Three-peat Kickoff Countdown

3 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Washington was a helluva back. Had at least one thousand yards season. He & Steve Beaird were pretty damned good. Throw in Richard Crump subbing in & that was a great backfield Dieter Brock had to work with. 

In fact he had 3 consecutive 1,000 yard seasons and fell just shy of a fourth with the Bombers. All-time, only Charles Roberts, Leo Lewis, and Willard Reaves have more career rushing yards as a Bomber than him (Andrew Harris is 6th on the list for those wondering). 
Jim-Washington-Winnipeg-Blue-Bombers-197

a07ne7l30bbgag70.jpg?skj2io4l

ca90g8wa9v7fcf99.jpg?skj2io4l

Mack Herron - Blue Bombers | Blue bombers, Winnipeg blue bombers, Nfl  football pictures

7fhkd4r9bsd2dsr.jpg?skj2io4l

Mack Herron #26. Anyone who saw him play won't ever forget him. He was probably the best "Little Man" running back who ever played the game. With his talent, he should have had the world by the tail. Instead he lived a tragic life after football where he was consumed by drugs & gang life in Chicago. Herron died in 2015 at age 67. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

12 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

I would argue Charles Roberts and Barry Sanders were better “little man” backs. 26 is surprisingly a weak number. Other than Herron, no real “big” names, and of all the players who exclusively wore this number, only one lasted more than three seasons with the club. 
ken-winey-5ee0e6a0-ecb6-448e-a72d-b9e4cf

Roberts didn't put up the numbers Herron did in the CFL & NFL. In 1973, he set an NFL record for combined yards with the Pats. Rushing, catching, kick & punt returns. He accomplished that as a drug addict. Imagine what he could have done if he was clean. Herron's level of talent was eye popping. He dominated both leagues. I'll stick to my statement.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

6 hours ago, WBBFanWest said:

Buy Ed Ulmer Cards Online | Ed Ulmer Football Price Guide - Beckett

I'll never forget!! I was in Grade 8 in September of 1969. I was sitting in the Salisbury End Zone bleachers in the south end zone. There was a stiff south breeze that day. Ed Ulmer was punting from the end zone where we were. He punted the ball & Boom *** must have travelled 70 yards in the air downfield. It sailed over the Lions returners heads & I remember them sprinting as fast as they could to catch the bouncing ball. Ninety one yards later, BC had a first down. What an awesome punt!

O-PEE-CHEE Football Sports Trading Cards & Accessories Winnipeg Blue Bombers  for sale | eBay

Fullback Ed Williams. Played for the Bombers from 1971 thru to near the end of the 1972 season. An effective runner & blocker for Mack Herron, he was suddenly cut in mid Septemeber of 72 by then Head Coach Jim Spavital. All kinds of rumours abounded about what happened from sexual misconduct of teenage girls to drug dealing. No charges were ever laid & no one has ever talked so it's impossible to know if any of these rumours were true. 

fb7330b653330419438cfe21e813c85e.jpg

Flanker Ken Nielsen #21 jumps hign & makes a great catch in a crowd during a 1969 pre season game at Winnipeg Stadium. Covering for the Calgary Stampeders are (left to right) Outside Linebacker Jim Furlong #70, Cornerback Frank Andruski #24 & Defensive Back Larry Robinson #15. Back in the day when teams played 4 pre season games they didn't put striping or logos on the helmets. That was for the regular season only. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

14 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

fb7330b653330419438cfe21e813c85e.jpg

Flanker Ken Nielsen #21 jumps hign & makes a great catch in a crowd during a 1969 pre season game at Winnipeg Stadium. Covering for the Calgary Stampeders are (left to right) Outside Linebacker Jim Furlong #70, Cornerback Frank Andruski #24 & Defensive Back Larry Robinson #15. Back in the day when teams played 4 pre season games they didn't put striping or logos on the helmets. That was for the regular season only. 

That’s a remarkable collection of stars in one photo. 

51 minutes ago, Rod Black said:

That’s a remarkable collection of stars in one photo. 

One of the best photos ever. Jim Furlong played a long time with the Stamps & was an excellent player. He was an OLB but he could alao played receiver. Thing is, Furlong was born in Winnipeg but moved to Lethbridge where he played HS football. After HS, he attended the University of Tulsa. He signed with the Stamps right during the Bomber dynasty. I wonder if he ever wished he was playing for his old hometown team than the Stamps. While the Bombers were winning Werstern Finals & Grey Cups he was watching his team find different & imaginative ways to lose in the playoffs in the 60's. Furlong still lives in Calgary. 

10 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

One of the best photos ever. Jim Furlong played a long time with the Stamps & was an excellent player. He was an OLB but he could alao played receiver. Thing is, Furlong was born in Winnipeg but moved to Lethbridge where he played HS football. After HS, he attended the University of Tulsa. He signed with the Stamps right during the Bomber dynasty. I wonder if he ever wished he was playing for his old hometown team than the Stamps. While the Bombers were winning Werstern Finals & Grey Cups he was watching his team find different & imaginative ways to lose in the playoffs in the 60's. Furlong still lives in Calgary. 

Well, he did take a lot of hits to the head.

12 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Well, he did take a lot of hits to the head.

Lol. He's a nice man. I like talking to him. I message him on FB messenger & talk about his days in the CFL.  Or he'll have a take on what' s going on now. Interesting to talk to these old veterans who were there as football transitioned to the game we know now. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27