2021/22 - CFL Offseason - Non-Back-to-Back Grey Cup Champion Thread

JCon

Not a real surprise, but some info anyhow... 

I would think the Canadians were voting down re Ratio and the Americans re the supposed ratification bonus that they believed they were getting... 

Edited by Noeller

Suspended for travel issues, Stamps WR Brandon Langley knocking the sense out of a slap-happy United Airlines employee:

The employee was fired but only Langley was arrested. Even in the extended video this looks a lot like Langley defending himself against someone who won't let up. Porkins kept on coming like a zombie even after getting toppled like a weeble wobble

19 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

Suspended for travel issues, Stamps WR Brandon Langley knocking the sense out of a slap-happy United Airlines employee:

The employee was fired but only Langley was arrested. Even in the extended video this looks a lot like Langley defending himself against someone who won't let up. Porkins kept on coming like a zombie even after getting toppled like a weeble wobble

It cost Langley a shot at making the Stamps so right or wrong was it worth it?

3 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

It cost Langley a shot at making the Stamps so right or wrong was it worth it?

I believe Langley was on the suspended list and was having trouble getting into the country when this happened.

Besides that, is this a rhetorical question? How would you have handled getting slapped in the face? Like a perfect gentleman I'm sure...

5 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

I believe Langley was on the suspended list and was having trouble getting into the country when this happened.

Besides that, is this a rhetorical question? How would you have handled getting slapped in the face? Like a perfect gentleman I'm sure...

I think once he would have struck me that would have been it as I know I'd have got the guy for assault. I hope I'd be a little smarter than Langley was. Certainly that UA employee won the prize for Dumbass Employee Of The Year.

That video was going viral in a big way, I saw it multiple times before the news came out that it was a CFL player.

Honestly though, unless something else comes out, good for Langley. He apparently used a wheelchair to roll his luggage to the drop off instead of a $5 cart which while … weird, is not worth the employee trying to pick a fight over it.

41 minutes ago, Mike said:

That video was going viral in a big way, I saw it multiple times before the news came out that it was a CFL player.

Honestly though, unless something else comes out, good for Langley. He apparently used a wheelchair to roll his luggage to the drop off instead of a $5 cart which while … weird, is not worth the employee trying to pick a fight over it.

Apparently another employee told him to use the wheelchair to roll the luggage because they were out of trolleys. Anyways I agree once that guy put his hands on Langley he had every right to defend himself. 

I feel like this off season the fans have been extremely united on a lot of the controversial issues. Old or young province to province all I see or hear is fans on the same page. 
 Don’t screw the players don’t remove the ratio don’t get rid of 3 downs get the deal done let guys compete for starting jobs etc. 

the league needs to do a better job of taping into the pulse of the fan base. Its not hard to see what needs to be done. 

56 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Much ado about nothing? 

https://www.tsn.ca/cfl-players-report-to-work-as-league-submits-new-cba-proposal-1.1803813

Simoni tho.. but maybe the 70 who did all voted no? So the extra 30 don't matter? Boiling over math 

Dave Naylor explains the union vote issue here:

If 90-100 players in each camp, then 800-900 total voters. Removing 400 from that vote skews things pretty drastically, and if the vast majority of those lost voters are American, then the Canadians get an over-represented voice. With rosters of 21 Canadians, 23 Americans (counting QBs) and 2 Globals, a divisive issue like ratio changing will split the vote almost 50/50, so screwing with ability to vote for Americans can make a big difference. Simoni may have a valid concern. 

14 hours ago, Booch said:

Soley at the feet of the Canadians...u still have your gauranteed 7 starting spots...you don't want your reps cut down...prove your worth and stop crying. Canadians have been beneficiary of all previous agreements and paid in many instances well beyond what they should...and many a u.s player shown the road due to being ousted by a far inferior Canadian ..sure it's the CFL but quality shouldn't be compromised by nationality...I can tell you first hand many a great player had opted to not even come here as he has had guys in his ear telling him to not waste his time cause he gonna be cut for a Canadian player who in some cases woukd be hard pressed to start on a top notch JUCO team..this is facts

You still will require Canadian backups above and beyond the actual starting 7...not just naturalized Americans...suck it up..prove your worth..if it's mainly the Canadians balking at the 49% thing..and having American league stars who stick in league and with same team being somewhat rewarded for it...guys who put butts in seats and have their merchsndise fly off shelves..they can eat a bag...

I could imagine an equally insensitive Canadian player’s response to you being:

“All of the player concessions fall Sole(l)y at the feet of the Canadians...we have already lost one of our guaranteed 7 starting spots to the “veteran American” (and it used to be 12 Canadians, then 11)...now you want our reps cut down which will soon lead to full-time loss of the spot and only 4 Canadians per team…....prove your own worth by making the starting 24 and stop crying. Canadians have been the backbone of this league and the reason inferior Americans who can’t make the NFL have another option to play football and get a second look, and paid in many instances when they would have no career option...if there is no ratio many a Canadian player who is better like an Andrew Harris never even gets a fair chance to compete from the start due to being ousted by a far cheaper American who had the advantage of a big shiny US College program ..yes it's the CFL and nationality which is what the league was founded on should not be compromised so that a few top Americans can be paid more and create a greater divide between the top and bottom money-makers on a team and divide a locker room even further by creating a rich and poor class system...I can tell you first hand many a great American player had the opportunity to come here as he has had NFL coaches in his ear telling him to not waste his time in the league cause he gonna be cut for not being big enough, fast enough, tall enough, mature enough, doesn’t fit the NFL model enough (see Willie Jefferson for one) until he gets a solid look here, performs, and then the League gets past its biases and takes a second look, all because the CFL was there to showcase him (see Doug Flutie and Cameron Wake for two more)…..this is facts

You still will require  20 Americans plus QBs plus two more designated imports..suck it up..prove your worth rather than demanding less Canadians get jobs in their home country and being indignant when they choose to vote no to sacrificing their own jobs for you..if it's mainly the Canadians balking at the 49% thing it’s because it’s just another step towards eliminating Canadians all together and wiping out any sense of”Canadian” in the CFL..and alienating the Canadian fan base by having American league with American rules and American players without guys who are home town heroes who put butts in seats and have their merchandise fly off shelves (Harris and Demski probably moved more jerseys than Zach Collaros)……if Americans don’t want to play up in Canada as immigrants taking jobs from Canadians (funny when the MAGA war cry is on the other foot, isn’t it?) they can go play in the XFL, USFL, arena league, or whatever other US spring league has been created this year and watch it fold in a year or two while their player paycheques bounce again and again, or they can come up here and earn their spot in the most-tenured football league in North America and only stable viable option to the NFL to keep their football dream alive, or they can go work at Walmart with their 4 year college football scholarship degree, or they can eat a bag...”

22 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I feel like this off season the fans have been extremely united on a lot of the controversial issues. Old or young province to province all I see or hear is fans on the same page. 
 Don’t screw the players don’t remove the ratio don’t get rid of 3 downs get the deal done let guys compete for starting jobs etc. 

the league needs to do a better job of taping into the pulse of the fan base. Its not hard to see what needs to be done. 

Not so sure the fans have been truly united. Majority of the vocal folks seemed to be firmly in the players’ corner and did not like the ratio changes in the first offer, but now that the Canadian players are pushing back at voting themselves out of a job, the vocal public is now casting them as the villains because it might delay the season. And we need to be careful about the utility of “tapping the pulse of the fan base”. The CFL would probably prefer to tap the pulse of the non-fan to see what would make them a fan rather than catering to the established fan who is not likely to go anywhere anyway, even if Canadians are eliminated (as the flip-flop on the ratio stance would seem to indicate). 

if I read it correct...didnt technically the amount of canadians to be starters went up from 7..to 8...the 8th being a naturalized American?...but 3 others can replace true Canadians if a team chooses....key word here...up to 49% of snaps....so.....earn yer Canadian birthright paycheque and make the decision to "replace" you for some snaps a moot point...also, if you are a true team player you will accommodate rotation and situational snaps to allow your team to be more successful just as players do now... do u hear guys like Jeffcoat and Jefferson, and similar players on other teams crying about snap count???...Those players who voted it down...still have 7 starting jobs...just like before....you dont lose money having snap count reduced, and you still need "true" canadian back-ups to cover injury...etc...so if this CBA allows for better roster flexibility and in the end...improved quality of game and entertainment value....then suck it up butter cup...If I was the CFL I'd say...okay...we will switch that, but you give up a) revenue share or b) cap increases.....gotta give to get....people making it seem like Canadian jobs are going away...which isnt the case....snap counts may be reduced....but deal with it...perform and you wont need to worry about it

25 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Dave Naylor explains the union vote issue here:

If 90-100 players in each camp, then 800-900 total voters. Removing 400 from that vote skews things pretty drastically, and if the vast majority of those lost voters are American, then the Canadians get an over-represented voice. With rosters of 21 Canadians, 23 Americans (counting QBs) and 2 Globals, a divisive issue like ratio changing will split the vote almost 50/50, so screwing with ability to vote for Americans can make a big difference. Simoni may have a valid concern. 

I could imagine an equally insensitive Canadian player’s response to you being:

“All of the player concessions fall Sole(l)y at the feet of the Canadians...we have already lost one of our guaranteed 7 starting spots to the “veteran American” (and it used to be 12 Canadians, then 11)...now you want our reps cut down which will soon lead to full-time loss of the spot and only 4 Canadians per team…....prove your own worth by making the starting 24 and stop crying. Canadians have been the backbone of this league and the reason inferior Americans who can’t make the NFL have another option to play football and get a second look, and paid in many instances when they would have no career option...if there is no ratio many a Canadian player who is better like an Andrew Harris never even gets a fair chance to compete from the start due to being ousted by a far cheaper American who had the advantage of a big shiny US College program ..yes it's the CFL and nationality which is what the league was founded on should not be compromised so that a few top Americans can be paid more and create a greater divide between the top and bottom money-makers on a team and divide a locker room even further by creating a rich and poor class system...I can tell you first hand many a great American player had the opportunity to come here as he has had NFL coaches in his ear telling him to not waste his time in the league cause he gonna be cut for not being big enough, fast enough, tall enough, mature enough, doesn’t fit the NFL model enough (see Willie Jefferson for one) until he gets a solid look here, performs, and then the League gets past its biases and takes a second look, all because the CFL was there to showcase him (see Doug Flutie and Cameron Wake for two more)…..this is facts

You still will require  20 Americans plus QBs plus two more designated imports..suck it up..prove your worth rather than demanding less Canadians get jobs in their home country and being indignant when they choose to vote no to sacrificing their own jobs for you..if it's mainly the Canadians balking at the 49% thing it’s because it’s just another step towards eliminating Canadians all together and wiping out any sense of”Canadian” in the CFL..and alienating the Canadian fan base by having American league with American rules and American players without guys who are home town heroes who put butts in seats and have their merchandise fly off shelves (Harris and Demski probably moved more jerseys than Zach Collaros)……if Americans don’t want to play up in Canada as immigrants taking jobs from Canadians (funny when the MAGA war cry is on the other foot, isn’t it?) they can go play in the XFL, USFL, arena league, or whatever other US spring league has been created this year and watch it fold in a year or two while their player paycheques bounce again and again, or they can come up here and earn their spot in the most-tenured football league in North America and only stable viable option to the NFL to keep their football dream alive, or they can go work at Walmart with their 4 year college football scholarship degree, or they can eat a bag...”

Not so sure the fans have been truly united. Majority of the vocal folks seemed to be firmly in the players’ corner and did not like the ratio changes in the first offer, but now that the Canadian players are pushing back at voting themselves out of a job, the vocal public is now casting them as the villains because it might delay the season. And we need to be careful about the utility of “tapping the pulse of the fan base”. The CFL would probably prefer to tap the pulse of the non-fan to see what would make them a fan rather than catering to the established fan who is not likely to go anywhere anyway, even if Canadians are eliminated (as the flip-flop on the ratio stance would seem to indicate). 

Willie was basically a victim of off field issues....not skill/size/etc...and spin what u want...but i know for a FACT many guys who would have been generational stars up here didnt come soley because the ratio, and didnt want to risk injury in a situation where they most likely had to beat out an established vet...in his prime, or be cut when a Canadian with no real reason to be on a pro field took the position...u can disagree and argue till the cows come home, but this has been the case for decades...even today, there are a lot of Canadians with no business being on a pro football roster, but soley are as they protected by BC...Does this make the CFL great?...in my opinion no....great for Canadian players I guess...but not great for over all game...and BTW...I am a Canadian player....

7 minutes ago, Booch said:

if I read it correct...didnt technically the amount of canadians to be starters went up from 7..to 8...the 8th being a naturalized American?...but 3 others can replace true Canadians if a team chooses....key word here...up to 49% of snaps....so.....earn yer Canadian birthright paycheque and make the decision to "replace" you for some snaps a moot point...also, if you are a true team player you will accommodate rotation and situational snaps to allow your team to be more successful just as players do now... do u hear guys like Jeffcoat and Jefferson, and similar players on other teams crying about snap count???...Those players who voted it down...still have 7 starting jobs...just like before....you dont lose money having snap count reduced, and you still need "true" canadian back-ups to cover injury...etc...so if this CBA allows for better roster flexibility and in the end...improved quality of game and entertainment value....then suck it up butter cup...If I was the CFL I'd say...okay...we will switch that, but you give up a) revenue share or b) cap increases.....gotta give to get....people making it seem like Canadian jobs are going away...which isnt the case....snap counts may be reduced....but deal with it...perform and you wont need to worry about it

Also if a team has American kicker dedicated American returner you have two less Americans that can rotate in.

19 minutes ago, Booch said:

No it's 6 and 1 I'm fairly sure. I'm fine with them making it 6 true starters and 1 american who has aged in. The 49% bullshit was just a dumb idea from the jump. 

Also lets not all jump on what the media (Especially TO media) are saying. I've seen at least 2 americans say they voted no as well. This wasn't JUST about the ratio and Canadians.

But even if it was. Tough ****. This is Canada. Don't like it. Leave. I'm 100% in for an all Canadian league even though I know it wouldn't be what we've come to enjoy.

32 minutes ago, Booch said:

Willie was basically a victim of off field issues....not skill/size/etc...and spin what u want...but i know for a FACT many guys who would have been generational stars up here didnt come soley because the ratio, and didnt want to risk injury in a situation where they most likely had to beat out an established vet...in his prime, or be cut when a Canadian with no real reason to be on a pro field took the position...u can disagree and argue till the cows come home, but this has been the case for decades...even today, there are a lot of Canadians with no business being on a pro football roster, but soley are as they protected by BC...Does this make the CFL great?...in my opinion no....great for Canadian players I guess...but not great for over all game...and BTW...I am a Canadian player....

Yes, but it’s a national league.

Whether you agree or not, one of the purposes of the league is help grow grass roots football, employ Canadians, keep wages in Canada, etc. It is not simply about importing the best Americans possible. Otherwise we’d all just watch the NFL.

Grass roots hockey does just fine and there is no stipulating you need X amount of Canadians....If the Jets had no Canadians...would fans stop watching...doubt it....If CFL went to an all Canadian player base...they would lose more fans than they would if they went to an all American Player base...the game would become not worth the price you have to pay to go see it, and the gap between elite layer and slug would be laughable

every where i read they added an extra Canadian but its the 3/5 yr american on top of the usual 7 Canadians...correct me if I am wrong but thats what Ive been seeing

2 minutes ago, Booch said:

Grass roots hockey does just fine and there is no stipulating you need X amount of Canadians....If the Jets had no Canadians...would fans stop watching...doubt it....If CFL went to an all Canadian player base...they would lose more fans than they would if they went to an all American Player base...the game would become not worth the price you have to pay to go see it, and the gap between elite layer and slug would be laughable

every where i read they added an extra Canadian but its the 3/5 yr american on top of the usual 7 Canadians...correct me if I am wrong but thats what Ive been seeing

That's a bullshit comparison. The NHL has never been in a position where it was in only canada and had the potential to employ only americans. There can't really be any comparisons to the CFL because of these unique rules. Grass roots hockey does fine because of the focus and energy that was put on Canadian players long long ago. If there were little or no Canadian hockey stars, do you think it'd still be as popular as it is today?

1 minute ago, Booch said:

last I looked the NFL game is completely different than the CFL game...The part that makes the CFL unique is the rules...the field, and the fact it's all Canadian teams.....is the NFL now unique because they employ the best of the best Canadian players....I think not

specifically the ratio