Game 74 @ MTL

iHeart

38 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

A #7 Dman is full time?

No, your healthy scratch is being replaced by a d-man we drafted - Samberg.

It is an interesting topic.  The Jets have  drafted and developed 3 legit D-men (Morrissey/Trouba/Poolman) and 3 marginal/potential d-men (Stanley, Heinola and Samberg).  In that time, they have only drafted 11 d-men in the first three rounds of those drafts).

By comparison, the TBL (I picked the champs but didn't look at any other teams) have made 10 d-man selections in the first 3 rounds of those same draft years and have produced 1 legit d-men (DeAngelo) and 5 marginal (J. Dotchin, N Nesterov, S Koekkoek, L Hajek & Cal Foote).  Hedman was drafted in 2009, 2nd overall.

I focused on first three rounds, as anything beyond that is a lottery ticket, although Poolman was a 5th rounder, while Nesterov was a fifth and Dotchin was a 6th for the Lightning.  

You could also make the case that the quality of the 6 Jets D is greater than than the 6 TBL D that made it during that same time frame.  

16 minutes ago, Tony Fresco said:

No, your healthy scratch is being replaced by a d-man we drafted - Samberg.

It is an interesting topic.  The Jets have  drafted and developed 3 legit D-men (Morrissey/Trouba/Poolman) and 3 marginal/potential d-men (Stanley, Heinola and Samberg).  In that time, they have only drafted 11 d-men in the first three rounds of those drafts).

By comparison, the TBL (I picked the champs but didn't look at any other teams) have made 10 d-man selections in the first 3 rounds of those same draft years and have produced 1 legit d-men (DeAngelo) and 5 marginal (J. Dotchin, N Nesterov, S Koekkoek, L Hajek & Cal Foote).  Hedman was drafted in 2009, 2nd overall.

I focused on first three rounds, as anything beyond that is a lottery ticket, although Poolman was a 5th rounder, while Nesterov was a fifth and Dotchin was a 6th for the Lightning.  

You could also make the case that the quality of the 6 Jets D is greater than than the 6 TBL D that made it during that same time frame.  

Great analysis!

We had to wait a long time for Poolman, so that 5th round seems like a fair, all things considered. 

You want a top legit D? You tank. 

Colorado has developed 2 it appears Makar and Girard.  If ville don't count neither does Byram. 

The rest were all trades 

D men take time. Most don't come in to the league and dominate instantly.  

Edited by Goalie

1 minute ago, JCon said:

Poolman was drafted and developed to the NHL, which was the criteria. 

Chairot was drafted in 2009. 

But the Jets developed him. 

Poolman went from college to the Jets pretty much. Plus he's terrible 

Edited by Goalie

Go through the league.. 

Nashville is the only one who has more than 2 or 3 guys they developed themselves.  Josi and Ekholm. Tampa? Just Hedman. Toronto? Reilly. New York Rangers? Fox but they didn't even draft him. Carolina is another. They are the D men factory. Most teams have 1 or 2 guys they drafted and developed and the rest are trades. 

I don't get the point tho. Jets have given their young d a shot this year and parts of last, they all look like they belong. Ppl don't like Ville cuz he's small but love Stanley cuz he's big.  

8 minutes ago, Goalie said:

But the Jets developed him. 

Poolman went from college to the Jets pretty much. Plus he's terrible 

He wasn't drafted in the last 10 years. 

Whatever. The guy has played 160 games in the NHL. Doesn't matter what you think when the team thinks he can play.

The original premise was that the Jets were the worst at drafting and developing d-men.  The analysis was meant to demonstrate that simply isn't the case.  As for Poolman, a bottom pairing d-man is still a legit NHL d-man, and he has a 4-year, $10M contract to support that.

Also development doesn't only happen once a player reaches the Moose or the Jets.  The team's development personnel work with the players on fitness programs, nutrition, etc even when they are playing in the NCAA.  I believe one of the reasons the Jets have a good draft record is because of the focus they have put into the development side with guys like Jimmy Roy and Mike Keane.