2022 CFL Season - Back 2 Back Champs News

JCon

4 hours ago, Jesse said:

Do you place no value on playing for 10 straight weeks, mostly on the road, sometimes on short rest and practicing once per week?

Because if you're just looking at the opponents in a vacuum, you're missing quite a bit of the equation.

EDIT:

Also, looking at the schedule, what’s harder about the second half?

We played Cal twice and BC once.

Now we play BC twice and Cal once.

The last two weeks of the season games against bc will also likely be back ups vs back ups. Bc is two games back with 10 games and only 1 buy left. Calgary is 2 games back of them with 10 games and 1 buy. 
 3 wins and the right couple of loses probably locks up the west. We take atleast one from ssk one from bc and the game vs edm. 

man, even at 9-1 bye weeks are miserable.

while we're talking about controversial topics, here's some news from Spokane about Matt Nichols' life after football.  He mentions wanting to sign a one-day contract to retire as a Bomber but it didn't work out.

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2022/aug/15/ex-eastern-washington-qb-matt-nichols-quietly-step/

I think that the org should honor Nichols -- he's definitely not ring of honor material but he was instrumental in turning around the program and I don't think we are a Grey Cup team without the wins and growing pains of 2016 - 2018.

Edited by johnzo

7 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

The last two weeks of the season games against bc will also likely be back ups vs back ups. Bc is two games back with 10 games and only 1 buy left. Calgary is 2 games back of them with 10 games and 1 buy. 
 3 wins and the right couple of loses probably locks up the west. We take atleast one from ssk one from bc and the game vs edm. 

not necessarily... If BC is within one game of the Bombers... BC wins both games and clinch first... Bombers win one and clinch

8 minutes ago, johnzo said:

man, even at 9-1 bye weeks are miserable.

while we're talking about controversial topics, here's some news from Spokane about Matt Nichols' life after football.  He mentions wanting to sign a one-day contract to retire as a Bomber but it didn't work out.

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2022/aug/15/ex-eastern-washington-qb-matt-nichols-quietly-step/

I think that the org should honor Nichols -- he's definitely not ring of honor material but he was instrumental in turning around the program and I don't think we are a Grey Cup team without the wins and growing pains of 2016 - 2018.

Read this as well, and couldn't agree more.

He was such a big factor in the turn around- I'm not sure the rationale for not resigning him for one day when he requested it. He didn't leave on bad terms with the team.

Bombers- make it happen!

20 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I don't believe this for a second. 

Gonna be a battle for top spot, imo.

The question is: Is it easier to play 10 straight weeks, 3 of them against +.500 teams or is it easier to play 8 games, with 2 byes, 6 of them against +.500 teams or are they equally hard/easy?

If things keep up as they have so far, the last 2 BC games will go a long way to deciding who is first thru third.

1 minute ago, TBURGESS said:

The question is: Is it easier to play 10 straight weeks, 3 of them against +.500 teams or is it easier to play 8 games, with 2 byes, 6 of them against +.500 teams or are they equally hard/easy?

If things keep up as they have so far, the last 2 BC games will go a long way to deciding who is first thru third.

the answer is, this is not an apples to apples comparison.

6 minutes ago, itchy said:

Read this as well, and couldn't agree more.

He was such a big factor in the turn around- I'm not sure the rationale for not resigning him for one day when he requested it. He didn't leave on bad terms with the team.

Bombers- make it happen!

Could be they have to make room on their calendar, every game now seems to be dedicated to something or other.  It would be nice to retire Matt on the day of the W.F., assuming it's a home game.

19 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Good news! If we sweep Sask, they will be sub-.500 and both halves will be the same! 😏

Joking aside, I kind of agree with you. The quality of competition is better in the second half. I am predicting a 13-5 final record, but don't tell anyone.

27 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Fact: I read the above in a Dwight Shrute voice. It's perfect.

I do wonder though... what games are the Lions going to lose? Strong possibility they may only lose one or two games... If the road goes through BC- I think our chances to 3peat just got crazy slimmer...

33 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Calgary is 4 games back in the win column and has lost the season series. Let's say Winnipeg goes 4-4, do you see the Stamps going 9-1?

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

how'd that work out when the roles were reversed last time? Not saying you're wrong, just saying I don't put as much stock into that scenario necessarily being to our benefit...

oh just putting a positive spin on things....Granted we've come out of short weeks and 'bagged' alright BUT hey we're talking Cal. here.....not us....But hey feel free to put your dough on Bo.....😉

34 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

The question is if BC sweeps the riders back to back and they fall to 5-6 are they still a tough match up or do they then suck? You want to talk about a team with a tough 2nd half look no further than Saskatchewan.  They're going to be seeing an awful lot of bc, winnipeg and calgary from here on out.

You put entirely too much emphasis in meaningless things such are in season records. There are 3 teams worth a damn in the cfl so far based in performance,  not record and they are winnipeg,  bc and calgary.  We played and beat those teams 3 times in a 10 week condensed no break schedule. We get to play them 3 times in the more rest time back half of the schedule.

Regardless of record I see Sask being a tough opponent for our team.

Their pass rush is great, they have two great backs.  If they gameplan for us well it'll be a tough game.  If we're going with the formula of our offense scoring 2 TD's but turning the ball over as many times or more it's going to get harder and harder to win games.  Offense needs to be a lot better.

23 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Regardless of record I see Sask being a tough opponent for our team.

Their pass rush is great, they have two great backs.  If they gameplan for us well it'll be a tough game.  If we're going with the formula of our offense scoring 2 TD's but turning the ball over as many times or more it's going to get harder and harder to win games.  Offense needs to be a lot better.

The formulas for sask is simple: offense don't **** up and maybe get a few plays and win through D and special teams. 

I think though that our D can force mistakes from their O more easily than they will get mistakes from us. 

I mean when you play the tight game a couple plays swing it so losses can always happen but I just don't see their offense being able to generate enough consistently.

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

And as you have been told, pretty much everyone thinks the second half will be easier.

2 hours ago, bearpants said:

not necessarily... If BC is within one game of the Bombers... BC wins both games and clinch first... Bombers win one and clinch

They are not at all likely to be in that situation. That’d be a maybe once in 50 year occurrence. It’s most likely the first game has implications for bc for home field and the last has none for any one. 

2 hours ago, Jesse said:

I don't believe this for a second. 

Gonna be a battle for top spot, imo.

Not for long. West final is very very seldom up for grabs in the last two weeks of the year. 

2 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

Only three teams are more than 1 game above 500 and two two games or more above 500. One of them is the bombers. You’re drastically over valuing 500. The middle tier of the league is very close to the bottom segment. Out side of the top three and edm the difference is negligible at best. 

if things keep up as is the west will be decided with a month to go again. 

2 hours ago, wbbfan said:

West final is very very seldom up for grabs in the last two weeks of the year. 

Actually, it is more often than it is not. 60% of the time in the last 20 years first place has been decided in the last or second last week of the season. 

4 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

Calgary is 4 games back in the win column and has lost the season series. Let's say Winnipeg goes 4-4, do you see the Stamps going 9-1?

It is better to measure the loss column in determine how far back a team is. BC has 2 games in hand on Winnipeg and is tied in the loss column. Calgary is two losses behind with two games in hand. Now, you do have to win the games in hand, but Winnipeg’s lead isn’t as huge as the current point spread might suggest. Lots of season to go before the West is settled. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever