2021/22 - CFL Offseason - Non-Back-to-Back Grey Cup Champion Thread

JCon

21 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I could write a thesis on Edmonton vs Winnipeg. I love Edmonton.... Because it is so much like Winnipeg. It's Winnipeg if Winnipeg had oil money. 

I ******* LOVE Winnipeg and think it's the most underrated city in Canada. The second my life changes to the point where my wife and I are able to leave AB, I'm on my way... 

I mean I love Winnipeg too, but I don’t think I would if I was from somewhere else. Awful weather, deplorable conditions downtown, a generally filthy city, roads that are typically made up of at least 53% pothole, constant construction ruining any ability (that’s already so incredibly hampered) to get from point A to point B in a reasonable timeframe, an incredibly neglected homeless population, constant murder …

I love it because it’s our dump, but I would definitely not hesitate to call Winnipeg a dump.

45 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Is Edmonton really better though? Its not like he's in Toronto, Vancouver or Montreal.

Commonwealth seems like it’s basically in Edmonton’s version of skid row so I did find his comments surprising 

I grew up in Winnipeg, spent my first 21 years there. Lived in Bc, ON and now Alberta. 

Winnipeg has more charm than anyplace I have ever lived. More mom n pop shops which I love. 

But...it is a bit of a dump in comparison.  

Alberta has given me and my family a very comfortable life. (Earned) Winnipeg will always be home but I ain't ever moving back. 

With that being said...Gdam I miss Gondola pizza, new york burgers, Jonny G's, Sonia's drive in, the Whiteshell, Zacks on Jefferson, the Pemby, buying tiger shrimp for Red River cats, Sals, BDI, sitting in the endzone of the old stadium watching games with my Dad, and the smokies after the game from the street vendor outside Toys R Us, Sunday cruise down Portage. Kelly's corner store in Weston, running from the owners when they saw us stealing lollipops, spending the whole day with our GT Snowracers on Garbage Hill...There really is no place like the Peg in Canada, warts and all...it truly is a special place...but yeah, ain't moving back. 

It’s funny I met a couple yesterday from Vancouver that absolutely love Winnipeg, the food, the culture, the architecture. I work with a marketing agency and we went out for drinks and dinner with some clients that are from Alberta and Toronto respectively.. they both loved Winnipeg too. They like how friendly Manitobans are, the cool restaurants, how attractive the women are lol! Anyways long story short there’s pros and cons to every city but Winnipeg does have a charm to it. Everything they say is absolutely 100 percent correct. 

The only thing I want in life is to be able to drop my boat in the water every night after supper in the summer. To be within an hour of the greatest walleye fishing on earth 12 months of the year. To be around Jets fans and Bombers fans all the time. To be able to drive into the Canadian Shield any time I want. Some of the best breweries and taprooms in western Canada. (okay AB is pretty good for that too). 

Sorry for getting on a tangent, but I am insanely passionate about Manitoba (Winnipeg as a byproduct, even though I'm rural MB to the core) and anytime I see/hear people shitting on the province, I get really riled up. 

My wife, who is born and raised in Calgary, her whole family is from Manitoba. Mom born and raised in Brandon, dad a farmer from Sandy Lake. Her mom is in a care home with MS and she's the only child so we're the caregivers. We sincerely hope she lives forever, obviously, but being realistic, we regularly plan for our future once we're no longer caregivers. And that future is Manitoba.... Eventually. 

4 hours ago, Noeller said:

I could write a thesis on Edmonton vs Winnipeg. I love Edmonton.... Because it is so much like Winnipeg. It's Winnipeg if Winnipeg had oil money. 

I ******* LOVE Winnipeg and think it's the most underrated city in Canada. The second my life changes to the point where my wife and I are able to leave AB, I'm on my way... 

well...I lived in Winnipeg....T.O...San Fran....and Columbia MO.....and a coupe othe random points in between...could have continued there, or took up opportunity there, and well...where am I since 2003?....there a reason.....and every city has it's dumpy area, or negative attributes....But other than sheer size...I've found Winnipeg to have just as much or more than most in terms of things going on...and culture and what accompanies it....Lawler....I appreciate what he did here, but something was a bit off with him in some ways...and the fact he seems to take his subtle shots about certain things, and has really given no appreciation toward team/city or acknowledged "team" more than "him" is telling...truth be told...he won't be missed and we prob be a better over all group without him

Adams is the one that will be missed and is leaving a void...and I hated to see him leave, but we gonna be just fine

3 hours ago, Mike said:

I mean I love Winnipeg too, but I don’t think I would if I was from somewhere else. Awful weather, deplorable conditions downtown, a generally filthy city, roads that are typically made up of at least 53% pothole, constant construction ruining any ability (that’s already so incredibly hampered) to get from point A to point B in a reasonable timeframe, an incredibly neglected homeless population, constant murder …

I love it because it’s our dump, but I would definitely not hesitate to call Winnipeg a dump.

Commonwealth seems like it’s basically in Edmonton’s version of skid row so I did find his comments surprising 

My brother works as a rspirstory therapist...as well as used to be a Paramedic in Edmonton....first hand communication from him is Edm is a shithole...riddled way worse with crime...thugs...and homeless, and general filth...he says way worse than Winnipeg...worst apparently in Canada for what the emergency/healthcare system has to deal with...Saskatoon running up there as well with the leaders...and yes...said commonwealth is in the shitsville

3 hours ago, Noeller said:

The only thing I want in life is to be able to drop my boat in the water every night after supper in the summer. To be within an hour of the greatest walleye fishing on earth 12 months of the year. To be around Jets fans and Bombers fans all the time. To be able to drive into the Canadian Shield any time I want. Some of the best breweries and taprooms in western Canada. (okay AB is pretty good for that too). 

Sorry for getting on a tangent, but I am insanely passionate about Manitoba (Winnipeg as a byproduct, even though I'm rural MB to the core) and anytime I see/hear people shitting on the province, I get really riled up. 

My wife, who is born and raised in Calgary, her whole family is from Manitoba. Mom born and raised in Brandon, dad a farmer from Sandy Lake. Her mom is in a care home with MS and she's the only child so we're the caregivers. We sincerely hope she lives forever, obviously, but being realistic, we regularly plan for our future once we're no longer caregivers. And that future is Manitoba.... Eventually. 

I absolutely love Manitoba so I’m with you on that. Just bought a cabin last fall (in Ontario, but still) because my wife and I have fallen in love with the life that rural MB can offer.

my gripe is solely with Winnipeg lol 

39 minutes ago, Mike said:

I absolutely love Manitoba so I’m with you on that. Just bought a cabin last fall (in Ontario, but still) because my wife and I have fallen in love with the life that rural MB can offer.

my gripe is solely with Winnipeg lol 

I'm about 5 years from paying off my house, and as soon as that's done, Heather and I are buying a property in MB as a retirement property, and we'll pay for it while we're still working and then hopefully be debt free with two properties when we retire and be in good shape. It's all I think about every moment of every day. 

15 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Lawler took a shot at Winnipeg saying he likes Edmonton because it's "more scenic" & it's a lot bigger. There's more to do, he says. I'd think that since our teams made him who he is & the fans loved him here that he could have kept his mouth shut & not make going to Edmonton a personal thing. Any outsider who says negative things about My City is fighting words. 

So Lawler is praising the city where a team is paying him a ridiculous amount of money? You don't say...

I don't get where Lawler thinks it's more scenic in Alta......Granted this isn't Edm. but if you travel a little north and get a look at their tailing ponds, you'll know what I mean...I don't recall anything like that mess in Manitoba....or in the vicinity of the Peg....in fact our beach areas put that cesspool to shame....But beauty is in the eye of the beholder....it's just that that exBomber beholder better have a closer look before he starts mouthing off

18 minutes ago, CodyT said:

Had the unfortunate circumstance of living about 4 blocks from commonwealth for about 4 months...it is a sketchy sketchy area. You hear the drug whistle calls at night time like you do in the movies. Lol 

Yeah I feel when people talk about Edmonton being scenic, they're talking about Jasper, to the west, which is really nice. Edmonton itself is really just like Winnipeg. 

The cold is probably a good thing, keeps out the riff raff...

I have travelled to a few places...... in and out of canada. The landscapes you see in Manitoba are pretty darn nice.

the town of Pinawa, retirement community, quiet, has a hospital, music, the arts, right on the banks of very beautiful Winnipeg river,  absolute wilderness, one hour drive through farmland, to the Peg.

amazing.

Edited by Mark F

10 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Not for me. I retired 5 years ago @ 60.

I'm 15 yrs. into ...retired at 55.....Remember that was all the talk back in the day when you could pull the pin and live happily on your pension and or mutual funds/investments....hmmmmmm that's seems to have slipped away and I see where 17to85 is coming from....Those numbers might be just about right for reitirement in the future..... start work at 17 retire at 85.....Don't like what I'm seeing....When I run into some guys from old workplace I used to jibe with them and say  'keep paying into that pension fund guys  ...  gotta keep that dough rollin in.....I don't do that anymore for fear of having something thrown at me....Gotta feel for a lot of employee's of today

Edited by Stickem

11 hours ago, Noeller said:

I'm about 5 years from paying off my house, and as soon as that's done, Heather and I are buying a property in MB as a retirement property, and we'll pay for it while we're still working and then hopefully be debt free with two properties when we retire and be in good shape. It's all I think about every moment of every day. 

Debt free at 30! Also love this city and all its' warts. Have fun having [INSERT STARTING QB NAME HERE] throw to you Lawler.