2021/22 - CFL Offseason - Non-Back-to-Back Grey Cup Champion Thread

JCon

4 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

I guess there's a new job... Snap Counter. They'll need an app that they click on which players are in on each snap and keeps a running snap count for offence, as second one for defence and a running % for each Yankee NI.

Actually, there won't be any in game penalty for snap % infractions. If there were, then you'd have to have Canadian's first, Yankee NI's second and keep the Canadian's in 1 additional play each set of downs. Otherwise, their would be a snap % infraction as soon as the Yankee NI plays as many plays or more than the real NI. Example: If you start your Yankee NI's. Play one, they are over 50% of the plays.

It's just stupid.

Ratio should be simple: Minimum X Canadians, Maximum Y Imports. Minimum Z Canadian starters.

No need to count, chips in helmets are coming, within a few years every player will have a chip in their helmet which tracks plays they're involved in, player direction and speed, and whether they're on the field or off.  More stats. will create more tie ins for gambling and fantasy football.

22 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

The bombers are likely situated well to utilize their wealth of Canadian defensive backs as essentially a starter. Depending i guess on how much Dime we play.  You could start a Canadian linebacker and Kyrie Wilson can be a nationalized import who plays the majority of the time when we actually have a linebacker on the field. And the rest of the time we bring in one of our many Canadian defensive backs in passing situations. 

The problem with doing that is Wilson would be restricted to playing 49.9% of snaps, so no advantage.

14 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

The problem with doing that is Wilson would be restricted to playing 49.9% of snaps, so no advantage.

It somewhat depends on how many snaps he is typically on the field for and how often we bring in a defensive back for him.  If he is typically on the field for 60% of snaps its not that much of a drop off to move that to 49% percent and use a combination of Canadian DB's and linebackers. 

I wonder if remaining free-agents who quality as Nationalized Imports. 

Here's a complete list.

Don Unamba
Drake Nevis
John White
Kenny Stafford
Bear Woods
Ciante Evans
Josh Johnson
Jamar Wall
Alex Bazzie
Devier Posey
Chris Rainey

Another potential impact could be to American kickers. Long term you are wasting an opportunity to have a Nationalized Import on offensive or defense by using a DI at kicker. That position could move more towards national/global as time wears on. 

Edited by Colin Unger

9 minutes ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

How am I only finding out today that the Shreveport Pirates and Las Vegas Posse both have parody twitter accounts?

Related: If anyone's looking for a good CFL read, Ed Willes has a really fantastic book about the US expansion era of the CFL called "Border Wars and Endzones" that's available on Amazon and other places. Really fun read about a crazy time in CFL history...

19 minutes ago, Noeller said:

maybe mildly concerning, but hopefully it's much ado about nothing............

Hopefully it's nothing. I was reminded recently that the way the negotiators view deals versus balance of the union membership can be quite different. The MLBPA negotiating team did not endorse the CBA but the membership voted overwhelmingly in favour. Sometimes, the negotiators have done enough, even if they don't feel it. 

Edited by JCon

5 minutes ago, JCon said:

Hopefully it's nothing. I was reminded recently that the way the negotiators view deals versus balance of the union membership can be quite different. The MLBPA negotiating team did not endorse the CBA but the membership voted overwhelmingly in favour. Sometimes, the negotiators have done enough, even if they don't feel it. 

Yep, Ackie even mentions that just because he feels one way, doesn't mean others will.  I can understand Canadian players not being happy about the ratio but there were a lot of gains on the players side.  You're never going to be 100% happy and that goes for both sides, like I'm sure the ownership group isn't overly thrilled with giving up a chunk of Grey Cup revenue.

1 minute ago, JCon said:

I don't know if Nick has what it takes to be a starter in this league but he sure seems to get the shaft wherever he goes. 

He'll either get his opportunity in Edmonton or he'll get traded elsewhere (again).

There are never enough QBs to have one sitting on the bench.

5 minutes ago, JCon said:

They tried trading him in the offseason. 

Yeah, but someone will get hurt or underperform (Cornelius, for example) and he'll get a shot.

If Edmonton is shopping him, teams will just wait and see if he gets released. But if a need comes up for someone, his value increases.

34 minutes ago, JCon said:

They tried trading him in the offseason. 

True, but it won't take much for some teams to get really desperate. Ssk, bc, ott, ham even us. One scary hit that doesn't even knock the no1 qb out could have teams squirting out a draft pick and buying a pack of depends. 

Personally I'm not all in on rourke in bc. Maybe he's taken a big step in the off season. He's a great talent, but I just don't see him as a guy ready to shoulder a franchise. 

38 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Yeah, but someone will get hurt or underperform (Cornelius, for example) and he'll get a shot.

If Edmonton is shopping him, teams will just wait and see if he gets released. But if a need comes up for someone, his value increases.

Same thing happened to him last year, when One Throw Over The Cuckoo's Nest took over and became the Argo starter. He got moved to the L(k)'s who shut him down for whatever reason and extended him. He just doesn't seem to get a consistent chance. 

Just now, JCon said:

Same thing happened to him last year, when One Throw Over The Cuckoo's Nest took over and became the Argo starter. He got moved to the L(k)'s who shut him down for whatever reason and extended him. He just doesn't seem to get a consistent chance. 

Some guys are just dominant in practice and camp but can't find it at game speed. Doesn't help that the guy hasn't had a decent OL since he left cal. I'd take him in a heart beat in wpg on a decent price. 

Teams right now are enamored with raw, high up side dual threat qbs. We can't get the 3-4 year starters at spread offenses with 12k+ career passing yards any more. Those teams are pipe lines for the NFL now.  So the cfl has pivoted to guys who are highly touted, go to a big school but it doesn't work out and transfer to a small school and play well but don't see a ton of action, or the opposite. High potential, low actualization with hopes of developing what was missed out in college. 

On paper a guy like Corny has a lot of appeal. He's tall, heavy, athletic, got tremendous arm talent, and he's started some games and looked better than dreww brown on a bad team. It's easy for teams to lose sight of what a guy like Arbuckle has going for him. He's just a talented qb.  

5 minutes ago, Tracker said:

I can see him ending up in Vancouver.

that Canadian QB situation is curious. I thought the kid showed well backing up Reilly last year, but we'll see how he does when he's The Man that everyone is prepping for all week. It's a huge Risk/Reward thing...

7 minutes ago, Noeller said:

that Canadian QB situation is curious. I thought the kid showed well backing up Reilly last year, but we'll see how he does when he's The Man that everyone is prepping for all week. It's a huge Risk/Reward thing...

Then how far off is oconner behind him though? I think they only have 3 qbs under contract right now and from what I heard teams are going back to a 3 qb roster. Of all the questionable positions teams have league wide, bc's qb spot is the biggest question mark. And thats the last position you want a ?