2022 CFL Free Agency(Rumors/official signings)

Nolby

3 hours ago, Goalie said:

Solid depth. And one with CFL experience 

Is Banks to Winnipeg a thing? 

As a return man he would be great. But man hes such a ***** 

If he can't beat us then join us. 

1 hour ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

People, people. There is only one clear choice here…….

3-ED0321-D-84-F7-4-B27-B9-F5-E53-AC080-D

Always go with a legend in today's CFL.

2 hours ago, johnzo said:

Argos got Ambles.  I was hoping we'd get him -- he seemed like a high-upside guy to me and I think he'd be a starter on any team in the league.

A few good high upside fa wrs available but I don't expect us to go bring one in. Hoping for a vet ni or two though. 

6 hours ago, JCon said:

I'm only in favour of signing Banks if he helps is win another GC. If we sign him and we don't win, it would obviously be his fault and I would say, I told you so. 

You can't be serious about signing Banks. Look what he said in an interview in the Toronto Sun in December, while admitting he's not the athlete he once was:

“I’ve got a lot of mental issues I’ve been diagnosed with,” said Banks, who was voted most outstanding player in the CFL in 2019. “I see a therapist regularly thanks to the Ticats. That helped me get through the season.

“My health issues, I believe, were enhanced because of COVID, coming here, leaving my family at home, not being able to see my kids. My kids can’t come to see me, me having to get vaccinated and I don’t really agree with that. All of this took me to a lot of places mentally. I’ve had to deal with a lot."

You can feel empathy and compassion for him, definitely. But sign him in Winnipeg? Nah .... hard pass.

2 hours ago, Doublezero said:

You can't be serious about signing Banks. Look what he said in an interview in the Toronto Sun in December, while admitting he's not the athlete he once was:

“I’ve got a lot of mental issues I’ve been diagnosed with,” said Banks, who was voted most outstanding player in the CFL in 2019. “I see a therapist regularly thanks to the Ticats. That helped me get through the season.

“My health issues, I believe, were enhanced because of COVID, coming here, leaving my family at home, not being able to see my kids. My kids can’t come to see me, me having to get vaccinated and I don’t really agree with that. All of this took me to a lot of places mentally. I’ve had to deal with a lot."

You can feel empathy and compassion for him, definitely. But sign him in Winnipeg? Nah .... hard pass.

Good for him for talking about his issues and for how he is addressing them. 

We can all relate how being away from family can impact you. 

10 minutes ago, johnzo said:

With Flex moving to LB, the DipshitsElks have turned to free agency to source a new tailback.

https://3downnation.com/2022/02/08/official-edmonton-elks-sign-former-riders-defensive-back-ed-gainey/

Also, looks like we won't have Charles Nelson to kick around anymore, he's listed on the Edmonton roster.

Tracker, is that you?

1 hour ago, johnzo said:

With Flex moving to LB, the DipshitsElks have turned to free agency to source a new tailback.

https://3downnation.com/2022/02/08/official-edmonton-elks-sign-former-riders-defensive-back-ed-gainey/

Also, looks like we won't have Charles Nelson to kick around anymore, he's listed on the Edmonton roster.

Nelson was signed a week maybe 2 ago. Never been soo happy to have some one poached from our team. 

The rbs get bj Cunningham too. They've made some really good moves. 

4 minutes ago, Bomber_fanaddict said:

So Lawler signed a contract that states if he doesn’t make the final roster he’s not paid $300,000k and no signing bonus…..

Wtf?

https://3downnation.com/2022/02/16/insider-talk-saskatchewans-ratio-lawlers-contract-the-best-cfl-free-agent-signing/

That's how all contracts work. Most have signing bonuses though.

41 minutes ago, Bomber_fanaddict said:

So Lawler signed a contract that states if he doesn’t make the final roster he’s not paid $300,000k and no signing bonus…..

Wtf?

https://3downnation.com/2022/02/16/insider-talk-saskatchewans-ratio-lawlers-contract-the-best-cfl-free-agent-signing/

Wouldn't it be funny if he is a last cut and then is only offered half as much on the open market :P

2 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

That's how all contracts work. Most have signing bonuses though.

99% of the big contracts come with a signing bonus in case the GM gets buyers remorse or a player gets nicked in camp and the GM feels he may not get his moneys worth. If, for instance, Lawler were to have a multi week injury near the end of camp....might Jones cut him? He might. Its a 300k contract...if a guy is going to miss half or 2/3 of the season and you don't have any signing bonus paid out already it would be far more tempting to do so. Minimum contracts don't generally come with signing bonuses but there is no real benefit to cutting a guy on minimum salary unless he was on the bubble already because it costs the same to replace him. When you salary is astronomical like Lawler's any multi-game injury or a slow start to the season and you might be shown the door without the protection of a signing bonus already paid out that will make teams more apt to 6 game you, or let you play through a slow start or slump.

Edited by GCn20

18 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

Wouldn’t be surprised. Sounds like something Chris Jones would do. 

A lot of GMs would do it. If he comes into camp and performs poorly, or out of shape, nicked up, you better believe any GM would get that 300k off the books.  It's a one year contract so if there is any doubt that the cost will outweigh the benefit...buh bye. There is no sunk money to consider. It was a smart move by Jones, and a dumb move by Lawler. Lawler has put himself in the position where he essentially must be the best receiver in the league or his salary might make him a casualty.

Edited by GCn20