2022 CFL Free Agency(Rumors/official signings)

Nolby

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

Harris is showing a complete lack of class. OShea lost trust in him..that speaks volumes. Farhan was on Pederson today and said Harris was not in physical condition coming to camp last year and that even Harris would admit that led to at least his first injury last year and probably second as well. Bomber brass and possibly members of the locker room were pretty upset with his lack of physical conditioning. Said Harris was dealing with personal problems and wasnt fully committed.

Correct on both counts.  Definitely came into camp out of shape and heard rumours of personal problems which I won’t repeat on this forum.

He might not be the most respected guy after this past season.  He admitted to coming into unfocused and not in shape.  He also admits he isolated himself from the team and didn't have the same comradery.

1 minute ago, wpgallday1960 said:

Correct on both counts.  Definitely came into camp out of shape and heard rumours of personal problems which I won’t repeat on this forum.

In his interview, he admitted family stuff was an issue.

47 minutes ago, Noeller said:

It's not one guy.... A the guy who we all assumed was the most respected guy in the room. And if he IS the most respected guy and says this.... And word travels..... That's concerning. 

I'm pretty sure  O'Shea is the most respected and followed by a lot of other guys like Bryant and Bighill and many more.    

45 minutes ago, Noeller said:

It's not one guy.... A the guy who we all assumed was the most respected guy in the room. And if he IS the most respected guy and says this.... And word travels..... That's concerning. 

Well, the most respected guy in the room is showing a lack of respect to the team & coach he played for. You don't hear Walters or O'Shea saying anything publicly & we know they won't. Andrew Harris should have taken the high road but he chose not to. 

This kind of reminds me of the way Gerry James left the Bombers back in the early 60's. James was a Canadian fullback who tore it up for the Bombers having two 1,000 yard seasons in 1954 & 56. James rushed for 5,541 yards before & during the Bud Grant years. He left the Bombers after the 1962 season very unhappy feeling disrespected by Grant. He played his last season with the Saskatchewan Roughriders in 1964.

He accused his Head Coach of disliking Canadians thinking they were inferior players to their American counterparts. He accused Grant of underpaying & treating every Canadian player on the Bombers like dirt. As well, he felt he deserved more money but the Bombers wouldn't pay so he left very angry when his contract expired. Until his name was put up on the Ring Of Honour a number of years ago, James had little to do with the Bombers or Alumni. 

My point is, most players don't get to leave the game at any level the way they want. Injuries, lack of playing time, eroding skills, contract disputes or coaching changes all contribute to a lot of players being dissatisfied as to how they left the game. Not many Tom Brady's get to walk away on top. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

6 hours ago, sweep the leg said:

Being a Friesen article I expected it to come off with a much larger axe to grind. Thought it came off more balanced than ever. No added shade cast on the organization. 

6 hours ago, Noeller said:

“We all” didn’t assume him The leader in the locker room. If you’d ever truly watched him on the sidelines on game day. He’s always off on his own, pacing the sidelines or even waving a towel to get the fans going. He’s never talking to the offensive line or others between possessions. Always ready to go back out there but on his own between. 

Am I piling on with anti Harris sentiment? I hope it doesn’t come across as such, it isn’t intended too. Harris was my son’s favourite player but he’s always been a little of a loaner off the field. 

Professional Athletes, coaches and management are humans too. The stuff that happens behind the scenes can really complicate things that is way more impactful and complex than some people think. He was struggling like he said. He owned it mostly, could have handled some things better but still was pissed at not feeling wanted. Life is messy for all involved.

Good luck, thanks for the years of entertainment and hope when the dust settles you retire a Blue Bomber where you belong.

Oh and ps Argos suck. :)

5 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Professional Athletes, coaches and management are humans too. The stuff that happens behind the scenes can really complicate things that is way more impactful and complex than some people think. He was struggling like he said. He owned it mostly, could have handled some things better but still was pissed at not feeling wanted. Life is messy for all involved.

Good luck, thanks for the years of entertainment and hope when the dust settles you retire a Blue Bomber where you belong.

Oh and ps Argos suck. :)

Well said. It is crappy situation all around but it sounds like the team had reason not to trust the AH would be 100% ready for this season AND AH had reason to feel hurt by the way the team handled trying to sign him again.

That article didn't come off a as a one-sided hit piece to me at all.

It sounds like Harris had a lot going on away from the game and that ultimately impacted his commitment to his craft going into the 2021 season. Let me preface the rest of my comments by saying he's one of my favourite athletes ever and what he did as a Blue Bomber is nothing short of legendary by local and CFL standards. I love Andrew Harris.

What kinda chaps my hide is this narrative the Bombers "let him go" despite offering him a contract he felt was insufficient. He chose to decline and look elsewhere for an opportunity to keep playing football, so there's accountability to be shared by either side, IMO. Was the offer that paltry by the WFC? Were the two sides that far away on numbers? The article states his offer from the team was insulting but without knowing the specifics (hard money, incentives, etc.), it's hard to determine whether or not that's a reasonable conclusion. It sounds like there was validity to the rationale of the offer, what with being out of shape prior to TC, strained trust with O'Shea, and then his injury-riddled 2021 season. Granted, he still produced at a very high level when he did play, but injuries tend to become a concern as one is hitting his mid-30s. That doesn't necessarily bode well for most athletes, tailbacks in particular.

There's also business side here to consider, which he should be able to appreciate considering his entrepreneurial endeavours off the field. The past is no doubt relevant but the future has to be considered, meaning someone has to take the torch sooner than later. I'm sure Harris can also appreciate that as he was once in that position.

It's unfortunate to see this unfold as it has. But I don't think what's happened should cast doubt on the organization or injure any reputations of those involved.

In any event, it's going to be weird and somewhat gross seeing him in double blue this upcoming season. And that's not going to change for me. All the best in Toronto, Andrew.

2 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

It sounds like Harris had a lot going on away from the game and that ultimately impacted his commitment to his craft going into the 2021 season. Let me preface the rest of my comments by saying he's one of my favourite athletes ever and what he did as a Blue Bomber is nothing short of legendary by local and CFL standards. I love Andrew Harris.

What kinda chaps my hide is this narrative the Bombers "let him go" despite offering him a contract he felt was insufficient. He chose to decline and look elsewhere for an opportunity to keep playing football, so there's accountability to be shared by either side, IMO. Was the offer that paltry by the WFC? Were the two sides that far away on numbers? The article states his offer from the team was insulting but without knowing the specifics (hard money, incentives, etc.), it's hard to determine whether or not that's a reasonable conclusion. It sounds like there was validity to the rationale of the offer, what with being out of shape prior to TC, strained trust with O'Shea, and then his injury-riddled 2021 season. Granted, he still produced at a very high level when he did play, but injuries tend to become a concern as one is hitting his mid-30s. That doesn't necessarily bode well for most athletes, tailbacks in particular.

There's also business side here to consider, which he should be able to appreciate considering his entrepreneurial endeavours off the field. The past is no doubt relevant but the future has to be considered, meaning someone has to take the torch sooner than later. I'm sure Harris can also appreciate that as he was once in that position.

It's unfortunate to see this unfold as it has. But I don't think what's happened should cast doubt on the organization or injure any reputations of those involved.

In any event, it's going to be weird and somewhat gross seeing him in double blue this upcoming season. And that's not going to change for me. All the best in Toronto, Andrew.

I agree. Both sides went into contract negotiations with completely opposite expectations of what they should look like. Both sides had their reasons for their belief. This was simply a matter of two sides of a business deal being unable to come to terms. It happens all the time and there is no real blame to be laid for it.

2 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a platoon approach with them. A Thunder and Lightning 2.0*, if you will.

* who's who remains to be seen

Yea....I think running backs kind of suffer from an even split of reps all game but definitely I foresee both guys getting their chances to carry the rock.

Just now, blue_gold_84 said:

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a platoon approach with them. A Thunder and Lightning 2.0*, if you will.

* who's who remains to be seen

I think both will be used situationally as they both have different skill sets that compliment each other. I think people are somewhat dismissing Oliveria. In what was essentially his rookie season because he was injured the entirety of the 2019 season he still put two, 100 plus yard games so he definitely shows flashes of being a great starting running back in the CFL. He’s only 24 he’s only going to get better. I didn’t realize how big he was. He’s listed at almost 230. That being said I’m excited to see what Augustine brings to the table. He’s a lot quicker then both Harris and Oliveria and I was impressed by his speed and vision. I think Buck is going to have some fun trying to incorporate them both into the offence. 

9 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Well, the most respected guy in the room is showing a lack of respect to the team & coach he played for. You don't hear Walters or O'Shea saying anything publicly & we know they won't. Andrew Harris should have taken the high road but he chose not to

This kind of reminds me of the way Gerry James left the Bombers back in the early 60's. James was a Canadian fullback who tore it up for the Bombers having two 1,000 yard seasons in 1954 & 56. James rushed for 5,541 yards before & during the Bud Grant years. He left the Bombers after the 1962 season very unhappy feeling disrespected by Grant. He played his last season with the Saskatchewan Roughriders in 1964.

He accused his Head Coach of disliking Canadians thinking they were inferior players to their American counterparts. He accused Grant of underpaying & treating every Canadian player on the Bombers like dirt. As well, he felt he deserved more money but the Bombers wouldn't pay so he left very angry when his contract expired. Until his name was put up on the Ring Of Honour a number of years ago, James had little to do with the Bombers or Alumni. 

My point is, most players don't get to leave the game at any level the way they want. Injuries, lack of playing time, eroding skills, contract disputes or coaching changes all contribute to a lot of players being dissatisfied as to how they left the game. Not many Tom Brady's get to walk away on top. 

This.

The organization - the players - built something great here in terms of accountability, culture and success.  There's no denying Harris was a part of that, at least in terms of the success we realized on the field.  However, how he chose to go out .. after the organization stood by and supported him after being popped for PED use .. it shows a little of his character and ego.  I'll never begrudge any athlete the opportunity to earn the most they can over their playing careers - we know they are all too short and in the CFL, it can be shorter still - but the lack of respect isn't coming from Management or the Coaching staff.

11 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Hard to say because his interview was so contradictory.  On one hand, he was insulted that the offer would not have made him the highest paid RB on the team but on the other hand, he says he would have considered taking the offer, had Kyle & Osh looped him on their plans.    If the offer was so bad, would he really have considered it, or is this just a case of his ego being bruised because he was clearly not being brought back as the starting RB.

9 hours ago, Noeller said:

I think that if he came to camp, not ready to go, he probably wasn't the most respected player in the room.  You seem to forget that we fans are the last to know, and only know a small part of the whole story.  The players know a lot more than us and have known it from the start.  There would be no surprises in that article for them and they know exactly who the Bomber organization is and what it stands for.  That's why all the key players are still here.  You're being a little too dramatic, methinks.   

Edited by WBBFanWest

26 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

The article states his offer from the team was insulting but without knowing the specifics (hard money, incentives, etc.), it's hard to determine whether or not that's a reasonable conclusion. 

I thought he claimed that the other RB's were offered more money.     I'm guessing a low base salary and it adding up with milestone bonuses and no signing bonus.  

It's disappointing that he has to complain meanwhile Trevor Harris who is a bonafide starter signs an offer that is 1/3 of what he could/should be getting and we hear no complaints. 

53 minutes ago, blue85gold said:

Well said. It is crappy situation all around but it sounds like the team had reason not to trust the AH would be 100% ready for this season AND AH had reason to feel hurt by the way the team handled trying to sign him again.

That said, was anyone else given the chance to speak?

Paul got his sound bites and clicked send.

13 minutes ago, blue85gold said:

For Paul Friesen, this probably was one of the hardest pieces for him to write. There have been times, that I haven't agreed with his written material, but this one gave me an idea of what occurred. Enough said.

In my opinion, no one wins here. Our home town hero is gone. Not for better situation, but just to ride of into the sunset achieving a milestone or goal that he probably has and exhibit the drive that AH has with another team. My hope when the dust settles and cooler heads prevail in the future, AH is recognized for the time that he spent as a Bomber in uniform and as community member representing them.

As for the players, my hope is that it doesn't create a division.  They among themselves talk, come back as strong as they have been in past and begin their journey at training camp to succeed. Win again for themselves, the entire team and the fan base in 22.

As for the fans, in my opinion, this just plain sucks. I'm sure many of us never visioned this. Again, enough said. My #33 jersey which is 4 years old, still hasn't been autographed (damn it), but I will still wear it on game day going forward.  Go Bombers!!!