2022 CFL Season - Back 2 Back Champs News

JCon

3 hours ago, GCn20 said:

Just to play devil's advocate, if Ellingson is in and out of the lineup and misses 50% of the games from here on out, do we still feel awesome about his signing? I love what he's done so far, but when you are signing a player that is getting up there you need to also get value out of his contract from being on the field. Look at Nick Moore as an example. Guy was an elite receiver but no one shed a tear when he left because he was in the tub more than he was on the field. I'm not saying that's going to happen with Ellingson, but at what point do we become concerned about the amount of time he is missing? Just an honest question, not passing judgement on the guy. I love what he has done so far. Just saying that if we found out tomorrow he is done for the year, how does everyone here feel about potentially bringing him back next year for the same contract?

Won't really be able to answer this until the season is done. IF he only plays 50% of the games but puts up the numbers he has been, I see that as a win. But like I said there is still way to much football left to answer this question one way or the other.

2 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

You're belittling the reality that many players do amass chronic injuries during their careers and the longer they play the worse they get and the more they become an obstacle to overcome.  Neufeld is a good example, he's been wearing some kind of bracing on his right arm almost his entire career, it delayed him starting for the Bombers for almost 2 years and has put him on the  I.R. numerous times, including missing practices often on a weekly basis.  He does not often let this chronic injury effect his game play, but it could eventually be the factor that ends his football career earlier than anticipated.

Not belittling anyone or anything.  The premise of the intial question was if Ellington was hurt for the rest of the season do we still feel good about his signing.  To me, that's a dumb question on several levels (devil's advocate or not) because ANYONE can have a season (or career) ending injury at any time.  So if one is worried about that, why celebrate anyone's signing, ever.  

1 hour ago, Bigblue204 said:

Won't really be able to answer this until the season is done. IF he only plays 50% of the games but puts up the numbers he has been, I see that as a win. But like I said there is still way to much football left to answer this question one way or the other.

Unsure how much we are paying Ellingson. Maybe from a pure contract to production standpoint it isn't great. But we are 8-0. I wonder how much more we'd be playing him if there was any worry of us missing playoffs. From my perspective the signing has worked out as he has had tremendous impact on the game he has been in. If he is healthy for the western final and Grey Cup and we win then k don't think anyone will be criticizing.

He’s worth every penny. Injuries happen, he has exceptional chemistry with Collaros and people are already forgetting the impact he’s made. 11 catches for a 152 yards and two touchdowns in his last start, being one of the leading receivers in the league and really our most consistent guy on offense, especially early on in the season before our offense really found its groove, it’s not inconceivable to say without some of his big catches earlier in the year we could have lost a few of those close games to start the season. 

47 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

He’s worth every penny. Injuries happen, he has exceptional chemistry with Collaros and people are already forgetting the impact he’s made. 11 catches for a 152 yards and two touchdowns in his last start, being one of the leading receivers in the league and really our most consistent guy on offense, especially early on in the season before our offense really found its groove, it’s not inconceivable to say without some of his big catches earlier in the year we could have lost a few of those close games to start the season. 

Yup - There is a good chance we lose 2 or 3 games earlier in the season without Ellingson.   

He's currently 4th in the league for yards and TD's and still our leading receiver w.r.t. total passes caught.  Probably one of the league leaders in 2nd down conversions as well.   Schoen is only barely ahead of Ellingson with two more games played.

I'm hard pressed to see a scenario where he ends up being a disappointing signing where I think we overpaid unless he somehow sits on the 1-game for the next 13 games (which would really be more of a knock on whomever was managing his injury not 6-gaming him)

44 minutes ago, MrFreakzilla said:

Nobody is crying about Jeffcoat missing so many games.

If he only played in 50% of the games would I want to sign him for next season.....yes 100% yes

Injuries are the cost of doing business in a brutal sport with huge expectations of superior performance. 

Any surprise players you see making the final roster? I think Wilkerson definitely deserves a shot on the 53-man roster. - @KSRealmKyle

Wilkerson has a battle on his hands with Tre Nixon also fighting for a roster spot at wide receiver, and I'd currently give a slight edge to Nixon, who is trying to carve out a special teams role as well. Regarding surprises, I've liked what we've seen from undrafted rookie LaBryan Ray through five practices. We've only seen one padded practice, but Ray found his way into the backfield a few times, and he looks like a sturdy early-down option against the run. Sixth-round pick Sam Roberts has also popped with an explosive first step and good pad level. I also thought former CFL All-Star Drew Desjarlais held his own at guard in the first padded practice, and vet Ty Montgomery is trending towards roster lock.

STUD: DT Christian Barmore

The second-year defensive tackle loved the ability to hit today, being a monster on the defensive side of the ball. During one-on-one drills against the offensive line, Barmoreracked up three wins against rookie Cole Strange, Drew Desjarlais and Kody Russey. A big jump in his second year year could spell an end to the Patriots[ run-defense woes.

https://www.patspulpit.com/platform/amp/2022/7/28/23282617/patriots-roster-analysis-drew-desjarlais-2022-nfl-season

The king shots 

Jonathan Kongbo: He has bounced in and out of the NFL and CFL throughout his professional career, but will now get a chance to prove himself with the Denver Broncos this summer.

This feels like a classic summer depth addition. He has bounced around the NFL and CFL and really hasn’t dominated at either level and is now at the bottom of the depth chart here with the Broncos. Realistically, he is pushing for a practice squad spot.

https://www.milehighreport.com/platform/amp/2022/6/26/23179239/broncos-roster-jonathan-kongbo

https://predominantlyorange.com/2022/07/27/4-potential-best-kept-secrets-broncos/amp/2/

Finding Talent from the CFL

I can always tell when a player is having a good camp because I will get an abnormal number of questions about them. That’s what I’m getting this year with defensive end Jonathan Kongbo. He’s wearing No.90 for those watching camp at UC Health Training Center and he looks good for a reserve player on a deep part of the Broncos roster. 

Kongbo comes from the Canadian Football League. Undrafted out of Tennessee in 2019, Kongbo was selected by the Winnipeg Blue Bombers in the fifth round of the CFL draft. He played for the Blue Bombers that year and spent some time battling injuries but was part of the team that won the Grey Cup (the CFL’s Super Bowl) that year. 

In 2020, Kongbo was released as part of a predetermined agreement to pursue his dream of playing in the NFL, and the San Francisco 49ers gave him a futures contract. He made it through training camp with the 49ers but was waived with an injury settlement at the start of the regular season. Sitting out some time to get healthy, Kongbo then re-signed with the Blue Bombers of the CFL and won another Grey Cup after the 2021 season. 

After that, the Broncos decided to give him a shot on a futures contract. I like his length and hustle at the defensive end position. Kongbo has long arms to control his man, and that length helps him make up ground when he’s getting after the passer. Kongbo plays with good power, and I know he’s turning heads on the field because fans are constantly asking me questions about him. 

It is going to be a long shot for him to make the 53-man roster. But if he keeps up this performance through the rest of camp and the preseason, I could see the Broncos finding a spot on the practice squad for Kongbo.

I think it’s likely that desjarlais starts the year on the pats pr and that kongbo ends up on another teams pr. The Broncos are deep with young rush end talent but a guy like him having a good camp will be targeted quickly on the waiver wire by other teams. 

a few pages back here or somewere else the old, ugly ass 1996 jerseys and helmets came up. to this day I still have no idea what the hell the Bombers were thinking. The royal blues and gold are the nicest football uniforms in football, and among all sports. I can see the lightning bolt, that'd be nice maybe to add to the existing logo. 96 was pretty special for me though, I had season tickets as a 16 year old. I still remember the K.... D... WILLIAMS! when he got a tackle or sack.

Edited by White Out

29 minutes ago, White Out said:

a few pages back here or somewere else the old, ugly ass 1996 jerseys and helmets came up. to this day I still have no idea what the hell the Bombers were thinking. The royal blues and gold are the nicest football uniforms in football, and among all sports. I can see the lightning bolt, that'd be nice maybe to add to the existing logo. 96 was pretty special for me though, I had season tickets as a 16 year old. I still remember the K.... D... LANG! when he got a tackle or sack.

I recall the story being that the royal blue colour was no longer manufactured so they went darker. Seems ridiculous but that is the explanation they went with. 

And it was KD Williams. Gold teeth as opposed to gold records (no harm, no foul, though). 

54 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

I recall the story being that the royal blue colour was no longer manufactured so they went darker. Seems ridiculous but that is the explanation they went with. 

And it was KD Williams. Gold teeth as opposed to gold records (no harm, no foul, though). 

ugh bro thats auto correct

I sure as heck remember KD Williams lol

God. the shame