2022 CFL Season - Non Back 2 Back Champs News

Noeller

23 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

What’s with 3down lately and posting articles that are basically summaries of Rod Pederson podcast interviews?

21 minutes ago, bearpants said:

What annoys me about this is, why the rhetoric?? Yes, two grey cup wins in a ten year stretch is a good run… but a “new era of dominance”???… reminder to riders fans that BC, Calgary and Montreal also won 2 cups in that time frame… so I wouldn’t exactly consider it “dominance” if nearly half the league accomplished the exact same feat

As has been stated before, 3DownNation is a bunch of fanboys. Other than Olivia Lawrence, there is no mention in any of the author bios that any of them actually went to journalism school. It would seem most of them have some connection to their home team and some sports related background (ex CIS QB, TSN Radio producer or weightlifter) and a bunch who have had their own podcasts. (Lind of like Zach here at MBB, who has now developed his own podcast and written for 3Down). So they borrow from others and re-frame the articles a fair bit, like going to fan pages, reading comments, and turning them into their “Insider info” gossip column. 

If you take it for what it is, a rah rah site that offers an exclusive CFL focus, then it is OK. But if you are expecting professional unbiased journalism, you will be underwhelmed and disappointed. 

3 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

Mike O’Shea was far from a choir boy during his playing days.

That is for certain.

Absolutely this. “Dirty” vs “plays with an edge” is always subjective and most often based on fan allegiance, but O’Shea had quite the rep himself.

https://www.cfl.ca/2007/09/16/o_shea_cfl_s_dirtiest_player_/

6 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Absolutely this. “Dirty” vs “plays with an edge” is always subjective and most often based on fan allegiance, but O’Shea had quite the rep himself.

https://www.cfl.ca/2007/09/16/o_shea_cfl_s_dirtiest_player_/

Much as I hated O' Shea when we played against them, I never saw him spit, kick or punch an opposing player nor did he resort to racist name-calling (although he questioned the sexual appetites of the mothers of some players). Other players soon learned to watch out for him, as he never missed an opportunity to lay a careless player out. 

So I think, just for clarity sake, what we're talking about in this thread is The Trinity wanting to bring in good people. It became public that they were watching how guys behaved around women at the office, how they treated support staff, and things like that. So along the way, before we won in 2019, there came a narrative on this board that we had too many choir boys (good choice of words, MG) and Osh needed to focus less on finding those nice guys, and allow a few more assholes. 

Now we can still debate this point, but as far as I'm concerned, we've brought in a lot of guys that are really genuinely nice people but also very good football players. We don't have guys that are necessarily assholes on or off the field. They play hard nosed between the whistles but rarely (if ever??) after. 

I'd consider Osh's plan a success.... 

Edited by Noeller

18 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

If you take it for what it is, a rah rah site that offers an exclusive CFL focus, then it is OK. But if you are expecting professional unbiased journalism, you will be underwhelmed and disappointed. 

QFT

...and because of the scarcity of credible CFL news, I wonder if there is any of us that don't read it?

38 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Much as I hated O' Shea when we played against them, I never saw him spit, kick or punch an opposing player nor did he resort to racist name-calling (although he questioned the sexual appetites of the mothers of some players). Other players soon learned to watch out for him, as he never missed an opportunity to lay a careless player out. 

Might want to ask a couple guys that were in pile with O’Shea I do believe there are some stories where he would do some things. 

Osh played mean........much like most players of that era...and if he saw a chance to take a guy out within the rules...he took it...was par for the course back then...as for taking liberties in a pile....always happened...generally always will...some of the icest guys you would ever know in the league would do it.....some of the biggest assbags never....is what it is but never was he ever out to blatantly injure a guy with disregard for the team...the play being sucessful or the health of player....thats a whole different ball of wax 

There is a difference between the edge Marino walks and the edge any coach would want you to walk. Football is a tough game, and I want 44 Jackson Jeffcoats, or Drew Desjarlais, on the field. Guys who play on the edge of dirtiness BUT don't cross that line intentionally. Guys like Marino or Lawrence cross that line with regularity and hurt their teams in the process. Every coach wants players who will beat their opponents to a pulp between the whistles, no coach wants d-bags that end up in the media and suspended because of it.

28 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Cates is only being honest, and telling everyone what they should have already known. I think that a lot of Rider fans are starting to realize that Jesus Sprinkles are not enough of a toolbox for a pro QB.

20 minutes ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

Ouch. And the very day Cody reactivates his Internet.

He's probably crying into a microphone somewhere in the big rectangle right now.

16 minutes ago, BBlink said:

Re: our roster 

It is made up of very good guys off the field. They are coached to play within the rules on the field; to play right up to the line. Playing physical. Not taking plays off. Making the other team pay to play.

They aren't saints on the field. They are just coached really well.

And everyone holds everyone accountable! Unlike some other teams.

for rourke admirers, and rourke skeptics

"In the Lions’ 46-14 home thumping of the Edmonton Elks, Rourke completed 34 of 37 passes (91.9 percent) for 477 yards and five touchdowns with no interceptions, and also rushed five times for 25 more yards and a sixth touchdown. Oh, and he did most of that by halftime

But his 91.9 percent completion mark was the third-highest in CFL history (minimum 20 attempts), with the only two above that coming from Hall of Famer Ricky Ray in 2013 and 2008 (and Ray went 19/20 and 23/25 in those games respectively, so he threw far less passes than Rourke did). And his 477 passing yards did beat his own record (436, set in June) for most passing yards by a Canadian QB in a single game."

https://thecomeback.com/international/cfl-qb-nathan-rourke-bc-lions-one-of-most-accurate-performances-ever.html

think he might be a bit slender to be NFL starter. most of their qb, whatever height, are really solid. like wilson, kyler murray. short, but very thick.

but maybe he'll get a shot.

I think the guy is outstanding.

Edited by Mark F

5 minutes ago, Mark F said:

for rourke admirers, and rourke skeptics

"In the Lions’ 46-14 home thumping of the Edmonton Elks, Rourke completed 34 of 37 passes (91.9 percent) for 477 yards and five touchdowns with no interceptions, and also rushed five times for 25 more yards and a sixth touchdown. Oh, and he did most of that by halftime

But his 91.9 percent completion mark was the third-highest in CFL history (minimum 20 attempts), with the only two above that coming from Hall of Famer Ricky Ray in 2013 and 2008 (and Ray went 19/20 and 23/25 in those games respectively, so he threw far less passes than Rourke did). And his 477 passing yards did beat his own record (436, set in June) for most passing yards by a Canadian QB in a single game."

https://thecomeback.com/international/cfl-qb-nathan-rourke-bc-lions-one-of-most-accurate-performances-ever.html

think he might be a bit slender to be NFL starter. most of their qb, whatever height, are really solid. like wilson, kyler murray. short, but very thick.

but maybe he'll get a shot.

I think the guy is outstanding.

One thing I've noticed about Rourke is that he is much stronger than he looks. Rarely gets clobbered. Smaller guys tend to bounce off of him.

2 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

the fact that all of this is just coming out now feels like The Emperor's New Clothes......the fog is lifting and all of a sudden it's "Hey wait a minute.......this guy's actually terrible!" 

Well, no ******* kidding...... career third stringer who can't hit a target past 10 yards? The hell you say.......

10 minutes ago, Noeller said:

the fact that all of this is just coming out now feels like The Emperor's New Clothes......the fog is lifting and all of a sudden it's "Hey wait a minute.......this guy's actually terrible!" 

Well, no ******* kidding...... career third stringer who can't hit a target past 10 yards? The hell you say.......

It’s so obviously the CFL and TSN needed a “star” to market. The last couple of years have been a big transition era in the CFL with older players leaving and new ones coming in, CF was manifested hype all along.