Three-peat Kickoff Countdown

43 minutes ago, Stickem said:

Ernie Pitts....this guy is going back to the Grant Cup Years and was one helluva receiver .... played a little DB as well....In 59' he scored 16 td's including a 107 yd. pitch and catch from Ploen....Solid receiver and go to guy back in the day.....His life ended tragically when he attended a birthday party for his daughter and his estranged wife shot and killed him....This guy really lit up the old stadium...exciting to watch and always a fond memory and part of the golden Cup years of the late 50's early sixties

Some exes really hold grudges, obviously.

8 hours ago, Stickem said:

Ernie Pitts....this guy is going back to the Grant Cup Years and was one helluva receiver .... played a little DB as well....In 59' he scored 16 td's including a 107 yd. pitch and catch from Ploen....Solid receiver and go to guy back in the day.....His life ended tragically when he attended a birthday party for his daughter and his estranged wife shot and killed him....This guy really lit up the old stadium...exciting to watch and always a fond memory and part of the golden Cup years of the late 50's early sixties

His son, also named Ernie is my friend on Facebook. He told me that a movie of his father's life is in the making.

On 2022-04-19 at 8:53 PM, SpeedFlex27 said:

His son, also named Ernie is my friend on Facebook. He told me that a movie of his father's life is in the making.

I actually know the Jr Ernie... not that well, admittedly... more friend of a friend, but we've hung out in the past.

5 hours ago, bearpants said:

I actually know the Jr Ernie... not that well, admittedly... more friend of a friend, but we've hung out in the past.

I think the term in the works is more accurate than in the making. They haven't started filming. The way things go, it may never be filmed. I just know that there is interest to make a movie. It may or may not get done.

30 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Need a gif of him tracking down a Rider to save the West Final in '19. Saved the season. 

I was looking for that one. This was a tough day to pick. Had KD Williams, Tom Canada, and three Hall of Famers in Bob Swift, Roger Savoie, and Lou Mogul as other options to choose from, but a Cup hoisting gif is never a bad choice. 

Here are photos of the tackle:

gauthier.jpg?quality=100&strip=all

FBO_CFL_West_Final_201911017.jpg

And here is the video. The specific play is at 5:40 but the whole thing is worth watching again!

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

Multiple All Star Center Bob Swift.  He was the Center for Don Jonas, Chuck Ealey & Dieter Brock from 1971-77. Came into the league in 1964 with the Lions as a fullback rushing for over a thousand yards & named ROTY.

Swift blew his knee out in the 1964 Grey Cup early in the first quarter & missed the rest of the game. He was able to come back  as a player when his injury healed but his running days were over. The Lions converted him to Guard in 1965. Acquired by the Argos in 1966 where he also played Center. Traded to the Bombers in a positional swap. We traded our starting Center Paul Desjardins to the Argos for their Center Bob Swift prior to the 1971 season. 

He was a four time CFL Western Conference All Star in 1971, 72, 73 & 74. as well as an All Canadian in 1971, 72 & 74. 

Bob Swift-Winnipeg Blue Bombers-1975.jpg | Scott Grant Photography

1971 CHUCK LIEBROCK OPC CFL #21 O PEE CHEE WINNIPEG NM #3932 - OPC  Baseball.com

Edited by SpeedFlex27