2022 CFL Free Agency(Rumors/official signings)

Nolby

Just now, GCn20 said:

A lot of GMs would do it. If he comes into camp and performs poorly, or out of shape, nicked up, you better believe any GM would get that 300k off the books.  It's a one year contract so if there is any doubt that the cost will outweigh the benefit...buh bye.

For sure which is why taking, no bonus up front in my opinion is a bad move, but I hope it works out for him. 

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

Wouldn't it be funny if he is a last cut and then is only offered half as much on the open market :P

A late TC cut or early season cut and guaranteed he'll be lucky to get half his salary from another team. No one is sitting on that much SMS at that point.

8 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

For sure which is why taking, no bonus up front in my opinion is a bad move, but I hope it works out for him. 

Well he's betting on himself big time, and if he gets the 300k he will have earned it fully. He will have to be among the league leaders, or at least the best on his team by a longshot, and not make any waves whatsoever and also hope that Edmonton scouting doesn't find a receiver that catches Jones's eye in TC and makes him realize 300k is crazy. Working in his favor is that Walker is coming off a down season and if he doesn't vastly improve he would likely be the first to go.

Edited by GCn20

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

99% of the big contracts come with a signing bonus in case the GM gets buyers remorse or a player gets nicked in camp and the GM feels he may not get his moneys worth. If, for instance, Lawler were to have a multi week injury near the end of camp....might Jones cut him? He might. Its a 300k contract...if a guy is going to miss half or 2/3 of the season and you don't have any signing bonus paid out already it would be far more tempting to do so. Minimum contracts don't generally come with signing bonuses but there is no real benefit to cutting a guy on minimum salary unless he was on the bubble already because it costs the same to replace him. When you salary is astronomical like Lawler's any multi-game injury or a slow start to the season and you might be shown the door without the protection of a signing bonus already paid out that will make teams more apt to 6 game you, or let you play through a slow start or slump.

yes. I was simply saying that all contracts being payed out rely on the player making the final roster.

11 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

yes. I was simply saying that all contracts being payed out rely on the player making the final roster.

Making the roster doesn't necessarily mean anything to that contract. Be invisible the first 2-3 games and you might be cut. Without a big portion of salary already paid out at risk a 300k has to make the roster and immediately produce his worth in game cheques.

7 hours ago, GCn20 said:

Making the roster doesn't necessarily mean anything to that contract. Be invisible the first 2-3 games and you might be cut. Without a big portion of salary already paid out at risk a 300k has to make the roster and immediately produce his worth in game cheques.

Doing that would be a huge admition of failure. For a franchise with their fan base on the brink of collapse they can't afford to just cut Lawler if he doesnt produce. 

Imo if it goes bad they will try to ir him or push him out into a suspension and leave the blame on him. 

7 hours ago, GCn20 said:

Yeah again, I know. No one is arguing with the points you're making.

9 minutes ago, JCon said:

Signing bonuses are, as they are paid at signing. Roster bonuses, not so much. Lawler should have secured a signing bonus. Very large risk on his part that he didn't.  

Signing bonuses are, but not all bonuses are. Lots of guys have incentives from roster based to production based which arent guaranteed.  Lots of bonuses are based on being on the roster on X day.

1 hour ago, JCon said:

Signing bonuses are, as they are paid at signing. Roster bonuses, not so much. Lawler should have secured a signing bonus. Very large risk on his part that he didn't.  

wasnt word the the ELKS used up their bonus limit?..I could be wrong but yeah a bad deal if things dont pan out...injury, performance...

16 minutes ago, Booch said:

wasnt word the the ELKS used up their bonus limit?..I could be wrong but yeah a bad deal if things dont pan out...injury, performance...

That hasn't stopped the Argo's apparently.  This week's insider talk article on 3DownNation has a bit about that:

By my count, the Argos are way over the $400,000 off-season signing bonus cap. They’ve given out a lot of upfront money to McLeod Bethel-Thompson, Ja’Gared Davis, Boris Bede, Henoc Muamba, Andrew Harris, Royce Metchie, Chris Edwards, and DaVaris Daniels. They’d be over on just those guys alone.

2 minutes ago, Jesse said:

I bet it was us.

Agent thinks we need another guy because we lost Lawler and Adams.

But our coaching staff originally brought him in and moved on from him so there was something about him we didn't like.

I don't think he ever made it to camp with us. He was signed by in Jan 2016 and released in early May 2016, prior to camp starting.  He signed with Sask a couple weeks later.

1 minute ago, bigg jay said:

I don't think he ever made it to camp with us. He was signed by in Jan 2016 and released in early May 2016, prior to camp starting.  He signed with Sask a couple weeks later.

It must have been rookie camp then, because I remember him on the field.

A lot of us were pretty impressed with how he looked and not happy to see him find early success with Sask.

We've obviously not had luck finding receivers under this management group, so it felt like a miss. 

2 hours ago, Jesse said:

I bet it was us.

Agent thinks we need another guy because we lost Lawler and Adams.

But our coaching staff originally brought him in and moved on from him so there was something about him we didn't like.

He's worth a tire kick,if he's still sitting out there then there's gotta bit a bit of wiggle room for the numbers part.