2022 CFL Season - Back 2 Back Champs News

JCon

So how does everyone feel about the team after two games? It's really hard to judge considering we've played the same team twice.

We certainly don't look as dominant as last year. But we are still the champs and we still have that belief that we'll win every game. I think that helps us.

But to me everything looks a bit out of whack.

O-line is not great.

Receivers we have Ellingson who is providing a tremendous impact on the game. Schoen has been a great surprise but other than that I'm not blown away.

Running backs are not giving us as much as Harris these passed few years.

D line certainly looks better with Jeffcoat in there. They should be fine. Especially with Hansen coming back. Sayles looks like he's improved on run D.

Linebackers are great.

Secondary looks okay. Richie Hall likes to scheme to make teams drive the field. Missing Alexander obviously.

Special teams look fine.

11 minutes ago, BBlink said:

So how does everyone feel about the team after two games? It's really hard to judge considering we've played the same team twice.

We certainly don't look as dominant as last year. But we are still the champs and we still have that belief that we'll win every game. I think that helps us.

O-line is not great.

Receivers we have Ellingson who is providing a tremendous impact on the game. Schoen has been a great surprise but other than that I'm not blown away.

D line certainly looks better with Jeffcoat in there. They should be fine. Especially with Hansen coming back. Sayles looks like he's improved on run D.

Linebackers are great.

Secondary looks okay. Richie Hall likes to scheme to make teams drive the field. Missing Alexander obviously.

Special teams look fine.

Jock Climie would call them “the worst 2-0 team out there right now”. But this team is going to be judged on what it does in November, not now. As long as they bank wins and position themselves well for the playoffs, there is enough experience and talent to improve on stuff so no real concern yet. Remember last year’s start where we beat Hamilton but our secondary looked shaky, beat Toronto but their run game dominated us, we lost somewhat convincingly in Toronto, and but for an offside allowing a do-over on the winning field goal, and a just missed last second FG attempt from the usually reliable Paredes would have lost at home to Calgary. Then some cream puff games against Edmonton. It wasn’t until BC that we looked like the monster that the team became. So unless the “Grey Cup hangover” complacency last for another 4 weeks and we start losing games due to carelessness and don’t bounce back in anger, I see it as just a blip. I’ll check in again if I feel a trend is developing. 

Being a two-time defending champion does allow for some calm perspective and peace of mind during the turbulence that other teams can’t afford. 

Yeah we started slow last yr and were all questioning certain aspects...and we corrected...i expect the same...and really right now just seems to be a flow/sync issue...not lack of talent.

History as well shows Masoli always gives us issues...why...who knows but we won't have to worry about that now until playoffs

And not sure what Bucks grand plan is on offence...but they haven't involved Bailey and Demski at all..and have done next to no misdirection and creative play calling...yet...

Even the defense seems more vanilla than normal..and we playing off recievers a lot...I'm sure there a reason for it...

I think we need to start looking at kickers and running backs.  Maybe figure out a way to get McCrae on the roster as a DI.  Thinking we can pretty easily drop one of the American backup LB's or DE's with Hansen back.  Eventually this spot might go to a placekicker but maybe next week it can be McCrae.

Shocked kicker hasn't been more of a priority back to the off-season.  Fine with Liegghio's punting but we need a reliable place kicker.  Mourtada isn't a professional football player.

9 minutes ago, Booch said:

History as well shows Masoli always gives us issues...why...who knows but we won't have to worry about that now until playoffs

Yeah Masoli seems to really like to play against us for whatever reason. Probably because of how we scheme to get pressure on the QB and have them drive the long field. Masoli is pretty good at evading pressure and moving the pocket.

9 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

I think we need to start looking at kickers and running backs.  Maybe figure out a way to get McCrae on the roster as a DI.  Thinking we can pretty easily drop one of the American backup LB's or DE's with Hansen back.  Eventually this spot might go to a placekicker but maybe next week it can be McCrae.

Shocked kicker hasn't been more of a priority back to the off-season.  Fine with Liegghio's punting but we need a reliable place kicker.  Mourtada isn't a professional football player.

I could see us try to get McCrae in as well. Maybe run some sets with 3 canadian receivers. You'd still have Ellingson out there who is a threat to catch the ball on any play. I think a lot of our offense is going to run through Ellingson this year. Hopefully he can stay healthy.

1 hour ago, Booch said:

This is huge...he is impactfull on teams and defence

And he’s a serious energy guy. He sets a high tone every game. 

im super happy he’s back. It’ll be interesting to see how the roster shakes down now. Mauro was really good and is good on teams too. And so is clements. 
 I hope all three can be on the roster and have  wilcotts Come off. But mack had a good game too. 

6 minutes ago, BBlink said:

You'd still have Ellingson out there who is a threat to catch the ball on any play. I think a lot of our offense is going to run through Ellingson this year. Hopefully he can stay healthy.

Ditto. I’ve become a fan. He’s very productive. 

1 hour ago, Booch said:

This is huge...he is impactfull on teams and defence

I’m on the hook for three weeks worth of bratwurst and hot soup. 

45 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

They will have to wait to see how the O-line shakes down before messing with the ratio elsewhere, sounds like Hardrick was limping around by the end of the game.

1 hour ago, BBlink said:

O-line is not great.

Linebackers are great.

Special teams look fine.

Overall, I feel great when keeping things I'm context. I think the obvious points of concern are running back and left guard. Hopefully Dobson factors in soon. 

I'm not concerned about safety because BA is coming back soon. Hopefully that helps Rose as well but at the same time I'd hope Rose is on thin ice by now.

I'm loving our front 7. No concerns there whatsoever.

Legs....seems better than last year but still has lots of room to grow. As frustrating as the issues are, I hope we don't cut bait too soon. I'd hate to see a repeat of what happened with Lirim (yes I know we added Money Medlock later on) by cutting a Canadian too early and watching him flourish elsewhere.

If we were to try an import back on some plays we dont need to play with ratio a and put 3 Canadian recievers in...we start 8 as it is...6 on offence designated at start of game as "starters" and only 1 on defense...so we just need to say 5 on offence and 2 on defence...simple as that

Also highly doubt Rose is on thin ice...save for the Adams catch which was a pin point toss...which he still even almost got hand in...he kept everything in front of him...and made plays on the catch...can't fault a db for that and based on the scheme we looked to be employing he did just fine...how many passing tds did we give up...and tds total? Oh yeah...none...and 1 in 2 games..

2 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

But for an offside allowing a do-over on the winning field goal, and a just missed last second FG attempt from the usually reliable Paredes would have lost at home to Calgary. 

That's a great point about the Calgary game. 9 times out of 10, that would've been a loss.

34 minutes ago, Booch said:

If we were to try an import back on some plays we dont need to play with ratio a and put 3 Canadian recievers in...we start 8 as it is...6 on offence designated at start of game as "starters" and only 1 on defense...so we just need to say 5 on offence and 2 on defence...simple as that

Also highly doubt Rose is on thin ice...save for the Adams catch which was a pin point toss...which he still even almost got hand in...he kept everything in front of him...and made plays on the catch...can't fault a db for that and based on the scheme we looked to be employing he did just fine...how many passing tds did we give up...and tds total? Oh yeah...none...and 1 in 2 games..

Not now. I'm just imagining a time when BA is back. We would then be down to 7 starting Canadians likely

Hopefully our injuries in that last game weren't too bad...Couture is a hand/arm issue I think...non snapping but worried about Hardwick...to me I think he may have had a knee tweak...didn't like how and where he grabbed himself when it happened

Hopefully it's a minor non issue thing but I a bit worried on that one

15 minutes ago, Booch said:

Hopefully our injuries in that last game weren't too bad...Couture is a hand/arm issue I think...non snapping but worried about Hardwick...to me I think he may have had a knee tweak...didn't like how and where he grabbed himself when it happened

Hopefully it's a minor non issue thing but I a bit worried on that one

I didn’t even notice Hardrick go down…that would suck big time.

30 minutes ago, Jesse said:

I didn’t even notice Hardrick go down…that would suck big time.

He didn't go down ...but I saw the tweek and grab and then his limping to close out game...happens on the first Augustine run before..or after the roughing the kicker...last 3 mins or so of game if u have it pvr'd

6 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Why are we bringing in another RB when we barely use the ones we have? Pouring rain for what 3 drives? Zero run plays....zero....thats lapo level of over thinking it. RUN THE ******* BALL!!!! 

who we bring in?