Paul Maurice Resigns as Head Coach

Jpan85

man he's had the job longer than most NHL Head Coaches have in the last decade, his days were kind of numbered but this was really out of left field, but it could be worse, the Jets could have lost 17 games in a row (which I think I had a dream about last night and yet there they still kept him on)

Well I'm looking forward to seeing what Dave Lowry will bring to us

we're going to find out soon enough why

Edited by iHeart

There's never a good time to resign/get fired during the NHL season.  I suspect that the pressure was starting to build on him and agree with what others have a stated... resign or get fired.  We needed a coaching change.

On a side note, I feel bad for the human being that is Paul Maurice.   Always tough to walk away/lose a job.  I wish him nothing but the best going forward.

Edited by captaincanuck12

It's not going to be long before PM surfaces with another professional hockey team. All the best to him, I loved listening to him talk hockey, a very bright mind. Any media hockey outlet might want to back up the Brinks truck for PM because he would draw in the viewers.

Now lets go Jets, no more excuses. You just lost the last one.

Love Maurice...always have, always will. Great hockey mind, great orator on hockey. I think he's a leader of men. But every coach is hired to eventually be fired one day. At some point, every coach turns into Charlie Brown's Teacher, and you need a new voice to get their attention again. Such a shame...Winnipeg just lost a really good one. 

It was time. Like mentioned he took them as far as he could.

This organization was not going to fire someone they held in such high regard. This is the best outcome. I too thought he was a great guy to have in the position, but the organization needed a change.

Also - I am glad that the organization handled it this way, and gave Paul the option to resign.  It is hard when you hold someone in such high esteem, and I always hate seeing coaches fired mid season, like Mack did to LaPo.  I would hope that if the situation ever came where it was time for MOS to leave (argh I hate that I even wrote that) that it would be handled in a similar fashion.  Just my two cents.

Well, it would obviously be a bad look, but Quenville is probably the best pure coach available right now. But Chevy says they'll let Lowry do it until the summer, and then they'll do an exhaustive search. Have already heard James Patrick (Wpg Ice) name floated about as well as Lowry. But we'll see who comes available this summer....

15 minutes ago, bb1 said:

Really didn't think this would happen but i guess the loss to the Sabres was the last straw. Lasted a long time as a coach which is a testament to him. Hopefully this sparks the team.

That game made me wretch.  Was at the gym on a treadmill beside another Jets fan and asked him what he thought of the Sabres game and he just about had a meltdown.  It was the final straw.

Just now, kelownabomberfan said:

That game made me wretch.  Was at the gym on a treadmill beside another Jets fan and asked him what he thought of the Sabres game and he just about had a meltdown.  It was the final straw.

There were so many final straws over the years that it was having an environmental impact.