Derek Taylor (DT) named new voice of the Blue Bombers

JCon

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

as I'd speculated earlier, it looks like Michael Ball (long time CKRM/The Wolf announcer) is going to be the next Riders PBP voice. He'd wanted the gig really badly when Taylor got hired and there were some complications at that point....but looks like he won't be denied this time. Good for him...he's been a good foot soldier over there for a long time. 

15 minutes ago, Noeller said:

as I'd speculated earlier, it looks like Michael Ball (long time CKRM/The Wolf announcer) is going to be the next Riders PBP voice. He'd wanted the gig really badly when Taylor got hired and there were some complications at that point....but looks like he won't be denied this time. Good for him...he's been a good foot soldier over there for a long time. 

And obviously does not embarrass easily. He should fit right in once the prefrontal lobotomy is done.

34 minutes ago, Jesse said:

I thought he burned bridges after not getting it last time.

No. My understanding is that he was so good (or popular) on the Wolf morning show that they didn't want to take him off that. As an olive branch, he was given a role within the Riders broadcast. That's my understanding of the situation. Country radio is a small world and we're all friends, to a degree.... 

This Ballsy guy is not getting a warm reception from Rider fans from what I'm seeing.

On Reddit in particular, Rider fans saying now is a good time to check out other teams broadcasts as this guy is insufferable. He proclaims 'sports nerds ruin sports' when analytics are discussed (like those awesome QB accuracy heat-maps)

On Twitter, Derek Taylor himself is implying Michael Ball is a prick by congratulating workplace bullies everywhere in response to Ball's hiring.

On top of that he supposedly started his call-in shows last year with 'no covid opinions' only to go off on covid tangents of his own throughout the show.

Sounds like a winner to me!

8 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

This Ballsy guy is not getting a warm reception from Rider fans from what I'm seeing.

On Reddit in particular, Rider fans saying now is a good time to check out other teams broadcasts as this guy is insufferable. He proclaims 'sports nerds ruin sports' when analytics are discussed (like those awesome QB accuracy heat-maps)

On Twitter, Derek Taylor himself is implying Michael Ball is a prick by congratulating workplace bullies everywhere in response to Ball's hiring.

On top of that he supposedly started his call-in shows last year with 'no covid opinions' only to go off on covid tangents of his own throughout the show.

Sounds like a winner to me!

Taylor alluded to some stuff when he left the Rider position.

1 hour ago, MOBomberFan said:

Probably just the same people who hung off Derek Taylor's nuts because they thought his boutique stats were the bees knees. 

I got nothing against new unique stats as a curiosity, but let's not pretend they're all that meaningful. Some rider fans felt it gave them a sense of being the smartest guys in the room because Taylor told them some obscure number on the radio.

18 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Probably just the same people who hung off Derek Taylor's nuts because they thought his boutique stats were the bees knees. 

I got nothing against new unique stats as a curiosity, but let's not pretend they're all that meaningful. Some rider fans felt it gave them a sense of being the smartest guys in the room because Taylor told them some obscure number on the radio.

Stats are great unless they reveal you are a paper tiger like DTs stats did to the RIders. After that the Rider fans didn't like them so much.

14 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

Is that the guy who goes by Ballsy? Total, idiotic Rider homer so yeah, perfect hire.

Could be worse...they could have hired Mullinder.

2 hours ago, MOBomberFan said:

2 hours ago, Jesse said:

Taylor alluded to some stuff when he left the Rider position.

Unfortunate that Taylor had difficulties on his way out. However I’m not sure if a Twitter war is the best medium to air his dirty laundry, especially as a public figure who will likely have to have a broadcasting relationship with another team’s PBP guy when the teams meet. 

16 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Unfortunate that Taylor had difficulties on his way out. However I’m not sure if a Twitter war is the best medium to air his dirty laundry, especially as a public figure who will likely have to have a broadcasting relationship with another team’s PBP guy when the teams meet. 

Nah **** that. If you're part of the Bombers I have no problem with you shitting on anything and everything crider related! Let the hostilities grow!!!

40 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Nah **** that. If you're part of the Bombers I have no problem with you shitting on anything and everything crider related! Let the hostilities grow!!!

We’ll agree to disagree. He’s not a fan, he’s a public broadcaster who is supposed to be professional, not a biased homer (which everyone criticizes the Rider broadcasts for) who is allowed/encouraged to take pot shots at another team and their media. I prefer the approach to be “WWBID” (what would Bob Irving do?)

2 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

We’ll agree to disagree. He’s not a fan, he’s a public broadcaster who is supposed to be professional, not a biased homer (which everyone criticizes the Rider broadcasts for) who is allowed/encouraged to take pot shots at another team and their media. I prefer the approach to be “WWBID” (what would Bob Irving do?)

This doesn't seem to be a case of simply taking pot shots at another team. 

2 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

I get it’s a personal beef, I’m just wondering out loud if it’s the best look to go public on Twitter with it in the manner that he does?

None of us know what happened behind the scenes though.  You're assuming he didn't already try to handle it more discreetly.  Let's assume that he did try to address the issues through the proper channels like going to management and they did nothing except give the guy a promotion.  Should he stay silent or go public?

The best part of this hire is seeing the ever growing (at this time 69 page) thread on the Rudder forum crying about this loss and the ultra sub par replacement they found for Taylor. 

I recall Michael ball wishing on air that someone would take a cheap, career ending hit on Collaros and Harris. Stay classy Rudders

1 hour ago, Letsgobomberspodcast said:

This thread is making my day. I haven’t seen the Taylor tweets but He agreed to join the pod so maybe he’ll speak to it! 

I saw nothing outrageous but this tweet was enough to start some feisty discussions

CFL reddit had some gossip but mostly from the usual 'anonymous insiders' so who knows what the truth is