Cannabis, Pot, Reefer, & Marijuana

TrueBlue4ever

53 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Language evolves, marijuana refers to cannabis these days.

Youre right it does evolve. Which is why its evolved from Marijuana to Cannabis. Which is why it's called the Cannabis Act. The cannabis store etc.

No one in the industry says Marijuana. Even in law enforcement it's referred to as cannabis.

There's also a healthy dose of racism behind the use of Marijuana. 

Edited by Bigblue204

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

No red flags for me. People with everyday lives & good jobs, husbands, mothers, fathers, sons, daughters, they all make mistakes. He'll face a judge & accept whatever punishment is given out. Then it's over. He should be allowed to live his life in peace & play football. Hopefully with us. 

I don't drink much anymore. My partying days are over but 40 some years ago, I liked to go out & drink a lot. I drove drunk more than a few times home from the bar or house party. I'm not proud of it & I'm lucky I was never killed or injured as well as anyone else. I'm also lucky I was never stopped by the cops as I would have had my license suspended. When I got married, I cleaned up my act. We had a baby & my days partying were voluntarily over. Nobody told me I had to. It was my choice. To this day, I don't miss the lapses in memory or the hangovers.

One of my closest & dearest friends passed away in 2008. He was caught driving drunk on 2 occasions in the 90's & early 2000's. His last time he had a single vehicle accident, totalled his car & ended up in hospital. Lost his license, too. I hadn't seen him for a number of years as I had moved to Calgary. His Dad told me he had liver disease. That he drank himself to death. His wife left him because of his drinking. He couldn't take the loneliness & guilt so he drank even more. Sad. He was a great guy & a HUGE Bomber fan. He would have loved the past 2 seasons. He never got to see his beloved team win B2B Grey Cups. I miss him everyday. 

The illness of addiction does not discriminate between good people or bad, male or female, young or old, or even race. It can take many forms- chemical or process addictions, and about half the people in Canada know someone on a first-name basis whose addiction is our of control. My own brother dies from his, even after repeated medical crises and warnings from his doctors. He was talented and intelligent but that made no difference in the end.

39 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Youre right it does evolve. Which is why its evolved from Marijuana to Cannabis. Which is why it's called the Cannabis Act. The cannabis store etc.

No one in the industry says Marijuana. Even in law enforcement it's referred to as cannabis.

Yeah if you say marijuana people know what you're talking about. 

1 hour ago, Bigblue204 said:

There is a healthy dose of racism behind bssically everything.

Nobody uses marijuana as a racial term. 

1 hour ago, Geebrr said:

Yeah thats not what I meant. It was used due to its "foreign" sound back in the 1930s. There were literal ads talking about a new drug "Marijuana" and how it was making black and Hispanic men want to rape and kill white women. 

If they said it was cannabis, prohibition would have never happened, as it was used medically for many different reasons....and hemp was the major crop at the time....so instead they used Marijuana the scary drug from Mexico.

Anyways, I don't hold any ill will towards people who say/use Marijuana. I just like to let it be known that's not what it's called. There's no reason to not call it cannabis, and there are reasons to stop calling it Marijuana. That's all.

5 hours ago, Tracker said:

The illness of addiction does not discriminate between good people or bad, male or female, young or old, or even race. It can take many forms- chemical or process addictions, and about half the people in Canada know someone on a first-name basis whose addiction is our of control. My own brother dies from his, even after repeated medical crises and warnings from his doctors. He was talented and intelligent but that made no difference in the end.

My sincerest condolences. That's tragic. 

4 hours ago, Geebrr said:

I don't get marijuana as a racial term. I never thought about race smoking a joint. Marijuana was it's name. Dumb teens like me wanting to fit in & be cool as well as  potheads never thought about that ****. Only academics.  Back in my day in the 70's, it was called weed like it is today but the more popular term was "grass". 

21 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I don't get marijuana as a racial term. I never thought about race smoking a joint. Marijuana was it's name. Dumb teens like me wanting to fit in & be cool as well as  potheads never thought about that ****. Only academics.  Back in my day in the 70's, it was called weed like it is today but the more popular term was "grass". 

Marijuana is a legitimate and legal form of expression. Suppressing how it’s said, when it’s said, Is an attempt to cancel people. All bullshit.

There is more than enough reference in Canadian, American and British laws. Laws in effect and jurisprudence are written in English by the highest courts, to make the term Marijuana synonymous with Cannabis. 

Edited by Rod Black

9 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

ditchweed, ganja, whatever

12 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

It's not a racial term. It was first used as a reference to cannabis to confuse the public because it sounded foreign (specifically Mexican) and used in racial propaganda. "Marijuana makes black men rape white women". This is not a theory, you can find the ads/warnings today.

11 hours ago, Rod Black said:

Marijuana is a legitimate and legal form of expression. Suppressing how it’s said, when it’s said, Is an attempt to cancel people. All bullshit.

There is more than enough reference in Canadian, American and British laws. Laws in effect and jurisprudence are written in English by the highest courts, to make the term Marijuana synonymous with Cannabis. 

No one is suppressing anything lol. Jesus christ get off the soap box. It's just not a correct term. That's it. That's all. Laws or not, it's not what it is. Marijuana is one plant....cannabis is another. How they came to mean the same thing is based on propaganda and racism.

I was giving you a history lesson. No need to get your panties in a bunch.

Edited by Bigblue204

11 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

It's not a racial term. It was first used as a reference to cannabis to confuse the public because it sounded foreign (specifically Mexican) and used in racial propaganda. "Marijuana makes black men rape white women". This is not a theory, you can find the ads/warnings today.

No one is suppressing anything lol. Jesus christ get off the soap box. It's just not a correct term. That's it. That's all. Laws or not, it's not what it is. Marijuana is one plant....cannabis is another. How they came to mean the same thing is based on propaganda and racism.

I was giving you a history lesson. No need to get your panties in a bunch.

Actually you were doing pretty good explaining prior to this latest post. However, you got frustrated. Marijuana is a term used in legislation. You don’t agree and don’t have to. You don’t have to like it either. Yet, legislation uses them synonymously, that’s what matters. 
So your wrong when it matters. See the definitions in section 1 of the attached authority. 
“marihuana- means the substance referred to as Cannabis (marihuana)…”

https://www.canlii.org/en/ca/laws/regu/sor-2016-230/latest/sor-2016-230.html

I don’t think any player cares what they are ingesting, cannabis or marijuana. Had to get a football reference in there to somewhat stay on topic. 

8 minutes ago, Rod Black said:

Actually you were doing pretty good explaining prior to this latest post. However, you got frustrated. Marijuana is a term used in legislation. You don’t agree and don’t have to. You don’t have to like it either. Yet, legislation uses them synonymously, that’s what matters. 
So your wrong when it matters. See the definitions in section 1 of the attached authority. 
“marihuana- means the substance referred to as Cannabis (marihuana)…”

https://www.canlii.org/en/ca/laws/regu/sor-2016-230/latest/sor-2016-230.html

I don’t think any player cares what they are ingesting, cannabis or marijuana. Had to get a football reference in there to somewhat stay on topic. 

I'm not frustrated lol. I think it's rather funny that people disagree with actual facts and well known history. Yes Marijuana (you'll notice the government uses another spelling for some odd reason) is a common term. I was simply stating (once again) that it's not actually correct. I then explained how it came to be synonymous with Cannabis. That's it, that's all. Marijuana/marihuana will be out of the lexicon eventually. It's just a matter of time.

And the most important law governing Cannabis is called what? Hint it's not the Marijuana act.

Edited by Bigblue204

13 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

You're not wrong, you're just an *******! 

Seriously what you say is correct... except for the crap trying to say using the word marijuana is incorrect. As many have pointed out it is correct usage in the language.

You can insult me all you want. Doesn't change the fact that Marijuana is a tobacco like plant native to Mexico.

Here ya go, maybe now you'll understand?

"According to the second edition of Webster's New International Dictionary. the word originally denoted a species of wild tobacco, Nicotiana glauca.[20]

The use of "marihuana" in American English increased dramatically in the 1930s, when it was preferred as an exotic-sounding alternative name during debates on the drug's use.[8] It has been suggested that in the United States the word was promoted by opponents of the drug, who wanted to stigmatize it with a "foreign-sounding name".[9] According to Lizzie Post, the word "marijuana" is deprecated because "in the early 1900s, the term marijuana was purposely used to negatively associate it with the Latino community."[21] The word was codified into law and became part of common American English with the passing of the Marihuana Tax Act of 1937."

Edited by Bigblue204

1 hour ago, Bigblue204 said:

You can insult me all you want. Doesn't change the fact that Marijuana is a tobacco like plant native to Mexico.

Here ya go, maybe now you'll understand?

"According to the second edition of Webster's New International Dictionary. the word originally denoted a species of wild tobacco, Nicotiana glauca.[20]

The use of "marihuana" in American English increased dramatically in the 1930s, when it was preferred as an exotic-sounding alternative name during debates on the drug's use.[8] It has been suggested that in the United States the word was promoted by opponents of the drug, who wanted to stigmatize it with a "foreign-sounding name".[9] According to Lizzie Post, the word "marijuana" is deprecated because "in the early 1900s, the term marijuana was purposely used to negatively associate it with the Latino community."[21] The word was codified into law and became part of common American English with the passing of the Marihuana Tax Act of 1937."

Again no one is questioning your little history lesson, but you are being a pedant about the evolution of the language here and getting called on it.