2022 CFL Season - Non Back 2 Back Champs News

Noeller

30 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

I heard the new owner in bc on the radio last season and he seemed to understand that you need to get asses in seats and was willing to put in the work so hopefully he is successful. If BC was a healthy market that would do wonders for the cfl.

Also helps to give a blueprint to TO and MTL on what they might be able to do with a little effort.

54 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Harris reportedly showed up at camp out of shape & had a bad attitude. Well, that explains (1) the injuries & missed games as well as (2) the mouthing off when he left. What he failed to realize was by criticizing the Bombers, the team is bigger than the man. 

Maybe people don’t always say quite the right thing. How does that happen? 

22 minutes ago, Rod Black said:

Maybe people don’t always say quite the right thing. How does that happen? 

We all do but still he should have known better.  I don't know what all went down during negotiations. I do remember that the Bombers wanted to work him out before signing him to see how he was physically & he refused. I know Walters was unhappy he didn't have an agent as it was getting difficult to negotiate with Harris & he wasn't going to get the money he wanted. Then he left very unhappy & saying so when he did.

Listen, other Blue Bombers in the past left & said things. Some pretty funny & harmless like D i c k Thornton's quip, "The best thing about Winnipeg are the roads leading out of it". As well as Dieter Brock's one liner, "There's nothing to do in Winnipeg but go the the Zoo." I'm sure Gerry James had some choice words as he disliked Bud Grant & the Bombers so much at the time.

A year after the Brock for Clements trade, we had the "Brockbuster Game". Totally sold out. It was the game all the fans had circled on the 1984 schedule. The Saturday Night Dieter Brock came back to the City as a Ti Cat a year after he left. He was mocked & teased by fans to the original Ghostbusters song. A Dee Jay even cut a completely new Ghostbuster song with lyrics using the phrase, "Who ya gonna call? BROCK BUSTERS!!"

Dieter handled the situation very well, even laughing on the sidelines at times. As he was such a good sport about it any animosity the fans may have felt towards him changed & he became a fan favourite again. Maybe he'd have had no relationship with the Bombers ever again if it wasn't for that game as the fans sure had a lot of fun at his expense. I think he did as well even though the Ti Cats lost. 

Other players have been traded & released & kept their feelings to themselves like Don Jonas who was revered at the time he was traded to the Tiger Cats. He was smart enough to keep it inside & not say anything to the media. Everyone is different, though.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

Lions is such good news

"Doman wants to see more young fans at games this season and has worked with BC Place to make concessions more affordable. He indicated that a kids meal including a hot dog, chips, and a drink can now be purchased for $10.

The crowd on Saturday will also be treated to a performance by OneRepublic, whose song “I Ain’t Worried” is climbing the charts after being featured in the hit film Top Gun: Maverick.

“There are so many bands touring right now it’s hard to get an A-list band because everyone’s back out after the COVID thing,” said Doman. “We are so fortunate to get OneRepublic and everybody’s extremely excited about it.”

Doman purchased the Lions in August 2021 and has repeatedly stated his commitment to helping regrow the club’s fanbase."

good article

https://3downnation.com/2022/06/07/lions-could-open-upper-bowl-at-bc-place-due-to-ticket-demand-for-home-opener/

Edited by Mark F

like I mentioned...have a bud in B.C and he said he has never seen so much marketing and the Lions being so visible there....like in 20 yrs....good signs coming from out west....and I not worried about Mtl...they have a good owner there now....they just need to win...they win and it's fashionable to be there again...T.O....who effing cares...move them elsewhere in S. Ontario where they would

6 minutes ago, Booch said:

like I mentioned...have a bud in B.C and he said he has never seen so much marketing and the Lions being so visible there....like in 20 yrs....good signs coming from out west....and I not worried about Mtl...they have a good owner there now....they just need to win...they win and it's fashionable to be there again...T.O....who effing cares...move them elsewhere in S. Ontario where they would

I always thought London or the Kitchener-Waterloo area would work. London has a stadium that could be expanded. 

15 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I always thought London or the Kitchener-Waterloo area would work. London has a stadium that could be expanded. 

That's a really small market and one that doesn't have a large population base around it either. You would get TiCat fans driving in for those games and maybe a few from Windsor. But, you need corporate support and butts in seats, which will be a struggle. 

I would prefer to see them focus on getting Toronto, Montreal and BC going first. If the Atlantic team can get it together, bonus!

B.C. Lions welcome The Breaux Show back to the CFL | Brockville Recorder & Times

A relative got me his book for my birthday.  Reading it now, only because of his time in the CFL.  

On 2022-06-06 at 7:55 PM, Brandon said:

Harris knocked himself out of the "legendary" status IMO with his comments on the way out.   Once he retires and time has passed I don't think people will hold him in the same regards as the all time Bomber greats. 

I disagree.  Dieter Brock was hated when he left Winnipeg but after the years passed everyone got over it and we recognize him now for all the great memories he gave us in a Bomber uni.  Same goes for Harris.  That guy left it out on the field every game.  I love that.

On 2022-06-07 at 2:46 PM, SpeedFlex27 said:

A year after the Brock for Clements trade, we had the "Brockbuster Game". Totally sold out. It was the game all the fans had circled on the 1984 schedule. The Saturday Night Dieter Brock came back to the City as a Ti Cat a year after he left. He was mocked & teased by fans to the original Ghostbusters song. A Dee Jay even cut a completely new Ghostbuster song with lyrics using the phrase, "Who ya gonna call? BROCK BUSTERS!!"

I was at that game.  Every time Tyrone Jones put Dieter on his arse the Brockbusters song would come on.  Tyrone sacked Dieter a lot that game.  We were hoarse by the 4th quarter.

On 2022-06-06 at 8:09 PM, Goalie said:

Harris will always be loved for what he did on the field. I have met some of my heros in life, some hockey heros and some wrestlers I admired growing up and they were all kind of assholes. Taught me that just cuz I admire the player or the character don't mean I have to admire the actual person cuz most of them really are just dicks. Not all were pieces of garbage,  the ones I expected to be weren't and the ones I didn't expect to be kinda were. Human beings eh, some are good some aren't but what they say or do outside the field or ring or rink or court or whatever else, it probably doesn't matter. 

John Cena was one that I expected to be nicer than he was. Maybe he was having a rough day tho. 

I was in St. Vital Earls the day after the BC game in 2019 where Matt Nichols wrecked his shoulder/arm.  I saw Andrew Harris having a drink with some friends and decided to ask him for a photo/selfie.  He didn't hesitate, he immediately said "yes" and that pic has been my background on my computer now for 3 years.  Same goes for Buck Pierce back in the day, when I saw him at Danny's having lunch one day.  Great guys!

On 2022-06-07 at 3:45 PM, Sard said:

Also helps to give a blueprint to TO and MTL on what they might be able to do with a little effort.

No, no. Toronto ownership knows what to do.You switch to NFL rules, join a half assed league that has failed multiple times and the stands will magicly fill and money rains down on you. 

8 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I was in St. Vital Earls the day after the BC game in 2019 where Matt Nichols wrecked his shoulder/arm.  I saw Andrew Harris having a drink with some friends and decided to ask him for a photo/selfie.  He didn't hesitate, he immediately said "yes" and that pic has been my background on my computer now for 3 years.  Same goes for Buck Pierce back in the day, when I saw him at Danny's having lunch one day.  Great guys!

Buck was always great for that.

On 2022-06-08 at 9:41 AM, JCon said:

That's a really small market and one that doesn't have a large population base around it either. You would get TiCat fans driving in for those games and maybe a few from Windsor. But, you need corporate support and butts in seats, which will be a struggle. 

I would prefer to see them focus on getting Toronto, Montreal and BC going first. If the Atlantic team can get it together, bonus!

More people live in Southern Ontario than the entire Maritimes & it isn't chronically depressed financially like the Atlantic Provinces are. London is like Hartford with a lot of insurance companies as well as the computer tech businesses centred there. London has a metropolitan population of 543,000 while the metro population of the Kitchener- Waterloo area is 575,000. In Halifax, with the price of fuel, how many fans from New Brunswick or PEI will drive over 200 miles to watch a game? That pre Covid financial model "to be like the Roughriders" probably won't work anymore. Not that it would have in the first place. I don't understand this need to put a team in Halifax where it is almost guaranteed to fail with such little support from government & business.

2 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

More people live in Southern Ontario than the entire Maritimes & it isn't chronically depressed financially like the Atlantic Provinces are. London is like Hartford with a lot of insurance companies as well as the computer tech businesses centred there. London has a metropolitan population of 543,000 while the metro population of the Kitchener- Waterloo area is 575,000. In Halifax, with the price of fuel, how many fans from New Brunswick or PEI will drive over 200 miles to watch a game? That pre Covid financial model "to be like the Roughriders" probably won't work anymore. Not that it would have in the first place. I don't understand this need to put a team in Halifax where it is almost guaranteed to fail with such little support from government & business.

515,000 and no one else. I have been to London many times. You're not drawing fans from the Hammer or KWL. You will only get Ticat fans for Ticat games. It's over an hour's drive to KWL. 

You're dreaming if you think that London will draw enough people to make it worth it. 

Most of the money in London is tied to the university and research. That's not advertising money. 

2 minutes ago, JCon said:

515,000 and no one else. I have been to London many times. You're not drawing fans from the Hammer or KWL. You will only get Ticat fans for Ticat games. It's over an hour's drive to KWL. 

You're dreaming if you think that London will draw enough people to make it worth it. 

Most of the money in London is tied to the university and research. That's not advertising money. 

Okay fair comments but I used the population numbers from what I saw on the net when I googled both London & KW metro populations separately. Why do you believe Halifax will work in an economically depressed area of Canada in a brutal time zone, thin, spread out population over 3 provinces & a small city (Halifax) that has never had pro football before? With no support from politicians or local business. 

I just believe it's bound to fail. 

9 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Okay fair comments but I used the population numbers from what I saw on the net when I googled both London & KW metro populations separately. Why do you believe Halifax will work in an economically depressed area of Canada in a brutal time zone, thin, spread out population over 3 provinces & a small city (Halifax) that has never had pro football before? With no support from politicians or local business. 

I just believe it's bound to fail. 

I don't believe a team team in Halifax will work (no one is going to build a stadium, simple as that).

Equally unlikely (moreso becasue no one is trying) is a team in London.