries do need to be taken into account to establish an “elite” status. If the Rider receivers all stayed healthy, they could well have 4 1,000 receivers, but they won’t because they can’t stay on the field. That is part of what keeps them from being “elite”, that they aren’t living up to their best potential.

I love Demski and had him pegged as the MOC at season’s start, but his durability has held him back a bit. I want to see him actually hit the 1,000 mark more than once before I declare him elite. But I am with you that I would not trade our core for pretty much any other team’s (maybe not even for BC’s) because the potential for greater things is sure there.  Not really worth splitting hairs over what is defined as “elite”, we have a great group that is a tremendous overall unit where any one of them can step up when another is being blanketed and possibly neutralized. 

17 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

I hear you, but at some point at injuries do need to be taken into account to establish an “elite” status. If the Rider receivers all stayed healthy, they could well have 4 1,000 receivers, but they won’t because they can’t stay on the field. That is part of what keeps them from being “elite”, that they aren’t living up to their best potential.

I love Demski and had him pegged as the MOC at season’s start, but his durability has held him back a bit. I want to see him actually hit the 1,000 mark more than once before I declare him elite. But I am with you that I would not trade our core for pretty much any other team’s (maybe not even for BC’s) because the potential for greater things is sure there.  Not really worth splitting hairs over what is defined as “elite”, we have a great group that is a tremendous overall unit where any one of them can step up when another is being blanketed and possibly neutralized. 

not in that offense....and not with Faj they wouldnt have....I can maybe see 2 guys in that group get 1000's...thats it...only so many balls to go aroiund....and to have 3 guys with 1000 takes an elite QB and just as elite guys catching it...of which they have nobody who is eleite...Evans and The Doucher maybe in 2019 were elite, but thats 4 yrs ago

21 hours ago, Noeller said:

Just for starters, Duke Williams hasn't been particularly good, let alone "elite", since he came back from the NFL. He's heavy, slow and prone to drops. 

Last year he had some good production in a couple games where they targeted him a dozen times, but he has been below average since then and in other games around then. The guy is slow, fat, and lazy...there I said it. 

2 hours ago, bearpants said:

If someone like Bighill decided to hang em up after this year... either of those two would look nice in blue and gold...

sometimes a "humbling" game can be a good thing in the long run... the fact that the boys came back with a decisive win the next game out... leaves me with no major concerns

Every team loses a game or two a year that they should have won. It is near impossible for a team to go 18 games without laying an egg once in a while. It happens. Sometimes, as a team you lose focus for a few days or you are just plain tired and it catches up. People reading or extrapolating anything from the Hamilton game are overthinking it. The only thing we learned from that game is that the Bombers, just like every other team, need to be focused and energized in order to win. No flaw fatales or chinks in the armor were discovered by Hamilton...our guys just laid and egg and let it snowball for one game.

42 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Last year he had some good production in a couple games where they targeted him a dozen times, but he has been below average since then and in other games around then. The guy is slow, fat, and lazy...there I said it. 

Every team loses a game or two a year that they should have won. It is near impossible for a team to go 18 games without laying an egg once in a while. It happens. Sometimes, as a team you lose focus for a few days or you are just plain tired and it catches up. People reading or extrapolating anything from the Hamilton game are overthinking it. The only thing we learned from that game is that the Bombers, just like every other team, need to be focused and energized in order to win. No flaw fatales or chinks in the armor were discovered by Hamilton...our guys just laid and egg and let it snowball for one game.

last year he got the bulk of his production in one game...140 some yards I believe...and in the WF he got the bulk on that BS catch that wasnt a catch, and the TD only because the field conditions and Taylor skidded out...and BA had to take trepid steps trying to clean up the mess as to not wipe out as well....other than that...he didnt do much of anything other than bring a out of shape body, and cancerous character and a bad influence on the younger players there....and you see it still today as to how many act...as they are following the lead of their "leader'

27 minutes ago, Noeller said:

there was nobody in the same universe as Andrew Harris in 2019 and everyone knows it. 

Obviously, but the trashbag voters decided to Barry Bonds' him. Laugh if you will but Trevor Harris was on pace for over 5000 yards passing and likely 30+ total TD's before his injury. He was averaging over 300 yards passing per game that year through 13 weeks.....Would have been much more deserving over Fajardo's pedestrian stats.

Edited by Bubba Zanetti

5 hours ago, Booch said:

spreading the word u lil ambassador u haha

The conversation was a little strange.

"I hear you are from Winnipeg, are you a football fan? Follow the Bombers at all?" The next night we had a casual Monday Night Tailgate party with a wear your favourite jersey theme. He came up to me and said he was disappointed I wasn't wearing a Schoen jersey. I said " Jefferson is a Texas boy so I thought it would be the best representation". If Schoen re-signs with us for next year I have committed to buying one of his jerseys, will be very excited to part with that $$$.

Apparently Schoen's Dad is quite ingrained in the local business community and everyone is following along.

1 hour ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Obviously, but the trashbag voters decided to Barry Bonds' him. Laugh if you will but Trevor Harris was on pace for over 5000 yards passing and likely 30+ total TD's before his injury. He was averaging over 300 yards passing per game that year through 13 weeks.....Would have been much more deserving over Fajardo's pedestrian stats.

yup...said all along that Harris got jobbed, and the Faj got it cause he was the only QB to play 18 games....so got it by default basically as his accumulation of stats..that yes were nothing special just out produced every other QB.....but was far from the MOP...he was 3rd in passing yards...behind guys with less games...7th in tds thrown in league (4th in West) heck Nichols had more than him in only 9 games...wasnt even the rushing leader for QB's....Strev had more in way less reps...the fact he got the MOP was a joke....but a blessing as it snookered the Riders into going all in on him...haha....and been 2 yrs of awesomeness lol

2 hours ago, Booch said:

Or likely A. Harris if he hadn't been screwed over by the media....Heck who knows what Nichols stats would have been over 18 games....better than the Faj's I am certain...

His name was being mentioned as a dark horse for MOP at the time of his injury. Poor guy was playing the best football of his career and had finally been able to succeed a bit with his long ball.

2 hours ago, Booch said:

Or likely A. Harris if he hadn't been screwed over by the media....Heck who knows what Nichols stats would have been over 18 games....better than the Faj's I am certain...

Andrew Harris was by far and away the MOP in the CFL in 2019. A healthy Harris may have given him a run for his money. Fajardo was not even in the same realm of play as those two guys.