GDT: Game 34 @Detroit

iHeart

So I think Kevin Sawyer could be decent (not great, but acceptable) as a colour guy, and he can give some good insight and analysis, but he seems to be trying way too hard. 3 immediate things he could do to improve:

1. Limit 95-99% of his comments to the time during the play stoppages. Analyze the play when there is a break, not during live play. At most, a 5 word sentence if there is a transition in play that buys you a 2-3 second lull, otherwise wait for the whistle.

2. Keep it short (ironic coming from me, I know). Hockey is a fast game so play by play needs to be quick and simply stated. Adding long commentary in the middle of the action as the colour guy makes the play by play guy miss things. 

3. Eliminate the folksy jokey stuff with Beyak in live game time. Way too much “buddy” banter, especially in live action time. Save the campfire story time for an extended break only when you need filler, and no more than once a game, or fit in a one second one-liner after a whistle and then move back to the game. 

Beyak has gotten sucked into these conversations more and more and is missing calls because he is talking about something else. I think the two of them have good chemistry but have not translated it into a tight broadcast for the games yet. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

8 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

So I think Kevin Sawyer could be decent (not great, but acceptable) as a colour guy, and he can give some good insight and analysis, but he seems to be trying way too hard. 3 immediate things he could do to improve:

1. Limit 95-99% of his comments to the time during the play stoppages. Analyze the play when there is a break, not during live play. At most, a 5 word sentence if there is a transition in play that buys you a 2-3 second lull, otherwise wait for the whistle.

2. Keep it short (ironic coming from me, I know). Hockey is a fast game so play by play needs to be quick and simply stated. Adding long commentary in the middle of the action as the colour guy makes the play by play guy miss things. 

3. Eliminate the folksy jokey stuff with Beyak in live game time. Way too much “buddy” banter, especially in live action time. Save the campfire story time for an extended break only when you need filler, and no more than once a game, or fit in a one second one-liner after a whistle and then move back to the game. 

Beyak has gotten sucked into these conversations more and more and is missing calls because he is talking about something else. I think the two of them have good chemistry but have not translated it into a tight broadcast for the games yet. 

Never recovered from Brian Engblom leaving.

10 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

4.  Stop blowing sunshine up our skirts.  Winnipeg has pretty knowledgeable fans overall.  If the Jets aren’t playing well, say so. If they make a bad play, say so.  You lose credibility when you praise a team when they’re clearly struggling.

** Not talking about tonight **

2 minutes ago, BomberBall said:

4.  Stop blowing sunshine up our skirts.  Winnipeg has pretty knowledgeable fans overall.  If the Jets aren’t playing well, say so. If they make a bad play, say so.  You lose credibility when you praise a team when they’re clearly struggling.

** Not talking about tonight **

Fair point. Still have to play the homer card a bit, though, as the host broadcaster. And there are some out there who are MUCH MUCH worse at that. 

9 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Never recovered from Brian Engblom leaving.

Having to come in after the combo of Hnidy and Ferraro is pretty thankless. 

Lots to like about tonight’s game, especially given how many regular bodies were out and how long they were off. 

Copp was everywhere and could have potted 4 or 5. Scheifele put on his work boots and was playing well with Copp, and even made a great stick lift in the high slot to take away a prime Red Wing scoring opportunity in the 2nd. Svechnikov was in good position most of the night but just a half inch away on a few stick handles tonight from making a play. 

Connor-Dubois-Perfetti gave us a tantalizing view of the future. Controlled the play and the cycle when they were on, and that one 3-way pass play deserves to end up in the net. Perfetti has some sweet hands and brilliant vision. 

Bottom 6 did their jobs. Nothing truly noteworthy but the Wings never had sustained pressure for an entire shift until the 6 on 3. 

Defensively quite the gem. Morrissey was jumping up offensively more than any other game I can recall this year, but was smart about it. Schmidt played the big body game. DeMelo steady. Pionk had some nice passes and the penalty he took was a “good” one in that it stopped a net front scoring chance. As for the new kids, Samberg looked comfortable for game one and had some great body positioning to shield the puck and still skate the puck out of the zone with an opponent on his back. And Chisholm picked a puck out of mid-air to stop a breakaway pass in the 3rd.

Hellebuyck was at his best, which means his body was in the way of the puck without looking like he was working hard or diving into position.

Some smart quick passes out of the defensive zone, great sticks in the lanes, and some more aggressiveness on the penalty pressuring the puck handler (although not chasing the puck, and they still did sit back at times).

Yeah, I’ve missed hockey during the COVID break.

That was a really strong effort by the boys.  Especially impressed with defensive effort on the 6 on 3.  That was quite exciting to see them kill it off.   I had a feeling if Detroit scored then, we'd be in for a wild ride.

Covid screwed the lineup, but none of the guys called up looked out of place.  Lowry's play to take the Red Wing out of position and give KCON the chance to shoot at the empty net was classic blue collar effort.

I'm looking forward (first time this season) when the Jets next home game will be.  Renewed excitement!

Samberg is a gooder. He's easily going to be a top 4 D man and if his O game improves playing with this forward group, he might one day be considered a top pairing LHD.

His play wasn't mistake free but he is an intelligent player that knows how to use is size in more ways than one. Quite the vote of confidence having him playing on the kill and when they pulled their goalie.

We have JMo Dillon Stanley Samberg Heinola Chisholm and even Schmidt shoots left. Lundmark should be ready in a couple or three years. That's some serious LH depth that Chevy might choose to use to shore up another area. What would a young D man like Stanley or Heinola return? 

PLD's dad is doing a fine job with our D men on the farm. Chisholm looked good (Maurice wudda played him 4 1/2 minutes) in his time and sure can skate. Kovacevic is said to be playing well and would have been called up instead of Chisholm if he were not in covid protocol. 

Perfetti's smarts shone through and he had good positioning in his own zone especially since he was playing right wing most shifts. Love to see him on the 1PP.....Scheif PLD KC Perfetti and Ehlers or Schmidt.