2021/22 - CFL Offseason - Non-Back-to-Back Grey Cup Champion Thread

JCon

Yeah one thing to consider to is yes the housing market is crazy but in Vancouver a literal inhabitable shack is on the market for 1.5 million, meanwhile me and my girl friend were about to buy our first home before we were 30 for under 200 thousand in a safe neighbourhood so like I said pros and cons to each city, if I was living in Vancouver or a place like Toronto or Montreal the dream of owning a home would be just that.. a dream. 

1 hour ago, Mark F said:

The cold is probably a good thing, keeps out the riff raff...

I have travelled to a few places...... in and out of canada. The landscapes you see in Manitoba are pretty darn nice.

the town of Pinawa, retirement community, quiet, has a hospital, music, the arts, right on the banks of very beautiful Winnipeg river,  absolute wilderness, one hour drive through farmland, to the Peg.

amazing.

I'm born there, raised there and, God willing, I'll die there... We look at a lot of retirement properties in various MB/NW Ont areas, but at the end of the day, we'll likely end up back in Pinawa when it's all said and done. 

The housing market in Van-bloody-cover has always been nuts. When we moved there in the 90s we sold our new house (infill) in River Heights which was paid off and ended up with a mortgage that was worth more than our Winnipeg house to live out in Surrey.

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

Yeah I feel when people talk about Edmonton being scenic, they're talking about Jasper, to the west, which is really nice. Edmonton itself is really just like Winnipeg. 

I've lived in both, and obviously I'm bias. But I ******* hated Edmonton. To be fair though I much prefer Brandon to Winnipeg. Not much of a big city guy 

5 hours ago, Stretch said:

So Lawler is praising the city where a team is paying him a ridiculous amount of money? You don't say...

He can say all the nice things about Edmonton that he wants. Just don't say anything negative about Winnipeg. He was treated extremely well here so why even do that? Plus, you know how Winnipeggers are. Sorta like, you can think your sister is ugly. That's okay. But if anyone else says she is then look out.

39 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

The housing market in Van-bloody-cover has always been nuts. When we moved there in the 90s we sold our new house (infill) in River Heights which was paid off and ended up with a mortgage that was worth more than our Winnipeg house to live out in Surrey.

Now the craziness has spread to Vancouver Island. People are selling their homes in the Lower Mainland & are moving there as the housing prices are more affordable. But driving up prices for everyone so how long will that last? 

44 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

I grew up in River Heights. Beautiful area! My parents still have their home there.

I've been to Edmonton a few times  and lived there for 2 years. It's an ok place but honestly it seemed like it was always colder there than here. 

Only thing they have that we don't is the big mall. 

I remember tho calling home *wpg and my mom asking me how the weather was and her telling me, oh really its not as cold here today. 

Honestly thought Edmonton winters were colder 

2 hours ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

Yeah one thing to consider to is yes the housing market is crazy but in Vancouver a literal inhabitable shack is on the market for 1.5 million, meanwhile me and my girl friend were about to buy our first home before we were 30 for under 200 thousand in a safe neighbourhood so like I said pros and cons to each city, if I was living in Vancouver or a place like Toronto or Montreal the dream of owning a home would be just that.. a dream. 

And the rest of the country suffers because of the markets in Toronto & Vancouver with extra restrictions on buyers like a stupid stress test. have rules especially for them but don't punish the rest of us.

Just now, Tracker said:

I suggest that the whole Canadian housing market is overheated and due for a significant correction within the next year or so. That is gonna hurt a lot of people who scraped together the minimum down payment and bought homes they could barely afford on two incomes.

We had our correction here in Calgary. I think the home swent down by 30% when the downturn started in 2015. Housing $$ have come back in the last year but still aren't where they were back then. 

Vancouver had a correction in the late 70s. It's been all upward since then despite folks calling for a correction every year or two. As it hasn't ended yet, we don't know how long it can last.

Vancouver under $350K is 1 derelict float home, 10 Condos, 7 of which are in leasehold buildings where you don't own anything other than the right to live there and the other 3 are in known leaky buildings. 

Winnipeg under $350K is 856 listings, including detached houses that look pretty nice.

Vancouver's West End, where I lived, is up 78% in the last 5 years alone. If you can afford to get into that market, you make a ton of non-taxed money every year, just living in it. You don't get that kind of bump in Winnipeg.

While not at the level of Vancouver and Toronto, the market in Winnipeg keeps increasing. In March, the average single family detached home was $439,535 which was up 14% from March of 2021. It's getting tough to own a house everywhere in Canada.

Back to the topic, apparently Edmonton is the only club not to have a CBA ratification vote yet.

This potential failure to ratify the new CBA by the players, (mostly Canadians I'd say) is so ridiculous that I won't comment on it until it actually happens & we know the reasons why. All I will do is quote a line, I've used in discussions here in the past, "Be careful what you wish for as it may come true." Let's hope cooler heads prevail & it's ratified.

Edited by SpeedFlex27