2022 CFL Season - Non Back 2 Back Champs News

Noeller

On 2022-09-21 at 2:59 PM, do or die said:

To be honest..........Craig Dickenson is correct.

He sure is. But it’s one thing to say it in the confines of the locker room. It’s totally absurd to say it to the media. This is what separates the good coaches from the bad. Surprised he wasn’t let go over the bye week. GC year or not I think a change up now would spark more of a turn around then staying status quo and your players knowing your coach thinks you suck lol. 

1 hour ago, Bomber_fanaddict said:

He sure is. But it’s one thing to say it in the confines of the locker room. It’s totally absurd to say it to the media. This is what separates the good coaches from the bad. Surprised he wasn’t let go over the bye week. GC year or not I think a change up now would spark more of a turn around then staying status quo and your players knowing your coach thinks you suck lol. 

He's lost his team. That I'm pretty sure of. 

19 hours ago, Goalie said:

Not shocking.  Not really a need  more of a luxury 

I'm not even thinking of this year but also going forward .. no guarantee Jeffcoat comes back for another season after this and we have to start planning for the gradual turnover of our core players.  Bring people in.  Immerse them in the team culture while we have those leaders here.

So, random Twitter thread from former OB.com poster Rob Dalton, asking what fans think is their team's best trade of all time......and this LOLK's fan says: 

......I can't wrap my head around someone thinking the deal wasn't rigged in favour of the Arblows (it was...you'll never convince me otherwise) never mind SOMEONE THINKING THE LOLK'S WON THE DEAL!!!!!!!! 

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

......I can't wrap my head around someone thinking the deal wasn't rigged in favour of the Arblows (it was...you'll never convince me otherwise) never mind SOMEONE THINKING THE LOLK'S WON THE DEAL!!!!!!!! 

It gets crazier the more I think of it. Grant was a good punter most of the time as I recall... but EDM didn't actually 'receive' Jabar Westerman, they received (and then traded away) the 1st round pick that eventually became 2nd overall Jabar Westerman. Jyles played half a season that ended with him being demoted to 3rd string behind an ancient Kerry Joseph and youngish Matt Nichols. A crossover to the East saw EDM defeated by none other than eventual GC champion Ricky Ray and his Argos. Ray played another 5 seasons (winning another GC along the way) before retiring a CFL legend and first ballot HoFer.

In what universe is that a good deal for EDM?

Elks delusion aside, that is a good question. What is the best trade for each franchise? Bombers first - a top 5 come to mind:

5. Matt Nichols for a 7th round conditional pick - team was a dumpster fire and he brought them back to contender status and ultimately a Grey Cup (albeit with him injured). And given the price this was an absolute steal. One of the two big trades (Pat Neufeld for Alex Hall being the other) that transformed the club. 
4. Khari Jones, Moe Eliwonibi, and a draft pick for Chris Perez and a draft pick (two simultaneous trades) - Jones was the thrown-in part of the deal. An MOP, single season franchise records, 2001 Grey Cup appearance and the best QB-receiver combo in history with Stegall. Re-built the team from the depths of the Reinbold era (IMO the worst the franchise has ever been). Had he lasted longer than 4.5 years and won a Cup this would rank higher. 
3. Tom Clements for Dieter Brock - a king’s ransom to get him, but Brock was not going to play here so this was a “how do we salvage something” move, and was pretty amazing considering the quality of QB we got back given our hand was forced. And then it turns out we got the better QB going forward. And an MOP award, and a Grey Cup. 
2. Doug Brown - a first and third round pick for rights to a guy who might never have signed was a bit pricy if it didn’t pan out, but because it did this is a massive steal of a trade for one of the greatest Canadian defensive players ever. The backbone of the team for a decade. 
1. Zach Collaros for a second round pick (turned into a first when he re-signed). Two Grey Cups (and front runners for a third), an MOP award (and front runner for a second), 29-3 in meaningful games since he got here. Yeah, I’d say this is the biggest steal in Bomber history. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

10 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

2. Doug Brown - a first and third round pick for rights to a guy who might never have signed was a bit pricy if it didn’t pan out, but because it did this is a massive steal of a trade for one of the greatest Canadian defensive players ever. The backbone of the team for a decade. 

and we ended up getting the 1st rounder (Jon Oosterhuis) back!! 

10 minutes ago, Tracker said:

He could be as successful as Keith Gretzky!

That’s the risk! 

Im sure he’ll be drafted high on name and pedigree. He does look like he has the tools - I’ve heard Canadian media (Arash probably?) say he’s not as athletic as Nathan.

6 minutes ago, Tracker said:

OK- I checked and ho one else has posted this: Looks promising but still not a nose tackle. 6'5" and 311 lbs. 

Liam Fornadel Signs with CFL's Winnipeg Blue Bombers - James Madison University Athletics

Not this article specifically but the signing was mentioned in the roster moves thread on Tuesday (along with two other players).

4 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

Easy to miss.  He wasn't really mentioned aside from the original post (a bit surprising given that we can really use some help in the middle of the d-line). 

He does have an impressive resume at the critical position of left tackle, and Mr. Bryant is not getting any younger- maybe succession planning?

1 minute ago, Tracker said:

He does have an impressive resume at the critical position of left tackle, and Mr. Bryant is not getting any younger- maybe succession planning?

100% 

Weve brought in a few tackles now. And I don’t see big Stan coming back next year.

2 hours ago, Jesse said:

100% 

Weve brought in a few tackles now. And I don’t see big Stan coming back next year.

Not 100%. This looks like a depth signing for training camp next season. The guy is a green as grass rookie. He'd be eaten alive by some of the quick & athletic veteran DE's out there. Is that the guy you want protecting Zach Collaros blind side?? The next left tackle to start after Stanley Bryant retires (whenever he does) is starting right now on a CFL team.  

3 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Not 100%. This looks like a depth signing for training camp next season. The guy is a green as grass rookie. He'd be eaten alive by some of the quick & athletic veteran DE's out there. Is that the guy you want protecting Zach Collaros blind side?? The next left tackle to start after Stanley Bryant retires (whenever he does) is starting right now on a CFL team.  

I didn’t say he was our starting LT next year. I acknowledged that he is one of a few tackles we’ve brought in this Year with a clear eye towards the future.

2 hours ago, Jesse said:

I didn’t say he was our starting LT next year. I acknowledged that he is one of a few tackles we’ve brought in this Year with a clear eye towards the future.

He's going to have to be a helluva player to play in Bryant's spot when the time comes. That's why a veteran & successful left tackle from another team is more likely to take over. I don't see his signing as succession planning at all. It's all about free agency.