2021/22 - CFL Offseason - Non-Back-to-Back Grey Cup Champion Thread

JCon

Blue Bombers’ vet Americans who would currently qualify as a “nationalized Canadian”:

B. Alexander, A. Bighill, S. Bryant, Z. Collaros (although QB may have it’s own designation), G. Ellington, J. Hardrick, J. Jeffcoat, W. Jefferson, N. Taylor, K. Wilson

Also possibly M. Maston, D. Prokop, and J .Saunders depending on how the league views players under contract who missed a season on the injured list or the pandemic lost year. 

2 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Blue Bombers’ vet Americans who would currently qualify as a “nationalized Canadian”:

B. Alexander, A. Bighill, S. Bryant, Z. Collaros (although QB may have it’s own designation), G. Ellington, J. Hardrick, J. Jeffcoat, W. Jefferson, N. Taylor, K. Wilson

Also possibly M. Maston, D. Prokop, and J .Saunders depending on how the league views players under contract who missed a season on the injured list or the pandemic lost year. 

The other question is how the 49% of snaps will be calculated. If it is total plays in a game, then a defensive player may be able to play almost every defensive snap if you count the team’s offensive snaps in their number. If it is only the defensive plays for the defensive players and offensive snaps for the offensive players, then how are kicking plays defined? Lots of strange loopholes to be exploited. 

So everything ive read online, including the Riders website, says that today is the day they open Grey Cup tickets for CFL season ticket holders. Been trying to buy all morning. Nothing. So i chat with Chelsea at the Bombers and she tells me that apparently theyve pushed back the date to May 26. Nowhere online can i find any type of info saying they have pushed back the date. Kind of important. Might want to change your f****** website Riders. Nice job. Looks pretty stupid on the league too. Talk about mickey mouse. Your championship game and its a cluster**** to figure out how/when to get tickets. Unreal.

Edited by Bubba Zanetti

3 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

So everything ive read online, including the Riders website, says that today is the day they open Grey Cup tickets for CFL season ticket holders. Been trying to buy all morning. Nothing. So i chat with Chelsea at the Bombers and she tells me that apparently theyve pushed back the date to May 26. Nowhere online can i find any type of info saying they have pushed back the date. Kind of important. Might want to change your f****** website Riders. Nice job. Looks pretty stupid on the league too. Talk about mickey mouse. Your championship game and its a cluster**** to figure out how/when to get tickets. Unreal.

Before you launch into the “Mickey Mouse” league stuff, just remember that when Dallas hosted the Super Bowl they sold the same seat multiple times and left a few hundred fans standing in a tunnel with only a partial view of the Jumbotron and no actual field sight line as their game-day “solution”, and this for tickets priced at thousands of dollars. Take a breath, you will get your access soon enough. 

1 minute ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Before you launch into the “Mickey Mouse” league stuff, just remember that when Dallas hosted the Super Bowl they sold the same seat multiple times and left a few hundred fans standing in a tunnel with only a partial view of the Jumbotron and no actual field sight line as their game-day “solution”, and this for tickets priced at thousands of dollars. Take a breath, you will get your access soon enough. 

Is it too much to ask that somewhere, anywhere, someone from the league could have made the ticket buying public aware that the date TO PURCHASE YOUR CHAMPIONSHIP GAME TICKETS has been pushed back??!? Not one friggin' article or announcement anywhere?!?! Thats mickey mouse.

I guess there's a new job... Snap Counter. They'll need an app that they click on which players are in on each snap and keeps a running snap count for offence, as second one for defence and a running % for each Yankee NI.

Actually, there won't be any in game penalty for snap % infractions. If there were, then you'd have to have Canadian's first, Yankee NI's second and keep the Canadian's in 1 additional play each set of downs. Otherwise, their would be a snap % infraction as soon as the Yankee NI plays as many plays or more than the real NI. Example: If you start your Yankee NI's. Play one, they are over 50% of the plays.

It's just stupid.

Ratio should be simple: Minimum X Canadians, Maximum Y Imports. Minimum Z Canadian starters.

14 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

I guess there's a new job... Snap Counter. They'll need an app that they click on which players are in on each snap and keeps a running snap count for offence, as second one for defence and a running % for each Yankee NI.

Actually, there won't be any in game penalty for snap % infractions. If there were, then you'd have to have Canadian's first, Yankee NI's second and keep the Canadian's in 1 additional play each set of downs. Otherwise, their would be a snap % infraction as soon as the Yankee NI plays as many plays or more than the real NI. Example: If you start your Yankee NI's. Play one, they are over 50% of the plays.

It's just stupid.

Ratio should be simple: Minimum X Canadians, Maximum Y Imports. Minimum Z Canadian starters.

Yeah I'm going to guess the rules on this changes within 1 year ornless of its implementation. Too hard to penalize in game. A fine sucks, but losing sucks more...especially if you're a coach who has been known to stretch the rules in the past...

22 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Yeah I'm going to guess the rules on this changes within 1 year ornless of its implementation. Too hard to penalize in game. A fine sucks, but losing sucks more...especially if you're a coach who has been known to stretch the rules in the past...

Oh, we all know who you speak of... and he's got some choice words for you...

ThisBonyBarnswallow-max-1mb.gif

Edited by Babycakes

34 minutes ago, Stickem said:

I can just see it now....a ref with a counter on his belt with the ability to record players number and snaps they took......What is this league coming to.....talk about attention to detail and prone to error.....

There is a command centre that should easily be able to count em up at the end of the game. However, in game, I can't see how you could possibly enforce it as no one knows how many plays there will be.

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

It's just stupid.

I think we're at a point with the way the game is played and everyone on the roster having a role on O or D aside from only 2-3 guys per team (and a kicker or two) that the ratio could go by the wayside.  To be clear by "ratio" I mean the declare 7 Canadian starters, DI's and QB's.

If anything add one to the roster, a Canadian, and drop one DI for another Canadian.  At that point teams are basically locked in to starting 6-7 Canadians for sure with more guys being role players.  Nobody plays every down anymore particularly on D, you've got maybe one LB and 2-3 DB's who play every down.

Edited by JuranBoldenRules

Let’s face it, this whole “nationalized Canadian” thing is just a way for the owners to slowly reduce/eliminate the Canadian ratio rules over the next few years. I suspect the owners want cleaner language than what they agreed to (as evidenced by their original offer) as their ultimate goal is to not overpay for a higher demand Canadian player in place of an American who is likely more skilled and would come cheaper due to supply. The CFLPA needs the appearance of fighting to protect the Canadian jobs so they ask for a hybrid 51/49 model to give the illusion of fighting for all members, when the rumour is that Americans are bothered by seeing Canadians get more pay based on their passport and not necessarily  their skill set, and this agreement in effect starts squeezing them out. So both sides agreed to this messy arrangement to play the long game.
This is the second CBA that has allowed the “nationalized Canadian” and last time the Tiger-Cats exploited the loophole to start a Canadian for one play and then let them “get injured “ and replace them with an American. Despite getting busted for it I don’t think they had any severe consequences for it (paid an undisclosed fine). 

Just now, TrueBlue4ever said:

Let’s face it, this whole “nationalized Canadian” thing is just a way for the owners to slowly reduce/eliminate the Canadian ratio rules over the next few years. 

I understand what you're saying but I see it two ways. Yes, it may reduce the number of Nationals, which I do not agree with, but it also leads to more players staying with their team. That has also been identified as a concern. 

I'm not sure how the finances will shake out but, all of sudden, Willie is worth a lot more to the Bombers if he can be a "National", no? 

I can see more of the same problems that exist with National vs International salaries.

---

Did they say anything about Globals?

2 hours ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Is it too much to ask that somewhere, anywhere, someone from the league could have made the ticket buying public aware that the date TO PURCHASE YOUR CHAMPIONSHIP GAME TICKETS has been pushed back??!? Not one friggin' article or announcement anywhere?!?! Thats mickey mouse.

https://www.grey cup festival.ca/109th-grey-cup-tickets/

The 109th Grey Cup tickets will go on sale to the remaining 8 team’s season ticket holders on May 26th, 2022. Tickets will go on sale to the general public on June 14th, 2022.

They corrected the website this morning, albeit only in the last two hours or so. It’s Saskatchewan, this would qualify as Operation Warp Speed for them. 

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

Ratio should be easy to understand, easy to implement and easy to penalize.

Minimum X Canadians, Minimum Y Canadian starters, Maximum Z Imports, No special QB ratio rules.

Believe me. This wasn't about the fans this was about the league and players fighting over scraps.

Regarding the 3 additional nationalized import playing a maximum of 49% of snaps. Lets assume a scenario where we have Jake Thomas and Kongbo is back with us from the NFL and due to some circumstances Jackson Jeffcoat is not available. We start Thomas at DT and Kongbo at DE. Does this mean that a DI who is a nationalized american can play 49% of Kongbo's snaps at defensive end and also 49% of Thomas' snaps at DT?  Ok so if that's not how it works the other way around is even more suspectable to manipulation.  If a given DI nationalized import can play a maximum of 49% of the staps period in place of a national it opens up a different scernio. The Bombers could have two nationalized americans who backup up at defensive tackle. Each could play in place of Jake Thomas for 49% of the snaps which would add up to a total of 98% or essentially an additional american starter. Id like to see some clarity on how exactly this works. Probably the league doesn't even know how it works yet!!  Too busy negotiating to worry about the practicality. 

The bombers are likely situated well to utilize their wealth of Canadian defensive backs as essentially a starter. Depending i guess on how much Dime we play.  You could start a Canadian linebacker and Kyrie Wilson can be a nationalized import who plays the majority of the time when we actually have a linebacker on the field. And the rest of the time we bring in one of our many Canadian defensive backs in passing situations. 

I made a list of possible nationalized import on the bombers roster. My vote is to give Bighill the honor of being our nationalized import starter.

37        Alexander, Brandon    DB    A    6'0    180    28    UCF
4        Bighill, Adam    LB    A    5'10    219    33    Central Washington
66        Bryant, Stanley    OL    A    6'5    313    36    East Carolina
2        Ellingson, Greg    WR    A    6'3    211    33    Florida International
51        Hardrick, Jermarcus    OL    A    6'5    319    31    Nebraska
94        Jeffcoat, Jackson    DE    A    6'3    243    31    Texas
5        Jefferson, Willie    DL    A    6'7    242    31    Stephen F. Austin
9        Taylor, Nick    DB    A    5'9    181    34    Florida International
19        Wilson, Kyrie    LB    A    6'1    221    29    Fresno State

3 hours ago, Babycakes said:

Oh, we all know who you speak of... and he's got some choice words for you...

ThisBonyBarnswallow-max-1mb.gif

I see Dave Dickenson as the bigger culprit of stretching the rules...

Exhibit A: getting a receiver on the opposite side of the field to run over a DB in order to challenge for illegal contact when a pass goes incomplete in a critical situation.