Three-peat Kickoff Countdown

13 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Speedflex for the win theses last 2 days! Maybe the greatest trade in Bomber history getting Kehoe and Reaves from Edmonton for a draft pick. 

I remember the 1983 season. We had rookie Reaves & Kehoe tearing it up mid season that year along with Tom Clements from Hamilton for disgruntled qb Dieter Brock. Throw in John Hufnagel from the Riders as the backup in a trade where Cal Murphy sent them QB Nicky Hall, Rec Nate Johnson & OL Jason Riley. Those 2 trades changed the Bombers & made them instant Grey Cup contenders when before they were a team struggling to make the playoffs.

On 2022-05-04 at 12:58 AM, TrueBlue4ever said:

The hardest hitting safety in the CFL. No, the original one, not the current one. 

Bennie-Thompson-Winnipeg-Blue-Bombers-19

The Hit Man. Bennie Thompson. 

beast

3 hours ago, Rod Black said:

I like how you did that. Well done! 

no love for McGriggs??

765bd153fb2efff71304f75ab8fef012.jpg

Tyrone Jones. There may be better overall defensive players in the history of the Bombers depending on which position you consider, but there were few if any who could just take over a game with their dominance like he could when he turned it on (maybe Willie Jefferson is a comparable now). 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

6 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

eugene.png

1982 Eugene Goodlow - Winnipeg | Winnipeg blue bombers, Football icon, Blue  bombers

Eugene Goodlow 

Wade Miller (Canadian football) - Alchetron, the free social encyclopedia

Wade Miller

I always viewed Wade as a player as somewhat of a novelty. Now after several chats, B2B championships, and his hard nosed management, he has my total respect. Great local boy done good story. 

On 2022-05-06 at 12:20 AM, TrueBlue4ever said:

765bd153fb2efff71304f75ab8fef012.jpg

Tyrone Jones. There may be better overall defensive players in the history of the Bombers depending on which position you consider, but there were few if any who could just take over a game with their dominance like he could when he turned it on (maybe Willie Jefferson is a comparable now). 

So thankful he was a bomber. Bless his soul. 

6 hours ago, Rod Black said:

I always viewed Wade as a player as somewhat of a novelty. Now after several chats, B2B championships, and his hard nosed management, he has my total respect. Great local boy done good story. 

So thankful he was a bomber. Bless his soul. 

TYrone Jones died much too young. Such a sad story. He was so full of life when he played. It was always interesting (& funny) to watch him between plays getting under opposition players skins by always having the last word.

Quite a linebacking crew in the 80's. Greg Battle, Aaron Brown, Delbert Fowler, Tyrone Jones, Gary Moten,  Vernon Pahl.  Darrell Patterson, Paul Randolph, Frank Robinson, James "Wild, Wild" West & Dan Wicklum. These were our linebackers between 1984-90 ion alphabetical order.. There's a reasom we won 3 Grey Cups during that time. They were collectively the best & most dominant in the CFL during that time.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

8 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

TYrone Jones died much too young. Such a sad story. He was so full of life when he played. It was always interesting (& funny) to watch him between plays getting under opposition players skins by always having the last word.

Two stories about Ty that I recall. First was an interview Bob Irving did with then Argonaut o-lineman Chris Schultz. Chris said preparing to play the Bombers in the mid-1980’s was basically getting ready to put up with “3 hours of noise” from Jones and James West because they would never stop talking on the field all game. Schultz said they ran their mouths on every play non-stop, and the only difference was that where Jones just complained on every play - “he’s holding me again ref, did you see him holding me?” West was a bit funnier and could actually throw out the occasional bit of praise - “OK, you got me good with that block that time,I’ll give you that one….still holding me most times, though, ha, ha”. Irving asked how it was with the non-stop chatter and Schultz said it got to some players, but he just laughed because it was so entertaining with what they came up with and they would never shut up. 

Second story was the morning of the 1984 Grey Cup. Jones had won the Schenley award that week as the best defensive player in the CFL and had been seen around town but was keeping a lower profile than some of his boisterous teammates, which reporters found odd because of his loud nature and energy on the field. After the morning breakfast on game day, a bunch of players were heading back to their rooms and by-passed a notoriously slow hotel elevator to take the staircase up a few floors - all except Jones who waited for the elevator to come. A reporter saw this and asked Ty if hd was going to walk up the stairs as well rather than wait for what always seemed like an eternity for the elevator. Jones simply said “no, I’m saving all my energy for the game today, not wasting any on climbing stairs”. A record 4 sacks and a forced fumble later and he was Grey Cup defensive MVP.