2022 CFL Season - Non Back 2 Back Champs News

Noeller

9 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Tommy this year Orlando next year imo. 

At the start of the year I had a hard time imagining a scenario where Orlando would be at risk - Being about 6 feet from starting 0-5 is pretty shocking.

Still - bringing his team to the grey cup for two years straight and playing the 2021 WBB to the wire like they did should give him a LOT of rope.  If I were a Ti-Cat fan I personally would be disappointed if he got fired after one bad year... even if it was a "worst in the league" year.  

Even with their terrible record to start the year - They've really only been terrible in the last quarter of their losses (notwithstanding against us where we were just consistently better) - Against CGY, EDM and SSK they were either significantly ahead, or less than a single TD behind at the start of the 4th.

30 minutes ago, BomberfanMKS said:

At the start of the year I had a hard time imagining a scenario where Orlando would be at risk - Being about 6 feet from starting 0-5 is pretty shocking.

Still - bringing his team to the grey cup for two years straight and playing the 2021 WBB to the wire like they did should give him a LOT of rope.  If I were a Ti-Cat fan I personally would be disappointed if he got fired after one bad year... even if it was a "worst in the league" year.  

Even with their terrible record to start the year - They've really only been terrible in the last quarter of their losses (notwithstanding against us where we were just consistently better) - Against CGY, EDM and SSK they were either significantly ahead, or less than a single TD behind at the start of the 4th.

Dane Evans looks like an emotional wreck, they need to find a 1B QB to help him carry the load, could be Schiltz given time and more reps.. Too bad Nichols couldn't rehabilitate his arm, the league can always use a couple more "Kevin Glenn types" to help out.

Edited by Fatty Liver

41 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Dane Evans looks like an emotional wreck, they need to find a 1B QB to help him carry the load, could be Schiltz given time and more reps.. Too bad Nichols couldn't rehabilitate his arm, the league can always use a couple more "Kevin Glenn types" to help out.

Help is on the way.

1 hour ago, BomberfanMKS said:

Some times the coach that brings you to the dance isn’t the one to get you over the hump. This cats roster is low on or out of time to compete. He also came into a contender they have to look long and hard at if he’s the guy to rebuild with. 

id only can a coach when I felt like I could get a better one. Idk at this point. Orlando is a real good coach and I’m glad he didn’t end up defecting to the ncaa. Hard to say if he’s the guy to take them all the way or rebuild. 

28 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Some times the coach that brings you to the dance isn’t the one to get you over the hump. This cats roster is low on or out of time to compete. He also came into a contender they have to look long and hard at if he’s the guy to rebuild with. 

id only can a coach when I felt like I could get a better one. Idk at this point. Orlando is a real good coach and I’m glad he didn’t end up defecting to the ncaa. Hard to say if he’s the guy to take them all the way or rebuild. 

yup - Ray Jauch was a good coach but he kept running into the Edmonton juggernaut of the late 70's early 80's.  It was up to Cal Murphy and Mike Riley to bring it home.

2 hours ago, wbbfan said:

I definitely had that concern about Mike O'Shea after 2018 and going into 2019... luckily he proved me wrong... and then some

2 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

yup - Ray Jauch was a good coach but he kept running into the Edmonton juggernaut of the late 70's early 80's.  It was up to Cal Murphy and Mike Riley to bring it home.

And Tom Clements. Hey, I love Dieter Brock but Clements made a very good Bomber team a great one. 

53 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

And Tom Clements. Hey, I love Dieter Brock but Clements made a very good Bomber team a great one. 

And Warren Moon leaving for the NFL also helped. Lots of the time it’s as much about the teams around you declining as it is your team getting over the hump by being better. 

2 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

and yet they won two cups without Tom Clements.

Cal Murphy  reallt built up the defense to the point it carried the team & won 2 more championships. That 88 team couldn't normally score but they found a way to score 21  points that first half in the GC & vs BC. Then let the defense win it in the second half. The 90 team was the best D I ever saw as a Bomber fan until now. 

57 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Just when you think the riders can’t be more of a dumpster fire…

https://3downnation.com/2022/07/18/saskatchewan-roughriders-cancel-tuesday-practice-due-to-covid-outbreak/

So many crider fans on Twitter complaining ..."Why are other teams fans so angry? CFL Twitter is a nightmare!" Or something similar to that. Lol can't take the heat!!!

13 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Cal Murphy  reallt built up the defense to the point it carried the team & won 2 more championships. That 88 team couldn't normally score but they found a way to score 21  points that first half in the GC & vs BC. Then let the defense win it in the second half. The 90 team was the best D I ever saw as a Bomber fan until now. 

yup.  Not taking anything away from Tommy C (that 1984 team is still my favorite of all time) but that D we had back then was unbelievable.

3 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

yup.  Not taking anything away from Tommy C (that 1984 team is still my favorite of all time) but that D we had back then was unbelievable.

Would you say they were similar to the current group?  Able to crank it up a notch when it matters?

I was 14 in 1984 and had season tickets with my Dad that year.

They had a dominant defense in those years. Great linebackers. Top notch db's.

Last years defense was nothing like Ive ever seen. Shut down everyone.  By the third quarter it looked like the opposing offense had already quit.  The body language showed they believed they had no chance.