The Glass Quarterback

The Mayor of Swaggerville

Chuck Diesel

Lambo (or Lamborghini)

Money

Matty Ice

Mini Milt

The Hit Man

I’m pretty sure I’d could only name 5 of them. 

4 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Just a few others from my time:

The Birmingham Rifle  - Dieter Brock

The Sheriff of Linden Woods - Willard Reaves

Bluto - Chris Walby

Wild - James West

SWAC - Elfrid Payton

Turtle Man - Milt Stegall

Flight 87 - Albert Johnson

The Hammer 

The Glass Quarterback - Matt Dunnigan

The Mayor of Swaggerville - Odell Willis

Chuck Diesel - Charles Roberts

Ca (or Lamborghini)

Money - Justin Medlock

Matty Ice - Matt Nichols

Mini Milt - Terrence Edwards

The Hit Man - Benny Thompson

Can't think of the Hammer or Lambo/Lamborghini at the moment but the rest seemed pretty straight forward.  How'd I do?

4 hours ago, bigg jay said:

Can't think of the Hammer or Lambo/Lamborghini at the moment but the rest seemed pretty straight forward.  How'd I do?

Bravo, all correct. So “The Hammer” was the nickname of Trevor Kennerd. And “Lambo” is a bit of a chart, but when Sean Millington got brought in by Jeff Reinbold, he was a physical specimen and many commented on his chiseled physique. He commented that diet was a big deal, saying “you want to put premium fuel in the Lamborghini”. When it turned out the muscles were all for show and he was surprisingly weak on contact, especially as the weather got colder, some media wag mentioned that Reinbold brought in a Lamborghini when a Jeep would have been better - rugged, reliable, and able to withstand Manitoba weather, and also more more affordable. Millington actually had a nice resurrection in BC and helped them win the 2000 Grey Cup. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

6 hours ago, Rod Black said:

Cactus Jack referred to Rick Shaw as the only Japanese player in the CFL. giphy.gif

The Argos had a rookie linebacker named Sam Cjivanovitch. (pronounced See-Yan-Ovich). Jack Wells just couldn't pronounce his name. He decided to call him Sam Alphabet. The name stuck. He became Sam Alphabet, middle linebacker for the Argos... across the league. 

Other player nicknames. Not necesssarily started by Jack Wells. :

Herm "Ham Hands" Harrison. TE Stampeders 1960's. 

"Tricky" Dickie Thornton.

"Dirty 30" Jim Young.

""Doctor Death" Dave Fennell

"The Undertaker" Bill Baker

Bob "Hoss" Houmard

"The Little General" Ron Lancaster

Edited by SpeedFlex27

5 hours ago, BBlink said:

Yup! I wish I could prove it somehow but there may be a couple people here that can vouch for me.

I don't remember who so I will give you the benefit of the doubt but definitely originated on ourbombers.  People were going nuts over signing Peterson and I was like "yeah but his hands suck" hard to be right all the time.

On 2022-05-13 at 4:57 PM, SpeedFlex27 said:

The Argos had a rookie linebacker named Sam Cjivanovitch. (pronounced See-Yan-Ovich). Jack Wells just couldn't pronounce his name. He decided to call him Sam Alphabet. The name stuck. He became Sam Alphabet, middle linebacker for the Argos... across the league. 

Other player nicknames. Not necesssarily started by Jack Wells. :

Herm "Ham Hands" Harrison. TE Stampeders 1960's. 

"Tricky" Dickie Thornton.

"Dirty 30" Jim Young.

""Doctor Death" Dave Fennell

"The Undertaker" Bill Baker

Bob "Hoss" Houmard

"The Little General" Ron Lancaster

Those are the classics. I was certain you, at some point would include, Wayne Thumper Harris and Granny Liggins. 

I remember watching 36 year old Jackie Parker come out of retirement in 1968 when all the BC Lions qbs got hurt & no one could play. I also remember how much in awe the tv announcers were at the time with him putting his helmet back on at his age with no physical preparation at all. Parker was an assistant coach with the Lions at the time & hadn't played since 1965. He played 8 games. The Lions went 2-6 when he came back but Jim Young in his book said it was the damndest thing he ever saw. 

In those days players didn't take care of themselves like they do today. Training camp was for getting in shape & losing the 10-15 lbs they gained over the winter. There were no protein shakes but they had steak & beer. Most players smoked.

Careers didn't last much past 30 years of age. By then, players were so beat up physically they could no longer play. Especially at qb where defensive players could take their heads off. So, in 1968 when a player like Parker came back at 36 after being retired for 3 seasons he was considered a senior citizen. It was a huge deal.

Not many players played until they were 36 years of age in the 1960's. Ken Ploen retired at 32. Russ Jackson was 33. Sam Etcheverry was 32. All the punishment they took wearing inferior equipment compared to today took its toll. Back then players even looked older at the same age than their counterparts of today. It's all about lifestyle, diet & nutrition.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-QPMaJ_LesCI/UAABgzHfXTI/AAAAAAAAElc/oHXreJE29Gs/s1600/Blanda_George13_Raiders.jpg

George Blanda at 46 in 1970.

Reporters Asked Tom Brady If He's Retiring. His Response Is a Lesson in  Emotional Intelligence | Inc.com

Tom Brady at 46.

Times have certainly changed.

Edited by SpeedFlex27