2021/22 - CFL Offseason - Non-Back-to-Back Grey Cup Champion Thread

JCon

It's been a tough couple of years ending in a long, cold and snowy winter and delayed spring. I cannot express how much I have been looking forward to the CFL season as a significant step towards normalcy. CFL teams are not awash with money and from my admittedly quick perusal of the agreement, it seemed to be fair. Neither side was wildly happy about it, which usually means it was a good compromise. 

Just now, JuranBoldenRules said:

The PA might want to consider having a more representative bargaining committee in the future.  Having a bunch of American players leading the way with the administrators probably led to this.  Don't want to go to members with a deal you expect to be ratified and have it voted down.

I think this maybe the first time American were leads. 

Bitterly disappointed. I can’t imagine the next offer being any better. I hope this scrap the 49 percent thing is all it takes and it gets done. 
 I also hope the cfl doesn’t get all ham fisted over this. at this point no one has leverage. Every one is about to lose a bunch of money and hurt the league. 

Soley at the feet of the Canadians...u still have your gauranteed 7 starting spots...you don't want your reps cut down...prove your worth and stop crying. Canadians have been beneficiary of all previous agreements and paid in many instances well beyond what they should...and many a u.s player shown the road due to being ousted by a far inferior Canadian ..sure it's the CFL but quality shouldn't be compromised by nationality...I can tell you first hand many a great player had opted to not even come here as he has had guys in his ear telling him to not waste his time cause he gonna be cut for a Canadian player who in some cases woukd be hard pressed to start on a top notch JUCO team..this is facts

You still will require Canadian backups above and beyond the actual starting 7...not just naturalized Americans...suck it up..prove your worth..if it's mainly the Canadians balking at the 49% thing..and having American league stars who stick in league and with same team being somewhat rewarded for it...guys who put butts in seats and have their merchsndise fly off shelves..they can eat a bag...

Edited by Booch

57 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

The PA might want to consider having a more representative bargaining committee in the future.  Having a bunch of American players leading the way with the administrators probably led to this.  Don't want to go to members with a deal you expect to be ratified and have it voted down.

The bargaining committee was majority Canadian 

This hurts the brain,unless they found something in the tiniest writing there should of been no reason for this. Doug is right,it's going to be a little awkward in these dressing rooms and hopefully it doesn't create a bit of a divide or take away from team chemistry.

10 minutes ago, Mike said:

Great for the overall quality of the game, especially when it’s been trending downward for years 

Exactly, after losing a season due to the pandemic, the lack of quality QB’s, the bad broadcasts, terrible marketing, and the huge issue of not being able to attract new fans there’s a lot of issues that need to be fixed, and a strike is absolutely the last thing this league needs right now. 

The CFLPA sent out an internal memo late Monday evening updating its membership regarding the union’s decision to vote against the tentative collective bargaining agreement that was struck last week.

The memo was obtained in full by 3DownNation.

Gentlemen,

There is currently not enough support from the CFLPA membership to ratify the most recent offer from the CFL. The CFLPA has communicated with the league that a new memorandum of understanding (MOU) can be achieved if the league is prepared to resolve the outstanding issues quickly.

In reviewing and discussing the offer, all CFLPA members maintained to the bargaining committee that, while many components of the current offer align with the direction that’s been provided by the membership, there remain critical outstanding items that must still be resolved in order to achieve a fair deal. 

The entire CFLPA membership has indicated a strong desire to come to a fair agreement as soon as possible so that players can work and fans and partners can get back to celebrating the game. With that, the CFLPA bargaining committee has already informed the CFL which items within the package still need further negotiation in order to satisfy the membership and keep discussions moving forward as efficiently as possible.

The CFLPA bargaining committee remains committed to doing everything it can to find a fair resolution on behalf of its membership and come to a memorandum of understanding (MOU) with the CFL on a new and fair collective agreement (CBA) as quickly as possible.

If you have any further questions, please speak directly to your player reps who have just been briefed in detail.

In solidarity,

Your CFLPA