Three-peat Kickoff Countdown

On 2022-03-03 at 11:24 AM, Noeller said:

Al beat me to it...was just looking for a Haywood pic. Ha ha. Fire hydrant, that guy. 

Sorry Noeller... ;)

On 2022-03-03 at 12:54 PM, BomberBall said:

Even Kerwin Bell??  😁

He gave us one of the greatest TD celebrations of all time. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

99 Jeff Croonen 89-90 | Blue bombers, Winnipeg blue bombers, Football  helmets

Jeff Croonen. There's a sad story here somewhere regarding being assaulted by a friend/acquaintance who attacked him from behind leaving him with brain damage & his CFL career over. The incident is referred in the link but I can't find details anywhere. Croonen passed away suddenly at age 46 in 2013. I didn't know any of this until I read the link. RIP Jeff. 

https://www.cflaa.ca/in-memory-of-jeffrey-croonen/

Walls_logo_web_20100925.jpg

So I am using Ed Tait’s template of “Bombers by the numbers” and giving extra credit for those he named, and he chose Gavin Walls over Gerry James for “he wore it well”. He put James in for #28 instead, and when I look at that number I see that James stood out well above anyone else there……with one glaring exception in my mind. Plus, James was inducted into the Ring of Honour as #98, so I am going to modify my own standards and include him here along with Gavin Walls who is pictured above. Besides, no reason we can’t have more than one person per day on the countdown picture. 

ens9l6s19dr21.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

5 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

It's one thing to play MLB & in the NFL. How many can say they played in the NHL & CFL? 

Kid Dynamite: The Gerry James Story: Smith, Ron: 9780889822764: Books -  Amazon.ca

Truly remarkable. Beyond that, who can say they won. Grey Cup and a Memorial Cup, who can say they played in a Grey Cup (winning) and a Stanley Cup Final (losing, of course…..it’s the Leafs) in the same season (1959 and 1959-60), and who can say they won a Grey Cup and celebrated by playing an NHL game RIGHT AFTER ON THE SAME DAY????? (NOV. 30/57, a day after he won MOst Outstanding Canadian award). No one else, that’s who. 

9 minutes ago, BomberBall said:

It’s definitely funny, but we also got a penalty for knocking that clown on his ass… Which was less funny.

Yes, but the flag completes the masterpiece. Without the flag, the piece wouldn't be complete. 

What's Mona Lisa without the smirk? 

p096q1j7.jpg

What's George without the black socks? 

61BYGXCdDlL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

3 minutes ago, BomberBall said:

Was it??  I was at the game and I recall us getting the penalty for unnecessary roughness or something like that.  Am I wrong?

As I recall it, Bell recieved the penalty for objectional conduct - taunting, and for clipping, and for being a tool without a permit.  penalty was 15 yards and he had to remain an Argo.  Was considered by many to be one of the harshest penalties ever handed down.  Only thing worse would have been to have been immediately made a Rider, but no one really deserves that fate.

17 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

toronto-argonauts-kerwin-bell.gif I will take every chance I can get to post this. In the words of Larry the Cable Guy, I don't care who you are, that's funny.

One of my greatest bomber memories. Those were hard days to be a bomber fan leading into it. So this crazy once in a life time karma was just beautiful. 

10 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

front.jpg

One of my favorite bomber DEs. He was such a joy to watch play. I thought he was going to be the next joe montford. Under sized but just soo good and soo much stronger than he looked. 

8 hours ago, BomberBall said:

It’s definitely funny, but we also got a penalty for knocking that clown on his ass… Which was less funny.

Bell got the penalty

48 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

I remember a lot of people wrote walls off purely based on size. He was such a solid player though. Not as flashy as some other guys but rock solid.

Taman being one...he didn't want to invite him to camp