Derek Taylor (DT) named new voice of the Blue Bombers

JCon

• JCon changed the title to Derek Taylor (DT) named new voice of the Blue Bombers

I've heard a couple of Taylor's games with the RIders and he did a very good job of PXP. A little over the top in praise of the RIders but that is what the job description demanded. I look forward to him being able to call a game and offering his honest insight, and I am sure he does too. Crazy that he left the football mecca of Regina to come here, as Riderfans are convinced their CFL PXP guy is a top 3 sportscasting job in Canada.

Edited by GCn20

2 minutes ago, Pickle Rick said:

Excited about this hire. Bob's work will never be replicated, so it seems like the right move to bring in someone who has his own unique tools/approach to the job. IS IT JUNE YET.

You won't have to wait that long. His first game on air will be May 23.

6 minutes ago, Mike said:

Honestly maybe it’s just me, but I’m really not a big fan of this.

Never really cared for DT’s style. Also drives me nuts how he looks at the game (who cares who leads the CFL in passes caught for 7.5 yards or more without getting a first down after 8 pm on Fridays) but hey, I’ll give him a chance.

Youre just upset he spewed Rider drivel over the airwaves to the unwashed green masses for 3 years.

Edited by Bubba Zanetti

19 minutes ago, Mike said:

Never really cared for DT’s style. Also drives me nuts how he looks at the game (who cares who leads the CFL in passes caught for 7.5 yards or more without getting a first down after 8 pm on Fridays) but hey, I’ll give him a chance.

As I mentioned in the other thread, this is pretty much exactly how I feel. I don't give two shits about all the weird stats, and the whole sports betting thing is Greek to me. I don't understand the language and don't care about it at all. 

Having said that, I understand it's a new generation and I'm a very old man....so it is what it is. I'm willing to give him a shot, tho I'm not as excited for the first pre-game show of the year as I would be in years past. The current generation of broadcasters don't do things in the same way guys of Bob's vintage did it....that's just a fact of life that I've got to adjust to, I suppose! 

1 hour ago, Mike said:

Like Dennis Beyak on TSN ,drives me crazy.

1 hour ago, Jesse said:

I've heard some clips of his broadcasts and you can tell he's prepared and has the skill to do the job.

As a radio voice, he doesn't have the gravitas of Bob Irving, but maybe he stays for a generation and our kids are talking about him the way we do of Bob.

That whole thing.....gone. The generation that required it is literally dying off, unfortunately. The Irvings, Wittmans, Rauters of the world who brought that kind of broadcasting....are the last of their kind. The new gen is a whole other type of broadcasting. I'm not going to weigh in on what's good or bad, but the audience is changing and what they desire is changing, so you have to change with them.