Paul Maurice Resigns as Head Coach

Jpan85

4 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Seemed inevitable and overdue, even if I don't like it. Coaching was and likely remains an issue but it's not the only issue with the team.

All the best, Coach Maurice.

Yep have to agree , Schiefele looks like the shadow of the player he was,looks disinterested? Problem there i think.

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

Well, it would obviously be a bad look, but Quenville is probably the best pure coach available right now. But Chevy says they'll let Lowry do it until the summer, and then they'll do an exhaustive search. Have already heard James Patrick (Wpg Ice) name floated about as well as Lowry. But we'll see who comes available this summer....

I think Joel Quenneville's career as a coach is over after what transpired in Chicago. Plus, there's no way Chipman hires him with the connection he has with Chevy when they were both with the Blackhawks. 

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

Well, it would obviously be a bad look, but Quenville is probably the best pure coach available right now. But Chevy says they'll let Lowry do it until the summer, and then they'll do an exhaustive search. Have already heard James Patrick (Wpg Ice) name floated about as well as Lowry. But we'll see who comes available this summer....

No chance TNSE touches Quenneville with a 50 ft pole... you're right, he's probably the best free agent coach out there... but I'd be willing to bet he's already coached his last ever NHL game...

A name I heard that I like is Lane Lambert... if we can't get Trotz, why not get his right hand man

Edited by bearpants

Whoever takes over, I hope that they instill the FIFO mentality.  I realize in a sport where one guy makes more than an entire CFL team payroll that that isn't always that easy, but I don't see how a team of individuals can ever succeed, and that's what I see with the Jets right now, not a lot of team chemistry.

The club needs a new voice.....I agree....the song Paul was singing was getting a little stale.....The timing is strange ....but like one politician who took a walk in the snow, something obviously became crystal clear....the Jets were underperforming ...and Maurice was not getting the most  required out of the team....I think it's best that Paul pulled the plug before someone else did....He leaves a class act and his leaving will most likely end in some sort of rejevenation of the Jets......just how much and who the next permenant head guy will be is /are the next big perplexing questions

Edited by Stickem

3 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Seemed inevitable and overdue, even if I don't like it. Coaching was and likely remains an issue but it's not the only issue with the team.

All the best, Coach Maurice.

it is just an impression, but to me it seems  like their are some selfish, entitled  players on the team, and have been for a while.

not much a coach can do about that. 

but  speaking as a casual fan, other than a short, (surprising)  stretch last playoff run, the defence for years, has been disorganised and sloppy. which might be coaching. 

Edited by Mark F

2 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Here is Maurice’s presser. The man has more class in his little finger than all of the haters and armchair coaches on Twitter screaming for his head the last 3 years combined. 
https://www.tsn.ca/paul-maurice-resigns-head-coach-winnipeg-jets-1.1736180

I agree that he is all class and I give him a huge amount of credit for saying he had taken the team as far as he could and that they have the talent, but need new direction.  Not many guys would be able to do that.  But why do you feel the need to take a shot at the people who thought his time was up?  Wouldn’t him deciding to step aside show that there was some truth to their collective stance?

4 minutes ago, BomberBall said:

...take a shot at the people who thought his time was up?  Wouldn’t him deciding to step aside show that there was some truth to their collective stance?

No, I'd say it doesn't. No fan (hater, armchair coach, etc.) has access to the inner workings of the team and for anyone to claim otherwise isn't reasonable. Social media has given a voice to anyone who wishes to use it, including fans who can't put their emotions aside when it comes to their favourite team(s). Typically, the pendulum swings both ways rather extremely and objective analysis of a team simply doesn't happen. To add to it, those types tend to be the most "vocal" when it comes to their displeasure or dislike of players and/or coaches, making things personal or whatnot.

Three years ago, two years, even a year ago... the Jets were a winning team considerably more often than not and amongst the best in the entire conference. A bad loss here or an ugly streak there during that time was never justification to just axe the head coach, especially when you consider the roster challenges prior to the past off-season. That inaction falls at the feet of Cheveldayoff, anyway. Prior to last off-season, he did very little to address glaring deficiencies after the losses of Chiarot, Myers, Tanev - just to name a few off the top of my head.

The leadership on this roster hasn't been stepping up this season, which seems to indicate they stopped buying whatever Maurice was selling. Their sub .500 play as of late demonstrates that, with losses to bottom feeders, Tuesday's being the most recent and embarrassing - on home ice, no less.

Maurice likely saw the writing on the wall. The Jets appear to be a bubble team at best and they'll be hard pressed to make the playoffs, much less go on a run, IMO. He was the first to admit things haven't been working this season and that it was time for a change. I'd say good on him for holding himself accountable and being honest about it. I wish the same could be said for the GM right now.

I don't know how the rest of the season shakes out for the Jets. There are too many variables at play right now to even try and guess. But the overly critical, sometimes harsh fans got what they wanted. I just hope they temper their expectations as there is little reason, at least objectively, to feel optimistic about the remainder of the 2021-22 season.

29 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

No, I'd say it doesn't. No fan (hater, armchair coach, etc.) has access to the inner workings of the team and for anyone to claim otherwise isn't reasonable. Social media has given a voice to anyone who wishes to use it, including fans who can't put their emotions aside when it comes to their favourite team(s). Typically, the pendulum swings both ways rather extremely and objective analysis of a team simply doesn't happen. To add to it, those types tend to be the most "vocal" when it comes to their displeasure or dislike of players and/or coaches, making things personal or whatnot.

Three years ago, two years, even a year ago... the Jets were a winning team considerably more often than not and amongst the best in the entire conference. A bad loss here or an ugly streak there during that time was never justification to just axe the head coach, especially when you consider the roster challenges prior to the past off-season. That inaction falls at the feet of Cheveldayoff, anyway. Prior to last off-season, he did very little to address glaring deficiencies after the losses of Chiarot, Myers, Tanev - just to name a few off the top of my head.

The leadership on this roster hasn't been stepping up this season, which seems to indicate they stopped buying whatever Maurice was selling. Their sub .500 play as of late demonstrates that, with losses to bottom feeders, Tuesday's being the most recent and embarrassing - on home ice, no less.

Maurice likely saw the writing on the wall. The Jets appear to be a bubble team at best and they'll be hard pressed to make the playoffs, much less go on a run, IMO. He was the first to admit things haven't been working this season and that it was time for a change. I'd say good on him for holding himself accountable and being honest about it. I wish the same could be said for the GM right now.

I don't know how the rest of the season shakes out for the Jets. There are too many variables at play right now to even try and guess. But the overly critical, sometimes harsh fans got what they wanted. I just hope they temper their expectations as there is little reason, at least objectively, to feel optimistic about the remainder of the 2021-22 season.

So there was no truth or validity to tot the statements made by people who thought it was time for Maurice to go?  Come on.  I’m not talking about the loose cannons on social media who blow up and want a coach fired after every loss.  There are fans who can, at least somewhat objectively, look at the team and see that they were stuck and new direction was needed.  Maurice’s comments validates these opinions.

8 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

That was a beauty.

Just now, BomberBall said:

So there was no truth or validity to tot the statements made by people who thought it was time for Maurice to go?  Come on.  I’m not talking about the loose cannons on social media who blow up and want a coach fired after every loss.  There are fans who can, at least somewhat objectively, look at the team and see that they were stuck and new direction was needed.  Maurice’s comments validates these opinions.

Prior to today (or the current season), when was a there more justifiably appropriate time to fire Maurice?

2019 off-season: Jets were 47-30-5, finished second in the division, fourth in the conference, and lost in 6 to the eventual cup champions. No.
2020 off-season: Jets were 37-28-6,  finished fifth in the division, ninth in the conference, and lost in 4 to the Flames in the pandemic bubble qualifier. Not really.
2021 off-season: Jets were 30-23-3, finished third in the division, swept the Oilers, but then got swept by the Habs. Also not really.

Maurice's decision and comments today validate the opinions of those who thought his time was up this season, IMO. As Cheveldayoff stated, the roster was upgraded but the results weren't there. I highly doubt Maurice's thought process today was anything beyond the scope of the current campaign and the team's struggles therein through 28 games.