The Golf Thread

1 hour ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Let's start off this thread with a Canuck win...

She's fantastic... Love BH. High hopes for Hadwin, Connor and others to break through on the men's side soon. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

What exactly is the issue with the LIV Tour? I hear the noise about the human rights violations in Saudi Arabia, so it’s a good talking point for the PGA, but they themselves have 27 major sponsors who do $40 billion in business with the Saudis, have tournaments sponsored by banks with some shady business dealings (Deutsche Bank and Wells-Fargo come to mind), and they sanction the PGA China tour in a country with its own highly questionable human rights record. So is this a legitimate concern or just hypocrisy from the big boy on the block not wanting another group to cut into their monopoly? Opinions from those more in the know than me, please. 

27 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

What exactly is the issue with the LIV Tour? I hear the noise about the human rights violations in Saudi Arabia, so it’s a good talking point for the PGA, but they themselves have 27 major sponsors who do $40 billion in business with the Saudis, have tournaments sponsored by banks with some shady business dealings (Deutsche Bank and Wells-Fargo come to mind), and they sanction the PGA China tour in a country with its own highly questionable human rights record. So is this a legitimate concern or just hypocrisy from the big boy on the block not wanting another group to cut into their monopoly? Opinions from those more in the know than me, please. 

It's the 2nd one 

57 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

It's the PGA screaming and kicking and trying to brainwash the uneducated into thinking LIV is bad and PGA is good.      

I don't think any professional sports has spotless hands and that doesn't receive any sort of financial boost from dealing with countries with serious issues with human rights.    

In the PGA, you have to earn the money by winning. On LIV, you are paid to play and nobody earns anything for winning. It's ridiculous. 

And then there's the evil blood money. 

PGA aren't saints but they are compared to LIV. 

**** the LIV tour all the way around. 

3 hours ago, Noeller said:

In the PGA, you have to earn the money by winning. On LIV, you are paid to play and nobody earns anything for winning. It's ridiculous. 

PGA aren't saints but they are compared to LIV.  **** the LIV tour all the way around. 

Smells like Donald Trump is in there somewhere. 

6 hours ago, Noeller said:

PGA aren't saints but they are compared to LIV. 

**** the LIV tour all the way around. 

Man imagine a professional sports league paying players even if they don't win?  Oh my god !!!!!     

2 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Boxing / MMA / Darts / Pool / Tennis / Golf   ,  the winners get paid a higher amount but the losers also get paid.    Wasn't getting paid even for losing the main plot of Happy Gilmore :D 

Every golfer gets paid. But, you don't make bank unless you play well. 

That's the same with every other individual sport, including the ones you listed. 

10 minutes ago, JCon said:

Every golfer gets paid. But, you don't make bank unless you play well. 

That's the same with every other individual sport, including the ones you listed. 

So how is that different in LIV?  The better players get paid a higher salaries then the lesser players.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Masters Week!! Stoked to see if any of the Canadians do anything...the really interesting sub-plot is the LIV players that are invited to Augusta vs the PGA players. If you follow the legend, Mr Irving, on Twitter, you know he'll have lots to say about this all week...

What exactly is the beef with LIV? What I understand is that they poached a bunch of PGA players with big cash paydays, and because it’s tied to a Saudi group the source of the money is questionable. Is that it? And is it really that big a deal? Why is the PGA (and Bob Irving) so bent out of shape about this competition?

Evil money given to players before they "Compete"....... you don't win money for where you finish. You get money up front, and basically just play the tournament for fun. It's an evil organization full of money-hungry, don't-want-to-work-for-it players. As always, I'm with Bob....