Cannabis, Pot, Reefer, & Marijuana

TrueBlue4ever

3 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

You can insult me all you want. Doesn't change the fact that Marijuana is a tobacco like plant native to Mexico.

Here ya go, maybe now you'll understand?

"According to the second edition of Webster's New International Dictionary. the word originally denoted a species of wild tobacco, Nicotiana glauca.[20]

The use of "marihuana" in American English increased dramatically in the 1930s, when it was preferred as an exotic-sounding alternative name during debates on the drug's use.[8] It has been suggested that in the United States the word was promoted by opponents of the drug, who wanted to stigmatize it with a "foreign-sounding name".[9] According to Lizzie Post, the word "marijuana" is deprecated because "in the early 1900s, the term marijuana was purposely used to negatively associate it with the Latino community."[21] The word was codified into law and became part of common American English with the passing of the Marihuana Tax Act of 1937."

Just wondering why you're arguing this so vigorously? To people, marijuana is canabis & canabis is marijuana.  Interchangeable. Who cares about legal terms? It's like arguing which is correct, booze or alcohol? Meat or protein? Potatoes or carbs? 

On 2022-01-01 at 2:47 PM, SpeedFlex27 said:

Just wondering why you're arguing this so vigorously? To people, marijuana is canabis & canabis is marijuana.  Interchangeable. Who cares about legal terms? It's like arguing which is correct, booze or alcohol? Meat or protein? Potatoes or carbs? 

Mostly just because I'm correct. It's one hundred percent nit picky. But I will still correct people. I'm not a fan of using made up terms that came about via propaganda etc. Other people can say what they want. I will continue to correct them ;) 

2 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

Mostly just because I'm correct. It's one hundred percent nit picky. But I will still correct people. I'm not a fan of using made up terms that came about via propaganda etc. Other people can say what they want. I will continue to correct them ;) 

I agree. I have to admit I have a chip on my shoulder when it comes to cannabis terminology and myths on the subject in general.

I suppose it comes from spending a good portion of my life under the societal narrative that the one thing that helped my mental health, and quite honestly probably saved my life, made me a criminal in the eyes of many.

Sorry to get off topic guys…

Anyhow, bringing back great depth/ST like Hallett is always great. Total glue guy.  

2 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/marijuana

So who is wrong that you are correcting? What you are doing is refusing to accept perfectly cromulent words.

17 hours ago, 17to85 said:

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/marijuana

So who is wrong that you are correcting? What you are doing is refusing to accept perfectly cromulent words.

Marijuana mean cannabis

Used by old time people to make cannabis illegal..booo bad guys...

Adopted by modern culture.

Cannabis still proper word.

Is that more on your level? Or should I try again?

14 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

4 pages about whether marijuana or cannabis is the right term. They're both right. Marijuana is not a racist term. That's just a far left leap right there. 

I've skipped most of those posts.

Does someone actually think saying Marijuana is a racist term? If so that person deserves... a boot to the head. 

43 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

4 pages about whether marijuana or cannabis is the right term. They're both right. Marijuana is not a racist term. That's just a far left leap right there. 

again...it's not a racist term. But it's ORIGINS in being used to describe cannabis are due to racism and propaganda. This isn't a debatable thing. This is just well documented history regardless of how many people don't want to believe it.

35 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

again...it's not a racist term. But it's ORIGINS in being used to describe cannabis are due to racism and propaganda. This isn't a debatable thing. This is just well documented history regardless of how many people don't want to believe it.

That's all fine and dandy, but the FACT remains that the term marijuana is mainstream and has not been used with a racist connotation for a hundred years or so. If you want to drag up an obscure origin story, then peddle that as proof that it is a racist term than you are leaning past the far left into wing nut territory. Just my opinion but this is the kind of nonsense that takes credibility away from the woke movement, it doesn't add to it....but hey, if it's a hill you wanna die on to prove how woke you are...have at her.

Edited by GCn20

43 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Anyone who used phrases like “this isn’t debatable” or “this isn’t up for discussion” I instantly get weary of. Everything is open to interpretation, everything is meant to be debated, there is very little 100 percent certainty in the world of discussion.

46 minutes ago, Rod Black said:

Seems like you can’t make up your mind whether it’s racist or not. 

seems like you may need some reading comprehension help.

51 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

That's all fine and dandy, but the FACT remains that the term marijuana is mainstream and has not been used with a racist connotation for a hundred years or so. If you want to drag up an obscure origin story, then peddle that as proof that it is a racist term than you are leaning past the far left into wing nut territory. Just my opinion but this is the kind of nonsense that takes credibility away from the woke movement, it doesn't add to it....but hey, if it's a hill you wanna die on to prove how woke you are...have at her.

lol cool story. I don't care what you think about left wing etc. Facts don't either. Marijuana came to represent Cannabis via racism/propaganda, prove me wrong...

People seem to think I'm saying no one is allowed to use the word marijuana. And that's fine if you want to think I said something I've never said. It's fine to call me woke/left wing/nut job etc etc simply because I'm presenting facts. I guess that's what happens?

Edited by Bigblue204

39 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

Anyone who used phrases like “this isn’t debatable” or “this isn’t up for discussion” I instantly get weary of. Everything is open to interpretation, everything is meant to be debated, there is very little 100 percent certainty in the world of discussion.

That's fair. I suppose I could debate it with someone who is looking to have one. But facts remain the same. Marijuana came to represent Cannabis via racism/propaganda

On 2022-01-04 at 9:00 AM, Bigblue204 said:

Marijuana mean cannabis

Used by old time people to make cannabis illegal..booo bad guys...

Still can’t make yer mind up eh?

oh, You hate old people, too. 

Edited by Rod Black

2 minutes ago, Rod Black said:

Still can’t make yer mind up eh?

oh, and your displaying ageist comments. You hate old people. 

Still can't understand simple English eh? Still trying to "trigger" me eh? It's ok if you want to continue using a word, no one is gonna hurt you. I didn't realize you had such a personal connection to it, my bad.