2022 CFL Season - Non Back 2 Back Champs News

Noeller

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

Hardly. 

From Fajardo's first start to the week before the trade (Weeks 2-7; incl. 1 bye):

- 76% completion (#1) on 9.7 aDOT
- 10.3 YPA (#1; only 2 other guys were over 9),
- 9.3 ANY/A (#1; next was 8.2)
- 125 passer rating not under pressure (#1)
- #2 in TD percentage, 
- 2nd-lowest percentage of yards off short throws

Whether you like him/root for him or not, Fajardo was already at his West MOP level when the trade happened.

1 minute ago, DTonOB said:

From Fajardo's first start to the week before the trade (Weeks 2-7; incl. 1 bye):

- #2 in TD percentage, 

Whether you like him/root for him or not, Fajardo was already at his West MOP level when the trade happened.

Literally the only reason he was the west MOP was because all the other qbs got hurt and some self righteous media types decided to punish Harris for the drug test. The fact he was west MOP is a giant ******* joke. 

Back to the decontamination room for you.

1 hour ago, DTonOB said:

One important thing to remember was that Zach was ready to come back from his injury when the Riders traded him. And with Fajardo flying by that point, we would have been relentless with the "Who's the QB?" "What about that throw? Does that tell you it's time to go back to Zach?" "How can you take a job from a guy because of injury?"
As many have pointed out, the return wasn't great. But I think part of it is that the Riders wanted needed it done quickly.

Especially knowing how Cody and his fragile mind would’ve done with a QB controversy.

The Faj caught teams off-guard to start his tenure....but faded as season went on, and yes only got MOP nod by default as no other QB played moe than 9 games....and yes...cause Harris got screwed over.

It was narrow sited thinking and evaluating by Rider management....not looking back to what he was prior....and why (as he had serious deficiencies) and also not looking forward and weighing all the pro's and con's and possible scenario's...well you get them in the boat they are now....sinking....coupled now with the revelations he is weak mentally, and not a real leader as he has never owned up to anything, has thrown people under the bus and acts like a petulant child at times, well...call that a major fail by Rider management

16 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

In those 5 starts from week 2-7, Fajardo threw for 1326 yards with 7 tds and 4 interceptions. In 5 starts during the same period, Matt Nichols threw for 1227 with 10 tds and 4 interceptions. Winnipeg had a better record too. @DTonOB was Fajardo really playing at a West MOP level?

1 hour ago, rebusrankin said:

In those 5 starts from week 2-7, Fajardo threw for 1326 yards with 7 tds and 4 interceptions. In 5 starts during the same period, Matt Nichols threw for 1227 with 10 tds and 4 interceptions. Winnipeg had a better record too. @DTonOB was Fajardo really playing at a West MOP level?

I would argue we saw the things Fajardo doing were for real, though when they were 3-3 nobody was selling Fajardo was MOP. The following game where he scored the winning TD against Hamilton, that certainly help. Ultimately when the Riders went 13-5 with him leading the league in passing yards and being 7th in rushing yards, it made sense.

For me, the big difference between Fajardo's & Nichols' spots was that I thought the Bombers had better talent on O. And Nichols' style (1/3rd of his passes & 1/4 of yards come on passes within 2 yards of the line of scrimmage that year), requires too much from other players to deserve MOP acclaim.

1 hour ago, Booch said:

It was narrow sited thinking and evaluating by Rider management....not looking back to what he was prior....and why (as he had serious deficiencies) 

Well...Fajardo's prior experience was 68 regular season pass attempts playing behind Ricky Ray and Michael Reilly (while Fajardo was on his first contract). By the time of the Collaros trade, Fajardo had almost double that many attempts in the Sask offence with their personnel and their coordinator, so I get it. Plus, his designed run + scramble game is something very few guys have--I'm sure that potential appealed to them as well.

I don't care what the awards said, Andrew Harris was the Most Outstanding Player in the CFL in 2019, and you will never change my mind. That season, from Game 1 to the Grey Cup, is one of the most dominant seasons for a RB that we'll ever see. He was incredible that year, running, receiving, and blocking. 

15 minutes ago, DTonOB said:

I would argue we saw the things Fajardo doing were for real, though when they were 3-3 nobody was selling Fajardo was MOP. The following game where he scored the winning TD against Hamilton, that certainly help. Ultimately when the Riders went 13-5 with him leading the league in passing yards and being 7th in rushing yards, it made sense.

For me, the big difference between Fajardo's & Nichols' spots was that I thought the Bombers had better talent on O. And Nichols' style (1/3rd of his passes & 1/4 of yards come on passes within 2 yards of the line of scrimmage that year), requires too much from other players to deserve MOP acclaim.

Well...Fajardo's prior experience was 68 regular season pass attempts playing behind Ricky Ray and Michael Reilly (while Fajardo was on his first contract). By the time of the Collaros trade, Fajardo had almost double that many attempts in the Sask offence with their personnel and their coordinator, so I get it. Plus, his designed run + scramble game is something very few guys have--I'm sure that potential appealed to them as well.

Yep…the Maas hiring and attempt to turn Fajardo into a guy who mostly sets up in the pocket and scrambles a bit from a guy who ran more RPO was his downfall.

What we see here,  is why stats lie. Anyone could have looked at faj's game and saw a poor ability to read a D, an over reliance and scrambling on broken plays and a poor, inaccurate arm. 

Those things don't get masked over by mediocre stats in a year when no qb stayed healthy. It's pure rider homerism. 

5 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Yep…the Maas hiring and attempt to turn Fajardo into a guy who mostly sets up in the pocket and scrambles a bit from a guy who ran more RPO was his downfall.

He can’t throw in our out of the pocket 

9 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I don't care what the awards said, Andrew Harris was the Most Outstanding Player in the CFL in 2019, and you will never change my mind. That season, from Game 1 to the Grey Cup, is one of the most dominant seasons for a RB that we'll ever see. He was incredible that year, running, receiving, and blocking. 

Media plays favourites. 

Stanley Bryant was the best OL that year as well. They just didn’t want to give it to him because he just won it. 

Instead they give it to  Van Zeyl as some sort of career recognition award. 

8 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

He can’t throw in our out of the pocket 

Well if you have to defend the chance he might take off or hand it off that takes at least one probably two defenders out of the coverage equation on those plays so he had a far better chance to cut the field in half with 3 receivers and hit one of them in space.

8 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

Media plays favourites. 

Stanley Bryant was the best OL that year as well. They just didn’t want to give it to him because he just won it. 

Instead they give it to  Van Zeyl as some sort of career recognition award. 

Media played God..... judge, jury and executioner for Harris. 

SB getting ****** because national media wanted to give a Lifetime Achievement Award to Van Zeyl is one of all time Schenley travesties.... 

Having said all of that, it all provided extra motivation for a team of underdogs to walk in and absolutely molly-whop the Cats in what turned out to be a (more or less) home game for the Bombers...

13 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Well if you have to defend the chance he might take off or hand it off that takes at least one probably two defenders out of the coverage equation on those plays so he had a far better chance to cut the field in half with 3 receivers and hit one of them in space.

How long does this actually work?

Defences almost always seem to catch up especially if the guy can’t throw.

Gimmicky 

1 hour ago, DTonOB said:

My point was more that even in those games, Fajardo wasn't really playing at an MOP level but I get your point that at the time, he'd had some success, shown some ability with his legs and so the Riders felt they had something. I agree that Harris should have been the MOP in 2019 but that's on the local Winnipeg media and let's face it he got his revenge in the Cup game.

Fact of the matter the Faj sucks...never had been a legit top teir QB who will lead you...never mind lead you to winning the Grey Cup

Harris should have got MOP...got black balled and that ended any chance of that 

Bryant got totally screwed...and it should be embarrassing to the CFL how that bs went down...u know damn well and could see it in the Grey Cup his brothers on defense made sure Canada saw and Bryant himself on offence was just pure excellence...

3 hours ago, Noeller said:

Media played God..... judge, jury and executioner for Harris. 

SB getting ****** because national media wanted to give a Lifetime Achievement Award to Van Zeyl is one of all time Schenley travesties.... 

Having said all of that, it all provided extra motivation for a team of underdogs to walk in and absolutely molly-whop the Cats in what turned out to be a (more or less) home game for the Bombers...

Meh, awards don't bother me, we won the Cup, nothing else matters.  Plus, Harris' moment after we won was made even better because of the hate.  He was hilarious after we won. That on-the-field interview and his game awards speech were instant classics.

It's better for this team to get flak in the media, keeps them fired up, something to prove.  

Edited by basslicker

What amazed me is the Riders could of easily acquired Arbuckle or Trevor Harris and could get Adams again...yet they keep Fajardo who is just awful.

Watching him try to throw a deep ball was as painful as watching Nichols in his last two seasons.

6 hours ago, DTonOB said:

- #2 in TD percentage, 

Let's get something straight, Cody Fajardo was NOT the West MOP at any point that season. Andrew Harris was, and he was screwed by a bunch of media who took it upon themselves to declare they were the moral compass for CFL fans. It was pure hubris on their part, and a gross overstep and breach of faith put in them by Winnipeg fans. Don't forget that if the situation ever rises again...we love you DT but that shitshow lost them a ton of respect with the fan base.

6 hours ago, DTonOB said:

- #2 in TD percentage, 

Like him or not, everyone without green goggles could see his accuracy was poor and that his 50/50 ball % was unsustainable...and he feasted on some really bad teams. When he finally had to play in his own division the Jesus Sprinkles dried up.